dismiss

The Wee Free Men (2003)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Romans du Disque-Monde (tome 2), Discworld: Tiffany Aching (1), Discworld: Young Adult (2), Discworld (30)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For rising YA readers who like smart mouths and smarter brains, because Polly (age 19) is going to find and rescue her brother. Or else.
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (midnightblues)
    midnightblues: Well worth reading the full series.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For middle-grade readers interested in fairyland, and the dangers inherent there.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    Summer in Orcus by T Kingfisher (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For middle-grade readers interested in solitary children and immersive worlds: Because there's a whole horizon in front of Summer (age 11), and it just keeps getting bigger.

English (205)  German (2)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (214)
One of my favorite YA books in one of my favorite YA series by one of my favorite fantasy authors, Terry Pratchett. I just re-read it for the third or fourth time. It's the first in the Tiffany Aching books. In this book, Tiffany, aged nine, becomes the kelda of a clan of pictsies and must rescue her unattractive little brother Wentworth (and the Baron's son Roland while she's at it) from the Queen of the Fairies. Nominally set in the Discworld but really in the chalk hills of some ancient Britain, the book is a delight. As with Pratchett's best work, it's terribly funny at the same time as it's serious and sweet, and contains some marvelous truths.

“The thing about witchcraft,” said Mistress Weatherwax, “is that it’s not like school at all. First you get the test, and then afterward you spend years findin’ out how you passed it. It’s a bit like life in that respect.” ( )
1 vote dmturner | Jun 29, 2020 |
This might be the best YA book I've ever read.

Need I say more?
Everyone knows how charming Terry Pratchett can be and his humor was always top notch. But what people generally overlook is the wisdom.

First Sight, Second Think.

That's the main thing about being a witch or even being a bit bright. See things as they are and never settle for your first think. Hello!

I love Tiffany. Harder than the earth, handy with string and a big pan. And she demands respect. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Fun tale of young Tiffany. She is a very bright 9 years old. She goes to rescue her brother from the Queen. With the help of the wee free men she goes into the realm of the Queen and dreams. She has the 1st sight - the ability to see things as they really are, a frying pan and the ability to ask questions. ( )
  nx74defiant | May 20, 2020 |
This was a REALLY enjoyable book, my favorite of the Discworld series so far. I'm not sure how much of it is that this is YA vs. an adult novel, and how much of it is Pratchett growing as an author, but this book had a lot less of the "so bad it's bad" variety of pun. Yes, there are still puns and it's still has a LOT of funny bits. But the story is the point of the writing. (In many of the early Discworld novels I felt like the pun was the point of the writing.)

The characters in this novel are great, and if we learn more of the background for Tiffany and Granny Aching than anyone else, well that's only natural given the story. The secondary characters are still sufficiently developed, and a lot of fun. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Tiffany Aching is only 9-years old, but already she has a different sense of all that is happening around her. She is by the river when she sees two tiny blue men in kilts. They warn her that there is a ‘green heid’ or a monster in the river called Jenny Greenteeth. Unfazed by this, she sets a trap using her small brother, Wentworth and tempts the monster out of the water and cracks her with her frying pan.

She heads into town to top up her education from the teachers who travel around. It is here that she meets Miss Tick, a witch from up in the mountains. She sees that Tiffany has potential, but Miss Tick still can’t believe that witches can exist on the chalk. Miss Tick tells her that the tiny blue men are Nac Mac Feegles, a rough and ready fae people who speak with a strong accent. She returns home to discover that Wentworth has gone missing.

Not knowing what to do, she heads outside to contact the Nac Mac Feegles and see if they can help. They tell her that the Queen has taken him to Fairyland and that they will be happy to help her rescue him, but first, they need a new Kelda or leader. The Feegles check to see is she is capable of finding Fairyland and let her find the entrance. Soon after they have entered they are faced with several large wolves and these dream-like blobs called dromes. But Tiffany still has to face the Queen and at that point, there will be a reckoning.

This is the first of the Tiffany sub-series that I have read and I thought it was just brilliant. Pratchett has taken elements of the witches from his past books and formed them into this new character who you can sense developing page by page. One of my favourite parts of the book was when Granny Weatherwax and Tiffany first meet. Weatherwax knows exactly what she is seeing in this young witch, she respects her place in the landscape and can already see what Tiffany will be capable of in time. It is amusing as I have come to expect from all of his books, full of subtle and not so subtle humour and the Nac Mac Feegles are just hilarious. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |

Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Player, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.
“Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That's the kind of person I am!”
“Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."

"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,862,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible