Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski

Strawberry Girl (1945)

by Lois Lenski

Blue Willow by Doris Gates (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The main character in each book is a 10-year-old girl whose family has just moved to a new place. Both books have a strong sense of place.
    Tangerine by Edward Bloor (keristars)
    keristars: "Tangerine" is about modern farmers in Florida, aimed at slightly older children/young teens. I think the two books make a nice pair.

Birdie is badass, a great role model for young readers. The rest of the book has not aged well.

Not really recommended. ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
I loved this book as a child in the late 60s, and then re-visited it in my early 50s and was so let down.

The level of animal neglect and abuse, the meaness, revenge, vindictive nature of the characters were a major turn off to me as an adult. I can't imagine why I loved it as a kid. ( )
  REINADECOPIAYPEGA | Jan 11, 2018 |
Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski; (4*)

This one is a Newbery Award-winning classic. (Umm humm. Says so right on the cover.) I enjoyed it tremendously.
It was copyrighted in 1945 and tells the story of two neighboring families living in the lake region of Florida in the early 1900s after the Seminole War. Most of the people in this region had moved down from the Carolinas and were known as the Florida Crackers. They had wonderfully colorful speech patterns, a wealth of idioms, and brought with them many a folk song, superstition and integrity of character (or not, as in the case on one of the neighbors).
This is a cross section of America. An American way of life not known to a great many of us, a poor but very colorful way of life.
The main character is a 10 year old girl named Birdie Boyer and the story is told through her eyes. Her family is a farming family attempting to grow strawberries, orange groves, and sweet potatoes among other produce.
The neighboring family, the Slaters, raise cattle and pigs. Or to be more precise, they have cattle and pigs. They pretty much just let them free range and raise themselves until it is time to round them up and take them to be sold.
The cattle and pigs continue to get into the crop fields of the Boyer family and trample the berries, eat the fruit trees down to nubbins and wreak all kinds of havoc. This does not sit well with Mr. Boyer and he speaks to Mr. Slater, who cares not one whit. So Mr. Boyer decides to fence in his property. Mr. Slater threatens him that if he does, something bad will happen. And so it goes.
The book was a quick read and it was easy to relate to and to get to know and care about the characters. I quite liked it and think that anyone else picking it up would like it as well. I will be looking for more of Ms. Linski's books. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Jun 17, 2017 |
One of my favorite Girl Stories- and set in Florida, no less! Every time I hear someone called a "Cracker," I think of this book:
Miss Liddy hurried over. "The Crackers are coming," she explained."Just cowmen with their cattle! Hear how they crack their long, rawhide whips. They're driving a big herd to market at Tampa, to ship to Cuba most likely. Probably came from way up yonder by Jacksonville, buyin' up beef cattle all along the way." She paused. "Folks born in Florida or who have lived here a long time are called Crackers- after the cowmen."
"We're Crackers!" said Birdie proudly. "We was born in Marion County!" ( )
1 vote DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
In some ways, the piney woods of Florida is just as wild as the Wild West. Birdie Boyer's family is determined to make a go of strawberry farming, but they will have trouble not only with the hazards presented by the natural world, but also resistance from a cantankerous neighbor.

This book reminded me strongly of the Little House books, both in content and in writing style. Characters speak in the vernacular, which may present a challenge for some readers. The ending seemed rather deus ex machina to me. Still, I would probably recommend this to readers of all ages who can't get enough frontier fiction. ( )
1 vote foggidawn | Jul 16, 2016 |
For two little Florida friends, Betty Anne King and Barbara Smith
"Thar goes our cow, Pa!" said the little girl.

This is from the "regional stories" Lois Lenski wrote with the intention of introducing children to different parts of the United States. It takes place in rural Polk County, Florida, between 1895 and 1902, and tells the story of the Boyer and Slater families, through the eyes of young Birdie Boyer. The Boyers have just moved to the area from Marion County to set up a new farm, whereas the Slaters have lived there for generations.

The land was theirs, but so were its hardships

Strawberries -- big, ripe, and juicy. Ten-year-old Birdie Boyer can hardly wait to start picking them. But her family has just moved to the Florida backwoods, and they haven′t even begun their planting. ";Don′t count your biddies ′fore they′re hatched, gal young un!"; her father tells her.

Making the new farm prosper is not easy. There is heat to suffer through, and droughts, and cold snaps. And, perhaps most worrisome of all for the Boyers, there are rowdy neighbors, just itching to start a feud.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:11 -0400)

In 1945, in Florida, ten-year-old Birdie Boyer and her family struggle to make their new farm prosper despite heat, droughts, cold snaps, and rowdy neighbors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,826,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible