Aani and the Tree Huggers

by Jeannine Atkins

Other authors: Venantius J. Pinto (Illustrator)

10520207,515 (3.6)None
Based on true events in India in the 1970s, young Aani and the other women in her village defend their forest from developers by wrapping their arms around the trees, making it impossible to cut them down.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I will be honest, I was not sure about this book by Jeannine Atkins especially, since this was her first picture book, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was inspired by this story how Aani took a peaceful yet active stand for the beautiful trees in her village, remembering this was so many animals home, and for her village needed these trees to live. Aani’s heroism saved her special tree and the beloved forest. I believe when all is going wrong in the world everyone just wants peace. ( )
  KRWallace | Sep 24, 2019 |
I really enjoyed reading “Aani and The Tree Huggers” because it gave me a very new perspective and culture to think about. Normally when I think about people living in a “village” I think of poor, uneducated people who probably live in a developing country and need help. This is not the case for the women in this book. I loved that they stood up for what they believed in and stood their ground. These women were not helpless, which changed my perspective on how I should view people living in an “undeveloped” country. I also really liked this book because I found it empowering. Even though the women were scared, they cared so deeply about the environment that they lived in that they were willing to risk their lives for it. Lastly, I really loved this book because it has beautiful illustrations. I think the main message of this books is bravery and fighting for things you feel passionate about. ( )
  cwolfa1 | Feb 15, 2018 |
"Aani and the Tree Huggers" is about a girl named Aani who shows courage by protecting her village. When a village in India is visited by tree cutters, Aani tries to stop them from cutting them down. Aani explains how important trees are in her village, and how without the trees, the village will not survive. When the tree cutters fail to listen to her, Aani begins to hug a tree in hopes that they will not cut it if she is holding on to it. The village follows her lead, and the tree cutters finally leave, making Aani a hero.

This book gave a lot of details to Indian culture, including the reasoning behind the jewelry they wear, and the marks on their foreheads. The author did a good job at making the story flow, and keeping it exciting. The illustrations were vibrant, and showed expression. I think this was a very good book that shows that sometimes being courageous can be scary, but the outcome is worth it. ( )
  ShelbyNicks | Oct 7, 2017 |
I liked Aani and the Tree Huggers three main reasons. Firstly, the illustrations were very bright and interesting, and that is great for a child. Another reason is that it displayed courage from a main girl character, Aani was relatable and sweet. The book also tied in a cultural outlook with environmental issues, the two topics were presented in a very age appropriate way. The big idea is that this book told a story of an ethnic girl protecting the environment, and this could really aide students in thinking about some big issues. ( )
  vrobey1 | Sep 12, 2016 |

Jeannine Atkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pinto, Venantius J.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Lee & Low Books

2 editions of this book were published by Lee & Low Books.

Editions: 1584300043, 1880000245

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,486,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible