The Garfield Orbit by Margaret Leech

The Garfield Orbit (1978)

by Margaret Leech

201777,523 (3.5)None

I give this book high marks, as it provides details about President Garfield that I've not seen in print before. It's clear that a great deal of research was done by author, Margaret Leech, prior to her death. There are dozens and dozens of end-notes.

The ten chapters are: 1. Eliza (Garfield's mother), 2. The Eclectic Institute (now Hiram College), 3. Lucretia (Garfield's spouse), 4. Williamstown (home of Williams College), 5. Rebecca (a lady friend of Garfield's), 6. Transition (from college life to political life), 7. The War: 1862, 8. The War: 1863, 9. Congress, 10: The Presidency.

One of the two Epilogues contains "A Selection of Letters of James A. Garfield." This added value to the book.

There is a helpful index. I acquired this book on the used book market. ( )
  SCRH | Feb 20, 2015 |
PREFACE

When Margaret Leech died in 1974 she left unfinished a biography of James A. Garfield on which she had worked for many years.
EPILOGUE I
--*--
A HOT SATURDAY MORNING
IN WASHINGTON

It was early when the President awoke.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,855,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible