Play of Passion

by Nalini Singh

Series: Psy-Changeling (9)

In his position as Tracker for the SnowDancer pack, Drew Kincaid must rein in rogue Changelings who've lost control of their animal halves--even if it means killing those who've gone too far. But nothing in his life has prepared him for the battle he must now wage--to win the heart of a woman who makes his body ignite...and who threatens to enslave his wolf.… (more)
    Dark Symphony by Christine Feehan (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and Shifters
    Dark Guardian by Christine Feehan (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and Shifters
    Moon Sworn by Keri Arthur (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and Shifters

Another good one from NS. I liked this one better than the last two. Mostly I just prefer the stories with the changlings in them. The Psy and the Forgotten, while okay, are just not as interesting to me. I really love the whole fated mates thing and this book has that is abundance. I also really like when the wolves (or whatever shifter) is really possessive and does the whole get your hands off my woman thing. Usually I prefer to see a shifter mating with a non shifter because I find the whole learning a new species and how to interact thing interesting. But NS does a wonderful job in this and her other shifter stories of making a mating between two wolves as interesting. The dominance issue replaced the newness issue here. Although she did use the phrase 'he was a dominant predatory male' quite a few times too many. But what else was she going to use? So I forgive her. :-) I love this series and there are certainly characters whose books I can't wait to read. Hawke for instance and Riaz who I don't remember reading about before but whose story seems very tragic so I hope we get that one. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
As good as I remember. ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
Play of Passion is the ninth full-length novel in Nalini Singh’s Psy-Changeling series. This one follows SnowDancer wolves Indigo and Drew. Indigo is a dominant female and a pack lieutenant, while Drew is the pack’s tracker. Drew has been crazy about Indigo for a while, but she’s been trying to keep their relationship friends-only. She worries that getting involved with a male who is both younger and less dominant could lead to disaster. But tired of waiting for her to come around, Drew pulls out all the stops to prove to Indigo that she’s the only wolf for him. Meanwhile, the threat from Pure Psy, the Psy faction that’s determined to maintain Silence no matter the cost, is rising, and Indigo and Drew discover evidence of a Psy incursion onto SnowDancer land. With the help of their alpha, Hawke, and the rest of the pack, they must figure out what the Psy’s new game is and stop it before serious damage is done, but a climactic battle with the Psy could put Indigo and Drew’s relationship in jeopardy before she’s even had a chance to decide whether Drew is her perfect mate after all.

Indigo is the most dominant female in the SnowDancer den, and as a lieutenant, she’s one of Hawke’s right-hand people. The other wolves look to her for leadership, and cognizant of her role in the pack, she doesn’t allow skin privileges easily. She hasn’t had a lover for a while, so Drew’s flirtations are tempting. But she’s also keenly aware of the fact that Drew is four years her junior, and although as tracker, he’s not in her direct line of command, he’s a less dominant male. Indigo has spent the last several years watching her aunt, who is equally as dominant as Indigo, in an unhappy union with her mate who is less dominant. There’s a constant push and pull between them that has soured any love they once shared, so Indigo believes that in order to maintain the health of the pack, she must mate someone who is her equal in the pack hierarchy. However, she didn’t count on Drew pulling out all the stops to romance her and to prove that he’s willing to do anything to be with her, even reign in his own wolf. Indigo is a female who isn’t unlike human women who find themselves in powerful positions in a male-dominated world. She’s respected by the male members of the pack, but at the same time, she places a lot of responsibility on her own shoulders for making sure the pack is a healthy, functioning group. She knows that if she’s unhappy in her mating that could lead to disunity in the pack. While Drew is hard to resist, they do butt heads on occasion as they and their wolves try to figure out if they can fit together in harmony. Occasionally I felt just a tad frustrated with Indigo for being so stubborn, but I generally understood where she was coming from and the feeling usually didn’t last long before she was finding a way to compromise. I also very much respected the fact that she was willing to make concessions in order to find true love and happiness.

As the pack’s tracker, Drew hunts down Changelings who’ve gone rogue and also deals with some pack business outside their immediate area. As such, he reports directly to Hawke, so there isn’t a conflict of interest with him getting involved with Indigo. Drew is also a real charmer who is popular with the ladies, both human and Changeling. But for a long time, he’s only had eyes for Indigo. Drew may not be dominant enough to maintain a higher position in the pack hierarchy, but he’s still a dominant male who finally decides to go after what he wants. Convincing Indigo that he’s sincere about a serious relationship proves to be a major challenge, but one that he’s more than up for. He screws up on occasion, making the female wolf snarl at him for his audacity, but he always more than makes up for it with a full-on romantic and sensual assault. However, just as he’s starting to make headway and thinks that Indigo might finally be his, Pure Psy invades their territory, threatening not only the pack but also his and Indigo’s future. Oh my goodness, I think Drew might be my favorite hero of the series so far. He may have a dominant side, but he’s also a real sweetheart, who totally wears his heart on his sleeve for Indigo. I love a hero in pursuit and Drew definitely pulls out all the stops in his pursuit of Indigo, holding nothing back. His courtship of her is swoon-worthy romance at its finest. Even though he knows he could be risking a broken heart if both the woman and the wolf don’t accept him, he’s also convinced that it will all be worth it. And he’s determined not to give up until he’s won them both over. It also doesn’t hurt that he’s an incredibly romantic guy and a passionate lover.;-)

As is typical for this long-running series, Play of Passion has a stellar supporting cast with lots of characters past and future who have their own stories in the series. Pack alpha Hawke is the most prominent, and it’s obvious that although he’s fighting it, he’s still carrying a torch for Sienna, one of the Psy they adopted into their pack and a young woman who definitely has a thing for him, too. These two finally become the hero and heroine of the next full-length book, Kiss of Snow. Drew’s sister, Brenna, and her mate, Judd, (Caressed by Ice) are key players as well. Drew’s brother, Riley, and his mate, Mercy, (Branded by Fire) are away on a sort of honeymoon, but show up near the end of the story. Pack healer Lara’s skills are put to the test, saving someone’s life. She and Walker, who appears briefly, become the hero and heroine of the novella, Texture of Intimacy. DarkRiver alpha Lucas and his mate, Sascha, (Slave to Sensation) show up at the end, too. Dorian (Hostage to Pleasure) puts in an appearance, helping with tech issues. Emmett and Ria (Whisper of Sin) share a scene with Drew and Indigo. Max and Sophia (Bonds of Justice) appear a couple of times, still working for Nikita. Lastly, Dev (Blaze of Memory) plays a small but important role while also trying to forge an alliance of sorts with SnowDancer.

Play of Passion was an awesome read, a great addition to the series, and perhaps my favorite so far. Indigo is a strong female whose love and sense of responsibility to her pack is admirable. She may have her doubts about Drew but bravely gives him a chance, gradually opening up and tearing down her walls for him. Drew would be impossible not to love. He’s definitely one of the most romantic and passionate heroes I’ve ever read and totally lovable. I adored Drew and Indigo together as a couple and thought they complimented each other perfectly, while finding ways to compromise to make their relationship work. It certainly didn’t hurt that there were plenty of smokin’ hot love scenes, too.;-) With Pure Psy ramping up their efforts, the events of this book were also a nice addition to the greater story arc. By the end, it becomes very clear that the Psy Council has completely and irrevocably fractured. Things are definitely heating up, inexorably heading toward a probable climactic battle, and I can’t wait to see where things go from here. It’s left me very much looking forward to reading Hawke and Sienna’s story soon. ( )
  mom2lnb | Mar 12, 2022 |
My twin sister has been telling me to read this series for years and despite liking the other Nalini Singh's I had read I never got around to reading it. After reading these books I can't imagine why I hesitated to read them ; they are really good. The story is fresh and original, the writing style is engaging and the characters are so well written that you truly get invested in their lives. I have enjoyed all the books in this series psy, changeling and human as they are all fascinating in their own way. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
~ 4 Passion Stars ~

Play of Passion is book nine in the Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh. This is Drew and Indigo's story. I never would have put them together, but it worked perfectly. This book focuses solely on the SnowDancer wolves and not DarkRiver cats. I love DarkRiver, they have Clay, Lucas, and Vaughn, but I might be changing over to SnowDancer after this. Thous Kincaid men and with Hawke's book coming. Eeee! "fan girl squeal"

I love Drew. He's quick to laugh and loved by the pack. He's genuinely cares about each person and it comes through. Indigo on the other hand I had mixed feelings for. I like a strong independent kick ass female, but she complained a little too much that she need a dominate male, but when Drew got his dominance on she would get angry. What I really liked in this story is the romance. It was different from the other books; in that it was more playful. The mating dance/courtship was fabulously done. Every girl should have a man in their life who courts like Drew.

We also see that Silence is continuing to breakdown and both sides are gearing up for a war against the Pure Psy. New and interesting alliances are being made. I have enjoyed getting to see more of Hawke. Oh god Ms. Singh has been building his story from the get go and I am soooooo looking forward to it.

Play of Passion is a wonderful read in the Psy-Changeling series. Things keep developing and more and more characters are being introduced. If you have not picked up this series I highly recommend you do. Nalini Singh is an amazing writer and story teller. You will be taken on a interesting adventure into DarkRiver, SnowDancer and Psy world.

Audio March 2018: Had a fabulous time listening to the audiobook. I will say Hawkes voice takes some getting use too. As for everyone else they are great voices. Really enjoyed the story all over again. Now onto another of my favorites in the series Hawke.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To two wonderful friends in different corners of the world: Junko, who made sure I wasn't lost in translation; and Cora, who has both courage and heart; with a special shout-out to Cian and Calisto from Roman and Julian
Indigo wiped the rain off her face, clearing it for a split second, if that.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,560,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible