I Shall Wear Midnight (2010)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Tiffany Aching (4), Discworld: Young Adult (5), Discworld (38)

4,1751572,296 (4.25)1 / 226
Fifteen-year-old Tiffany Aching, the witch of the Chalk, seeks her place amid a troublesome populace and tries to control the ill-behaved, six-inch-high Wee Free Men who follow her as she faces an ancient evil that agitates against witches.
Recently added byDuobond, Estragon1958, private library, Finalmystic, jingo, suzannekmoses, Harbon, Boand
    Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, petwoe, ijustgetbored)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    petwoe: Noteably for the parallels between Tiffany and Eskarina.
    ijustgetbored: For the backstory on Eskarina Smith, and for the parallels between Tiffany and Esk.

English (153)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (157)
Tiffany og hinir Wee Free Men eru mættir aftur og nú beinir Pratchett sjónum að nornaveiðunum. Hann gerir vel í að taka fyrirbæri úr mannkynssögunni og höndla þau með gagnrýnum augum Diskheims. Tiffany er nú orðin fulltíða norn og tekin Chalk, heimasvæði sínu, þar sem hún sinnir týpískum störfum nornarinnar sem stuðningsnet við samfélagið. Það fer hins vegar að bera á illvilja í garð hennar og annarra norna, hræðslu, rógburði og aðkasti. Brátt uppgötvar Tiffany að undirrót þessara breytinga er illt afl sem vaknar reglulega upp og magnar samfélagið gegn nornum. Nú er þessi kraftur fókusaður á Tiffany og hún verður að finna leiðir til að verjast honum sjálf - náttúrulega með aðstoð litlu bláu vina sinna. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
I don't normally leave reviews on this here site- but this week I paid a man to emblazon my upper arm permanently with a burning hare. I listened to the audiobook while I got it done, and I cried, though not from the pain of the needle. ( )
  obahcypt | Apr 1, 2022 |
This was in the library marked Adult Fiction but, knowing little about Terry Prtchett, when I checked on the Internet it's Young Adult. However, no harm for that. It's so well written that you tend not to notice it's simply written. And many instances of the wisdom that sometimes comes with age and is nevertheless held by a fifteen-year-old witch..

It's a well constructed scenario, a corner of rural England that isn't really England, an almost feudal society where they have photography, and witchcraft is respected.

What is the Cunning Man meant to represent? An evil that can appear at any time? Or simply an element of horror to make the story less comfortable?
  jgoodwll | Feb 9, 2022 |
I enjoyed it, but I didn't rip through it as I have Pratchett books in the past (which is less a failing on the part of the book, and more a lack of energy on my part). I loved the way that reader's interpretations of books is explored when two young women discuss a book of fairy stories they both read as children, and the fact that the pseudo love triangle wasn't sorted out by the aristocratic male dumping his aristocratic fiance to run off with the local working class female. And I very much liked the meta references to Tiffany being good with endings, such that Pratchett could congratulate himself on the way that the plot is tidied up. ( )
  fred_mouse | Dec 13, 2021 |
I love Terry Pratchett and Tiffany is one of my favorite characters, I can't wait for the next one. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |

Mayer, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
I dedicate this book to Mr [George Ewart] Evans, a wonderful man who helped many of us to learn about the depths of history over which we float. It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you don't know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you're going. And if you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.

Terry Pratchett
Wiltshire
27 May 2010

Author's note.
Why was it, Tiffany Aching wondered, that people liked noise so much?
Still, it could have been worse, she told herself as they set off. For example, there could have been snakes on the broomstick.
Roland was staring at Tiffany so nonplussed he was nearly minused.
The room (at Keepsake Hall) was full of bookcases, and the books on them gleamed. These weren't cheap modern books; these were books bound in leather, and not just leather, but leather from clever cows who had given up their lives for literature after a happy existence in the very best pastures. The books gleamed as Letitia moved around the large room lighting other lamps. She hauled them up toward the ceiling on their long chains, which swung gently as she pulled so that the shine from the books mixed with the gleam from the brasswork until the room seemed to be full of rich, ripe gold.
"A wedding almost straight after a funeral...I can tell you in truth that at such times the universe gets a little closer to us. They are strange times, times of beginnings and endings. Dangerous and powerful. And we feel it even if we don't know what it is These times are not necessarily good, and not necessarily bad. In fact, what they are depends on what we are."

It starts with whispers.

Then someone picks up a stone.

Finally, the fires begin.

When people turn on witches, the innocents suffer. . . .

Tiffany Aching has spent years studying with senior witches, and now she is on her own. As the witch of the Chalk, she performs the bits of witchcraft that aren’t sparkly, aren’t fun, don’t involve any kind of wand, and that people seldom ever hear about: She does the unglamorous work of caring for the needy.

But someone—or something—is igniting fear, inculcating dark thoughts and angry murmurs against witches. Aided by her tiny blue allies, the Wee Free Men, Tiffany must find the source of this unrest and defeat the evil at its root—before it takes her life. Because if Tiffany falls, the whole Chalk falls with her.

Chilling drama combines with laugh-out-loud humor and searing insight as beloved and bestselling author Terry Pratchett tells the high-stakes story of a young witch who stands in the gap between good and evil.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,313,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible