I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

I Shall Wear Midnight (2010)

by Terry Pratchett

Other authors: Paul Kidby (Cover artist)

Series: Discworld (38), Discworld: Tiffany Aching (4), Discworld: Young Adult (5)

3,5281362,400 (4.25)1 / 216
Fifteen-year-old Tiffany Aching, the witch of the Chalk, seeks her place amid a troublesome populace and tries to control the ill-behaved, six-inch-high Wee Free Men who follow her as she faces an ancient evil that agitates against witches.
    Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, petwoe, ijustgetbored)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    petwoe: Noteably for the parallels between Tiffany and Eskarina.
    ijustgetbored: For the backstory on Eskarina Smith, and for the parallels between Tiffany and Esk.

English (134)  German (2)  All languages (136)
A few years after we last saw Tiffany Aching, she seems firmly established as the witch of the Chalk, but then whispers and rumors start to move and suddenly Witches are Bad and Tiffany becomes suspect. She brought it on herself when she kissed Winter and unknowingly woke up something else...
Another solid installment in the Discworld series. Tiffany is a wonderful character and I love spending time with her. There's even a bit of a crossover between her part of the world and the City Watch, and I may have geeked out just a bit at that. ( )
  electrascaife | Jan 27, 2020 |
A reread of an enjoyable Tiffany Aching story. The plot is clear from early on, and has few surprises.
However, Pratchett’s storytelling, humour and inclusion of characters from earlier novels makes this a fun, light read.
  CarltonC | Dec 18, 2019 |
Stephen Briggs does a great job narrating this audiobook edition.

Tiffany Aching is now 16 years old and in charge of her own steading. However, anti-witch feeling is growing and it isn't long before Tiffany has to face the problem... I was surprised and pleased at the author's afterword - something I have not encountered in any of the previous books. ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 14, 2019 |
Tiffany Aching is older and a bit wiser in the final installment of the series. The Cunning Man, a supernatural witch hunter is on the loose and determined to finish her off. Is she clever enough to defeat him?

Of course, as with the other books, the plot is among the least interesting aspects of the book. What I adore and treasure about them is the commentary within the narrative. Pratchett has invented a fantastically reasonable view of witches and witchcraft, acknowledging that sometimes the things that are simplest are really the most complicated, and vice versa. He is a master at infusing humor into common sense and making it profound. I found myself wanting to call up friends just to read them paragraphs.

I love this book so much I have a hard time articulating my thoughts about it. Maybe I should go read it again.... ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
Not as good as the previous Aching books, but there was a lot to compete with (not sure anything quite competes with _The Wee Free Men_. A solidly good book for Pratchett. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |

Mayer, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
I dedicate this book to Mr [George Ewart] Evans, a wonderful man who helped many of us to learn about the depths of history over which we float. It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you don't know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you're going. And if you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.

Terry Pratchett
Wiltshire
27 May 2010

Author's note.
Why was it, Tiffany Aching wondered, that people liked noise so much?
Still, it could have been worse, she told herself as they set off. For example, there could have been snakes on the broomstick.
Roland was staring at Tiffany so nonplussed he was nearly minused.
The room (at Keepsake Hall) was full of bookcases, and the books on them gleamed. These weren't cheap modern books; these were books bound in leather, and not just leather, but leather from clever cows who had given up their lives for literature after a happy existence in the very best pastures. The books gleamed as Letitia moved around the large room lighting other lamps. She hauled them up toward the ceiling on their long chains, which swung gently as she pulled so that the shine from the books mixed with the gleam from the brasswork until the room seemed to be full of rich, ripe gold.
"A wedding almost straight after a funeral...I can tell you in truth that at such times the universe gets a little closer to us. They are strange times, times of beginnings and endings. Dangerous and powerful. And we feel it even if we don't know what it is These times are not necessarily good, and not necessarily bad. In fact, what they are depends on what we are."

It starts with whispers.

Then someone picks up a stone.

Finally, the fires begin.

When people turn on witches, the innocents suffer. . . .

Tiffany Aching has spent years studying with senior witches, and now she is on her own. As the witch of the Chalk, she performs the bits of witchcraft that aren’t sparkly, aren’t fun, don’t involve any kind of wand, and that people seldom ever hear about: She does the unglamorous work of caring for the needy.

But someone—or something—is igniting fear, inculcating dark thoughts and angry murmurs against witches. Aided by her tiny blue allies, the Wee Free Men, Tiffany must find the source of this unrest and defeat the evil at its root—before it takes her life. Because if Tiffany falls, the whole Chalk falls with her.

Chilling drama combines with laugh-out-loud humor and searing insight as beloved and bestselling author Terry Pratchett tells the high-stakes story of a young witch who stands in the gap between good and evil.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,327,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible