The Best Revenge by Stephen White

The Best Revenge (2003)

by Stephen White

Psychologist Alan Gregory is treating two new patients, a former death row inmate and the FBI agent who dug up the evidence to set him free. With both patients telling him their innermost secrets, Alan becomes the person who can solve the puzzle of two unsolved deaths.

A man is released from prison after he spent 13 years on death row for a murder he didn’t commit. Or did he? Throughout, Stephen White’s The Best Revenge, it seems so, then it seems not, then it seems so, etc. And you’ll keep changing your mind as you try to pick up the clues.

I found, though, I missed plenty of clues when I thought White was just giving background at the beginning of the book. Read it carefully.

Someone is making life miserable for the ex-con. Or are they? Why is an FBI agent interested in him? How can their psychologist act ethically knowing what he knows?

A good mystery/thriller does at least three things: 1) it doesn’t make you read several chapters before the action starts; 2) it keeps you from doing anything else because you don’t want to put it down; and 3) it makes you anticipate what’s going to happen, but what happens isn’t what you anticipated. I thought this book accomplished all three of those things.

If you read it, be aware: mysteries and clues to the mysteries bigan at the beginning.

I’m happy to say that I found an author, i.e., Stephen White is a new author for me, and now I get to read the rest of what he’s written. If you like a good mystery/thriller and you haven’t read White yet, I suggest you do. ( )
  techeditor | Apr 8, 2011 |
Very much enjoyed this book. It had a few surprises in it, which doesn't often happen for me anymore. I was interested to find that this was number 11 in a series, but perfectly capable of standing alone. I didn't feel as though I had come to class unprepared. ( )
  millhold | Mar 22, 2011 |
I enjoyed the book more than most I have recently read. There were times when I wanted to skip pages, but I didn't. Then there were chapters that fast forwarded. All of a sudden the character was doing something that I had no prior information of. In fact, I had to go back and look in previous chapters to see if I missed something. All in all, it was a good psychological thriller. I enjoyed the fast pace. Good twist at the end. ( )
  Boutabook | Jul 16, 2010 |
A memorable book. Interesting Author! Surprise twist at the end makes this a worthwhile read. Also interesting physical descriptions of Colorado landscape and geography. ( )
  caroren | Feb 6, 2010 |
I found this story pretty thrilling and there's some seriously twisted stuff that comes from one of the characters. This story held my interest and I blazed through the chapters pretty quickly, but my only complaint is that it runs long in some areas. I wasn't interested in the many geography lessons and weather lessons of Colorado, but if you skim over that, you will enjoy the rest of the pace of this story. I will definitely read more of Mr. White's books. :) ( )
  MrsLara | Aug 24, 2009 |
There are two tradgedies in life.
One is not to get your heart's desire.
The other is to get it. - George Bernard Shaw

If the desire to kill and the opportunity to kill came along together, who would escape hanging? - Mark Twain
This one's in memory of Peter Barton
If Kelda James hadn't been wearing inch-and-a-half heels and the toilet paper roll hadn't been empty, Rosa Alija would probably be dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,326,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible