Happy Times in Noisy Village by Astrid…

Happy Times in Noisy Village (1952)

by Astrid Lindgren

Series: Noisy Village (3)

Noisy Village is the name given to a group of three farm houses due to the ruckus created by the six children who live there. Lisa, who is nine years old, narrates the fun and adventures she and her brothers and friends have all throughout the year. Woven within the story are a number of Swedish traditions such as dancing around the Mid-summer Eve pole. I first read this as a child but still loved the humor of situations and the personalities of the children upon reading it as an adult. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 3, 2019 |
Oh, oh how darling. Yes they're good and sweet children, but not saccharine or implausible. They get into little mischiefs - and even have little sulks, like healthy, beloved, well-raised children naturally would. I'm such a fan-girl of Lindgren. My only 'complaint' here is that the children are ages 9-11 but they are drawn more like 6-8 and in some ways have characteristics of children younger than they are, too. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Another one of my all time favorites. I like it so much because it has funny parts and usually isn't scary but is still interesting. A girl named Lisa is the main character and narrates the book. She lives in the middle of 3 houses people call Noisy Village because with all these kids are running around and like all kids do... making noise. She and her best friend Anna have adventures along with the other kids of Noisy Village. People who will like this book probably like books about kids and the olden days. ( )
  FlorentinaH19 | Oct 12, 2015 |
The concluding part about Bullerbyn contains many of the episodes that were my favorites when I was little – when the climb mountains and meet the angry ram on the islet, the crayfishing, the funny chapter about babysitting Kerstin, the black snot after selling cherries by the road. I read this book especially again and again. It’s interesting to ponder why I found it so exciting. Really, everything happening here is on such a small scale. I’m sure Lindgren’s dry sarcastic humor worked on me even then, but there is also a rare balance of adventure, freedom and true security here. Hard to pinpoint, but very palpable. ( )
  GingerbreadMan | Jul 30, 2011 |

Astrid Lindgrenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Järvinen, LailaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamborn, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tenfjord, Jo GiæverTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wikland, IlonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Original: Bara roligt i Bullerbyn
Org title: Bara roligt i Bullerbyn

Ten-year-old Lisa tells about her brothers and playmates and the happy times they spend at work and at play in their Swedish village.

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,556,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible