I Shall Wear Midnight (2010)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Roman du Disque-Monde (tome 5), Discworld: Tiffany Aching (4), Discworld: Young Adult (5), Discworld (38)

3,8711442,300 (4.25)1 / 223
Fifteen-year-old Tiffany Aching, the witch of the Chalk, seeks her place amid a troublesome populace and tries to control the ill-behaved, six-inch-high Wee Free Men who follow her as she faces an ancient evil that agitates against witches.
    Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, petwoe, ijustgetbored)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    petwoe: Noteably for the parallels between Tiffany and Eskarina.
    ijustgetbored: For the backstory on Eskarina Smith, and for the parallels between Tiffany and Esk.

English (141)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (144)
As Tiffany settles into her job a new menace appears. The ghost of a witch finder is able to stir up ancient fears and Tiffany must confront it and kill it before it possesses her. ( )
  ritaer | Feb 28, 2021 |
Reliable. Entertaining, thoughtful, charming and full of human kindness and humour. Just what I wanted. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |
Tiffany Aching is growing up and becoming more and more confident in being a witch with her own steading. In this episode she takes on her regular duties as healer, encourager, shamer and cheesemaker on the one hand while repelling an ancient horror with the other. There's some romance in here too. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |
I Shall Wear Midnight - Pratchett
Audio performance by Steven Briggs
3.5 stars

Tiffany Aching continues to grow-up. She’s an excessively overworked young witch with her own territory. This book heads into some serious adult topics; domestic abuse, a very young unwed mother, and serious witchbaiting. Tiffany and her band of Feegles are fighting real world darkness. As real as darkness gets on the discworld. Tiffany even spends some time (behind bars) in Ankh-Morpork with a few cameo appearances of characters from the Watch. Lots of Pratchett humor, sturdy feminism and strong themes of social justice. Just how do good people turn against their neighbors to throw the first rock? ( )
  msjudy | Aug 22, 2020 |
I had a hard time getting into this book. The opening is *depressing* -- drunken abuse, children dying, the burdens of being sole caregiver to a large community.

By the end of it I was put out that none of that depressing opening mattered in the slightest in terms of the actual plot. It pains me to say it, having been a Pratchett fan since The Light Fantastic, but this book is a self-indulgent mess from start to finish. File under "how to pad your plot - badly." It meandered in setting for no apparent reason other than to give a dozen characters from other Discworld stream a cameo. None of them ended up doing anything significant. The plot was far too easily resolved and entirely lacking in emotional impact. It doesn't seem like Tiffany has any lessons left to learn. The "villain" was barely present, and the supporting cast mostly acted like idiots.

The Wee Free Men is a nearly perfect book. He should have stopped there. ( )
  RJ_Stevenson | Aug 19, 2020 |

Mayer, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
I dedicate this book to Mr [George Ewart] Evans, a wonderful man who helped many of us to learn about the depths of history over which we float. It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you don't know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you're going. And if you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.

Terry Pratchett
Wiltshire
27 May 2010

Author's note.
Why was it, Tiffany Aching wondered, that people liked noise so much?
Still, it could have been worse, she told herself as they set off. For example, there could have been snakes on the broomstick.
Roland was staring at Tiffany so nonplussed he was nearly minused.
The room (at Keepsake Hall) was full of bookcases, and the books on them gleamed. These weren't cheap modern books; these were books bound in leather, and not just leather, but leather from clever cows who had given up their lives for literature after a happy existence in the very best pastures. The books gleamed as Letitia moved around the large room lighting other lamps. She hauled them up toward the ceiling on their long chains, which swung gently as she pulled so that the shine from the books mixed with the gleam from the brasswork until the room seemed to be full of rich, ripe gold.
"A wedding almost straight after a funeral...I can tell you in truth that at such times the universe gets a little closer to us. They are strange times, times of beginnings and endings. Dangerous and powerful. And we feel it even if we don't know what it is These times are not necessarily good, and not necessarily bad. In fact, what they are depends on what we are."

It starts with whispers.

Then someone picks up a stone.

Finally, the fires begin.

When people turn on witches, the innocents suffer. . . .

Tiffany Aching has spent years studying with senior witches, and now she is on her own. As the witch of the Chalk, she performs the bits of witchcraft that aren’t sparkly, aren’t fun, don’t involve any kind of wand, and that people seldom ever hear about: She does the unglamorous work of caring for the needy.

But someone—or something—is igniting fear, inculcating dark thoughts and angry murmurs against witches. Aided by her tiny blue allies, the Wee Free Men, Tiffany must find the source of this unrest and defeat the evil at its root—before it takes her life. Because if Tiffany falls, the whole Chalk falls with her.

Chilling drama combines with laugh-out-loud humor and searing insight as beloved and bestselling author Terry Pratchett tells the high-stakes story of a young witch who stands in the gap between good and evil.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,761,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible