Summer of My German Soldier (1973)

by Bette Greene

When German prisoners of war are brought to her Arkansas town during World War II, twelve-year-old Patty, a Jewish girl, befriends one of them and must deal with the consequences of that friendship.

Loved this story. Read as a young girl and loved the movie starring Kristy McNicol. ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
Read this years ago and loved it. Maybe it started my love of angsty reads? ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
Much more emotional and physical child abuse than I was expecting. ( )
  a-shelf-apart | Nov 19, 2019 |
I need to reread this book, I remember reading in high school and how I liked it but I don't think I really appreciated it. ( )
  almin | Jul 29, 2018 |
One of my favorite required readings. ( )
  amyghilton | May 11, 2018 |
For
Ann Sternberg
&
Donald S. Greene, MD
My Superstars
Pam & Teresa Dunn
When I saw the crowd gathering at the train station, I worried what President Roosevelt would think.

Minutes before the train pulled into the station in Jenkinsville, Arkansas, Patty Bergen knew something exciting was going to happen. But she never could have imagined that her summer would be so memorable. German prisoners of war have arrived to make their new home in the prison camp in Jenkinsville. To the rest of her town, these prisoners are only Nazis. But to Patty, a young Jewish girl with a turbulent home life, one boy in particular becomes an unlikely friend. Anton relates to Patty in ways that her mother and father never can. But when their forbidden relationship is discovered, will Patty risk her family and town for the understanding and love of one boy?

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,028,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible