Abhorsen (2003)

by Garth Nix

Series: Old Kingdom (3)

Abhorsen-In-Waiting Lirael and Prince Sameth, a Wallmaker, must confront and bind the evil spirit Oranis before it can destroy all life.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Morteana)
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Anonymous user)
    Child of the Hive by Jessica Meats (MinaKelly)
    MinaKelly: Suitable for the older end of YA, who like a solid adventure story and can handle some adult themes.

English (126)  Danish (1)  All languages (127)
Thats a good doggie ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
A solid read but really failed to blow me away. Having heard a number of positive reviews, I expected more from Mr. Nix. It wasn't as fast-paced as I would have hoped and the pacing seemed inconsistent. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to someone looking for a good stand-alone fantasy/paranormal read. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
I read this book in middle school, and had fond memories of it. To get my middle schoolers now interested in it, I re-read it to see how I could describe it compellingly.

And, well, I don't think I can. I love Garth Nix, especially Shade's Children and the Key to the Kingdom series (also hard sells, unfortunately), but this book was not nearly as good as I remember. While the whole plot is Sabriel going on a seemingly exciting quest - past the wall, finding her father's body, confronting a great evil - and it ends up being entirely unexciting. I'm not sure if it's the writing style, the fact that Sbariel is so unsure of herself and her abilities, or the fact that she's usually just running away from a very distant figure who she says is menacing but is never shown to be. The romance between her and Touchstone is literally out of nowhere - he looks and her and confesses his love and she reciprocates. I liked Mogget and the contradiction inherent within him (he hates the Abhorsen when he's unbound but is perfectly helpful when he's a cat), but it's entirely unexplored.

I assume an adult fan of Nix will enjoy it, but younger readers will be disappointing it doesn't deliver on the action it promises. ( )
  Elna_McIntosh | Sep 29, 2021 |
Gappy but masterfully plotted and organized. Unlike Sanderson, Nix shows you, instead of showing and telling, his world. This leads to a few gaps, but the sense of the depth of the world and the uniqueness of it almost makes up for it.

I like that it's self- contained and creative. The shifting viewpoint and lack of answers bothered me but not enough to keep me from enjoying it. Recommended for mature teens. A little darker than Rowling's earliest 5. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
This series is beautifully written and the characters are deeply compelling. There is definitely a dark element to these books but it is written in such a way that it is not overly disturbing. Despite the fantastical elements I find the characters to be extremely believable. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionscalculated
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Villari Gerli, FabriziaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna and Thomas Henry Nix.
Fog rose from the river, great billows of white weaving into the soot and smoke of the city of Corvere, to become the hybrid thing that the more popular newspapers called smog and The Times "miasmic fog".

Lirael and Sam
race to stop the Destroyer
becoming unbound.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,966,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible