Sharpe's Enemy

by Bernard Cornwell

Series: Sharpe's Adventures: Publication order (1812), Sharpe's Adventures (16, 1812)

1,019915,492 (4.01)14
A band of renegades led by Sharpe's vicious mortal enemy, Obadiah Hakeswill, holds a group of British and French women hostage in a strategic mountain pass. On the other side of the pass, Napoleon's Grande ArmTe seeks to smash through and crush the British army in Portugal. Outnumbered and attacked from two sides, Sharpe must hold his ground or die in the attempt.… (more)

Perhaps I'll pen a proper review someday, but were I to do so now it would be nothing but expletives and spoilers. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Now a Major, Sharpe in the mountains battling against deserters and the French. Really good stuff... ( )
  cbinstead | Jun 2, 2016 |
I found this Sharpe adventure with a rescue attempt, a Christmas challenge and exciting fighting an engaging read that kept me turning pages. ( )
  mari_reads | Oct 18, 2015 |
Perhaps my favourite Sharpe, with a well described but quite fictional main battle piece. It's a bit redolent of the war-games table, but a fine fight. Obadiah Hawkeswill, gotta love ya! ( )
  DinadansFriend | Nov 2, 2013 |
This was a pretty good book in that you see Sharpe thinking outside of the box in his new rank as Major. Obadia is there but I really don't think he added much to the story; I think the best story with Obadia was in Sharpe's Tiger which of course while the first of the series was written later. Obadia had an almost comical beginning and an ending which I suppose is satisfying on one level but sad on another...won't spoil things for you. I like the addition of new characters such as "Sweet William" ( )
  Lynxear | Jan 6, 2011 |

Bernard Cornwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soileau, HodgesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuart, NeilCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daughter, with love
On December 8th, 1812, the English soldiers first came to Adrados.
...this system is yet in its infancy
...much has been accomplished in a short time and there is every reason to believe that the accuracy of the Rocket may be actually brought upon a par with that of other artillery ammunition for all the important purposes of field service.
--Colonel Sir William Congreve. 1814

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,373,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible