One Night in Scotland (Hurst Amulet)

by Karen Hawkins

Series: Hurst Amulet (1)

"Someone is holding her brother prisoner in exchange for a gold-and-onyx box covered in mysterious runes, so Mary Hurst boldly sets out from the family vicarage to find the priceless artifact. But the man who possesses it, Angus Hay, the Earl of Erroll, is less than sympathetic to her plight ..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

More of a "following in love" story with humor. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
4/4.5*

Gothic castles, Beauty and the Beast inspired hero and heroine, a mysterious Egyptian artifact...learn more about why you'll love this romance novel on my blog I'm Here For The Romance!
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |

Come on, tell me truly, what women can resist a sexy, dark, slightly roguish Scottish lord, expect perhaps if her were competing against a sexy, dark, slightly roguish Scottish lord who is also a werewolf...those are the standards...Karen Hawkins meets and exceeds. I love the wittiness of the characters, the strength of the heroine, the magnetism between them and the obstacles they both have to overcome to be together. I am well aware I described a romantic novel period but it is all about style and Karen Hawkins has it in spades.

I enjoyed the scene where he throws the chairs out the windows the most in the entire book. I just thought it was hilarious and showed the true breadth of Angus. I also think this scene shows the true nature of Mary as well, they are both so perfectly suited from the beginning...and when the kiss, sparks fly.

I enjoyed the plot a lot, it was something different and fresh in my opinion and I love when I find a new historical romance series I can start from the beginning and enjoy until the author completes it. I love her other work and I am intrigued and waiting in anticipation for the next book. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Boooooring.
The characters felt flat and the whole story is too rushed -- it pretty much goes on and on like this: heroine who tries to help her brother ends up the hero's prisioner, she makes noise or some other shenanigan to annoy the guy, he goes to her room to put an end to it, they make out; next scene: repeat, but let’s move this party to the breakfast room first, and then to the sitting room, and then to the library, and then to the sheepherder’s croft… and then MARRYMEILOVEYOUILOVEYOU!! And nothing really important or exciting happens. The end. ( )
  Jen7waters | May 17, 2012 |
I just loved this book, the story was great and Mary is a pleasure, she is very witty and Angus is one tough cookie. This story had me from page one right to the last page, could not put it down. Karen Hawkins, you are a pleasure to read, already have then next in my hand and can't wait to get started. xo ( )
  bkluvr4evr | Mar 12, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,129,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible