bow wow meow meow: it's rhyming cats and…

bow wow meow meow: it's rhyming cats and dogs

by Douglas Florian

This is a book of poetry, where each poem rhymes and is about cats or dogs.
The poems have cats or dogs as main characters and show their story in poem form. The
poem I chose to look at specifically is called the Dachshund. It is about the shape of this
dog and does a very good job with describing what the dog looks like. Children can relate to this book easily because many of them probably have pets. ( )
  SarahKateDye | Nov 14, 2017 |
25 months - O was not thrilled reading this book of poetry. I think the only one we enjoyed was about a Poodle who had Oodles of Curls. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
In my opinion, this book “Bow Wow Meow Meow” is a good book. The entire book is made up of multiple poems, and the beginning poems were about dogs, and the poems at the end of the book were about cats. I liked how the first poem of the book was about dogs in general. For example, the first poem was “Dog Log” and it was about what goes through a dogs mind. To begin the cat section, it started off with a poem about cats in general as well. The name of the poem was “Cat Chat”. I also liked this book of poems because they all had rhythm to each one of them. Each poem was about a different type of dog or cat. The poem I enjoyed the most was the poodle poem, because the words with typed in circles as if it were the poodles’ hair. The big idea of this book, or in all of the poems, was to inform the reader about the different types of dogs and animals. ( )
  KellieMcFadzen | Mar 2, 2015 |
SUMMARY
This poetry book contains various poems describing different breeds of cats and dogs. The book includes both domestic and wild animals.

REVIEW
This poetry book was really fun, especially as an animal lover. Each poem addresses a different breed of dog or cat. The poems are accompanied with fun illustrations of the specific breed. I loved when the text of the poem had movement in it that fit the breed it was addressing. For instance, in the poem The Dalmatian, all of the O's in the poem were filled in to resemble the black spots that are on a dalmatian. ( )
  tstato1 | Oct 27, 2014 |
Bow Wow Meow Meow, its Rhyming Cats and Dogs
By Douglas Florian

I liked Bow Wow Meow Meow, its Rhyming Cats and Dogs by Douglas Florian for three reasons. First, I liked how the table of contents is split into columns. The left column consists of dog poems, and the right column consists of cat poems. Another way to view it is the first twenty-six pages contain poems about dogs, and pages twenty-eight through forty-six contain poems about cats. Second, I liked how the illustrations are on one side of the page, and the poems are on the opposite side. This is nice because the photos do not consume the reader’s attention as he or she reads the poem. Lastly, I liked the specific poem, The Leopard on page forty-two. I liked this poem because of the way it is displayed on the page. Specifically, the poem reads, “Leopard leaped up in a tree,” and the word leaped escalades upward letter by letter. In addition, the last line of the poem reads, “On its prey the leopard fell,” and the word fell falls downward letter by letter. This is a unique formatting technique. Overall, the “big idea” of Bow Wow Meow Meow, its Rhyming Cats and Dogs is teach readers about the different kinds of dogs and cats through the use of poetry. ( )
  Mdierd1 | Apr 15, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152163956, Hardcover)

Douglas Florian (Insectlopedia, The Mammalabilia) is at it again. The 21 poems and paintings in his new collection, Bow Wow Meow Meow, will tickle young dog and cat lovers—and just about everyone else, too. Florian’s painting of a poodle, essentially a riot of curls and a pink hair bow, accompanies a four-line concrete poem cleverly typeset in swirls on the opposite page:
Poodles have oodles and oodles of curls,
Which makes poodle boys look like poodle girls.
The curls may have whirls, while the whirls may have swirls.
Poodles have oodles and oodles of curls.
Florian has fun with bulldogs, pointers, Siamese, and Manx, but he doesn’t limit himself to domestic breeds. Wolves, lions, and ocelot ("Why ocelots have lots of spots puzzles ocelot") are also featured. All the paintings have wonderful juvenile appeal—-many of them are flat-out funny—-and the leopard painting, in particular, is worth the price of the book. In fact, you may need two copies: one for framing and one to savor with the kids. (All ages) --Jennifer Lindsay

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

A collection of short poems about dogs and cats.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,067,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible