The Gospel According to the son

by Norman Mailer

For 2,000 years, the brief ministry of a young Nazarene preacher has remained the largest single determinant of Western civilisation's triumphs and disasters. In THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO THE SON, Norman Mailer gives the protagonist of one of the greatest tragedies of all time a chance to tell the story of his life in his own words. 'Is God speaking to me?' Jesus asks, 'or am I hearing voices? If the voices are from God, why has he chosen me as His son? and if they are not from God, then who gave me the power to perform these miracles?' This is a gripping account of a man thrust forward by the visions he receives and the miracles he enacts until he has come to the very limit of human possibilities. In THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO THE SON, one of the world's greatest living writers has brought us a remarkable book - by turns poetic and tragic and, to our surprise and pleasure, suspenseful.… (more)

English (10)  Catalan (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (12)
Credible. Would not be my first choice.
  Elizabeth80 | Sep 4, 2021 |
Definitely not Mailer at his best — largely a cut-and-paste of excerpts from the four canonical gospels interlaced with Mailer's own commentary as put into the voice of Jesus as first-person narrator. ( )
  CurrerBell | Feb 7, 2015 |
Very interesting fictional memoir of Jesus of Nazareth. The narrator's voice is highly believable as he undertakes a mission he's not sure he's up to. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Jun 26, 2012 |
At the very least, Mailer should have done a little research. A cardboard Jesus in what is usually an empty setting. The few details don't fit. (An altar in a synagogue!) ( )
2 vote MarthaJeanne | Jan 25, 2011 |
Gospel retellings from Jesus' point of view have already been done, and done better than this. I was really disappointed with The Gospel According to the Son, because it doesn't deviate *enough* from its source; Mailer never does anything interesting with all of its possibilities. There are even places, both in the dialogue and prose, where the novel follows the gospel story word for word. Bad form, Norman Mailer. A bad book and a disappointment that I really wanted to like. ( )
3 vote the_awesome_opossum | Jun 24, 2009 |
With few exceptions, even the most conservative Christian should find little to reject. In a writer of Mr. Mailer's past daring and outrage, however, such a humility of imagination constitutes his Gospel's most disappointing aspect. In his faithfulness to tradition -- a faithfulness that even leads him to a puzzling reliance on the archaic King James diction of a thousand Christmas and Easter pageants -- Mr. Mailer has barred himself from the kinds of penetrating meditation, risky invention and plunging insight that have always been his strongest gifts and that might have inspired less gifted searchers in the hunt for a possible Jesus.

In those days, I was the one who came down from Nazareth to be baptized by John in the River Jordan.
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Legacy Library: Norman Mailer

Norman Mailer has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Norman Mailer's legacy profile.

See Norman Mailer's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,821,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible