Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating the Origins of Human Knowledge and… (1969)

by Giorgio De Santillana, Hertha von Dechend (Author)

Ever since the Greeks coined the language we commonly use for scientific description, mythology and science have developed separately. But what came before the Greeks? What if we could prove that all myths have one common origin in a celestial cosmology? What if the gods, the places they lived, and what they did are but ciphers for celestial activity, a language for the perpetuation of complex astronomical data? Drawing on scientific data, historical and literary sources, the authors argue that our myths are the remains of a preliterate astronomy, an exacting science whose power and accuracy were suppressed and then forgotten by an emergent Greco-Roman world view. This fascinating book throws into doubt the self-congratulatory assumptions of Western science about the unfolding development and transmission of knowledge. This is a truly seminal and original thesis, a book that should be read by anyone interested in science, myth, and the interactions between the two.… (more)

English (11)  Italian (1)  All languages (12)
A very comprehensive view of world myth with the aim of demonstrating that seemingly nonsensical tales are actually encoded with knowledge of the procession of the equinoxes and other astronomical lore. I understand why Hamlet was dragged in, though I think it is a bit of a stretch. Interesting but very long and lots of footnotes.
  ritaer | Jul 31, 2021 |
First, this is not formatted very well on the Kindle. This problem made it difficult at times to read. Footnotes, etc., showed up in the middle of text. If I had the hard copy it may have been easier to follow. Also, with a hard copy I would more easily be able to flip back and forth to re-read and/or compare ideas that are presented.
This is not a book if you have no background on comparative myth. I have a little so I could follow on a basic level.
If I were younger (I'm 66) Id have gotten texts and papers referenced and gone much more in-depth with this reading. But I just don't want to take the time that would entail. ( )
  PallanDavid | Sep 24, 2020 |
Contained lined postcard with purple lines on 1 side and red lines on the other: "Cheltenham Books" Wyndmoor, PA
  AnomalyArchive | Aug 12, 2018 |
This is a book that reminds me of the mythological discourses by Joseph Campbell. It is an anthropological detective story that traces the origins of myths throughout the world and finds common elements in their origins. One finding is that the geography of myth is not that of the earth but rather is celestial. For anyone who is familiar with Greek mythology this is not a surprise, but we find here again that mythological language transcends cultural and geographic boundaries. The author explores myths unfamiliar and familiar. For example he discusses the Epic of Gilgamesh in "The Adventure and the Quest". In it he finds connections with myths from India to Greece and beyond linking the symbols to constellations in the sky. The chapter concludes with a reference to knowledge:

"The notion of fire, in various forms, has been one of the recurring themes of this essay. Gilgamesh, like Prometheus, is intimately associated with it. The principle of fire, and the means of producing or acquiring it are best approached through them." (p 316)

The essence of human knowledge seems bound up in these mythological origins. A difficult read, but worth persevering, Hamlet's Mill should be of interest to all who are interested in the origins of man's mind and his images of the world. ( )
  jwhenderson | Apr 25, 2017 |
  Jway | Apr 18, 2016 |

Giorgio De Santillanaprimary authorall editionscalculated
von Dechend, HerthaAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,112,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible