The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The Wee Free Men (2003)

by Terry Pratchett

8,252193590 (4.2)407
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For rising YA readers who like smart mouths and smarter brains, because Polly (age 19) is going to find and rescue her brother. Or else.
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (midnightblues)
    midnightblues: Well worth reading the full series.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For middle-grade readers interested in fairyland, and the dangers inherent there.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    Summer in Orcus by T Kingfisher (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For middle-grade readers interested in solitary children and immersive worlds: Because there's a whole horizon in front of Summer (age 11), and it just keeps getting bigger.

English (186)  German (2)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (193)
This book seemed distinctly more Young Adult than the other Pratchett books I've read, which may be the case and is not necessarily a bad thing. It was plenty funny with, as always, an absurd cast of characters, a delightful adventure, and hilarious moments. ( )
  mmaestiho | Sep 20, 2018 |
Perfect. You know, as you'd expect anything to be from this guy. ( )
  ambersnowpants | Aug 23, 2018 |
Good, I guess. But it felt too much like Henson's Labyrinth. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 31, 2018 |
The Wee Free Men is one of several novels (Carpet People, Truckers, Wings, Diggers, A Hatful of Sky, I Shall Wear Midnight, Maskerade) where this author returns to his tiny person fixation (he said this was inspired by T.H. White’s book Miss Masham’s Repose, in which a colony of Lilliputians is discovered in someone’s garden). They’re just like homo sapiens every time but their physical form has been greatly scaled down and their personalities have been outrageously scaled-up. In Wee Free Men, the little folk (Nac Mac Feegles) are miniature Glaswegian bandits, who serve on the apron strings of their female Kelda. They make friends with a trainee witch and then have to combat big, bad problems, which they do so with a blithe disrespect for safety and personal property. Unlike Rowling’s indoor wizard school, the educational environment for trainee witches appears to be the open countryside. As with many other Pratchett books, there has to be something nasty for them to face or you wouldn’t be able to see them be tested and how they deal with emotions like loss. There’s also the sense of our world of knowledge and control being very small and always surrounded by this huge background of fuzzy chaos and the unknown, always trying to pop something malign into our realm which someone odd and special (in alliance with uniquely talented and amusingly irresponsible friends) is going to have to deal with. This is a good book but the stereotypes might be funny to some readers and insulting to others (I thought funny, but you never know) and the author seemed unable to move on from the idea of small slapstick people bumping into each other like the Time Bandits. ( )
  HavingFaith | May 29, 2018 |
Tiffany Aching is discovering that she a witch and what that means. This children's book is not as funny as the adult Discworld books. It's OK as a fantasy but I miss the satire and humour. ( )
  Robertgreaves | May 10, 2018 |

Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Player, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.
“Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That's the kind of person I am!”
“Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."

"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short.”

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060012382, Mass Market Paperback)

Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie! Prolific fantasy author Terry Pratchett has served up another delicious helping of his famed Discworld fare. The not-quite-teen set will delight in the Feegles’ spicy, irreverent dialogue and Tiffany’s salty determination. Novices to Pratchett’s prose will find much to like here, and quickly go back to devour the rest of his Discworld offerings. Scrumptiously recommended. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,023,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible