The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The Wee Free Men (2003)

by Terry Pratchett

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "Utensile Strength".)
    The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (midnightblues)
    midnightblues: Well worth reading the full series.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Dreams Made Flesh by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "The Prince of Ebon Rih".)

English (166)  German (2)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All (173)
An invasion from another realm is looming. Witch-to-be Tiffany Aching is the only one who stands against the oncoming forces. Lickily, the Nac Mac Feegle- Wee Free Men - are there to help!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 9, 2017 |
Nine year old Tiffany sets off to find her baby brother Wentworth, who has been stolen by the evil faerie queen. She is helped immensely all along the way by tiny men, feegles with red hair and kilts, who temporariiy claim her as their leader. ( )
  sleahey | Feb 28, 2017 |
Tiffany Aching grows up on the chalk downs of the "wold," learning to make cheese and helping to care for sheep and her sticky little brother, Wentworth. When a group of tiny blue warrior "pictsies" suddenly turn up, Tiffany's world suddenly begins to move from the mundane to the improbable. Then, Wentworth disappears, and Tiffany and the "wee free men" must venture into the dreamworld of the evil fairy queen to save him.
This is clever, inventive and beautifully written. A perfect "fairy tale" for young adults and young "grown ups." ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Taking place in Discworld, but not necessarily in the Discworld series. A young girl by the name of Tiffany Aching has to defend her land against the queen of the faerie world. Mainly because Tiffany's grandmother is dead and so she can't do it. Tiffany is a witch in the making. Granny Weatherwax comes in at the end. It is called Wee Free Men" because Tiffany gets help by the Mac Nac Feegles. Little blue pict'sies. Drunk, rowdy, almost indestructable but fun and lovable none the less. This was classic Pratchett WITH excellent writing, tight plot and everything was funny, not stupid. Best Pratchett ever!" ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Although this is billed as a Young Adult novel, it lives up to Terry Pratchett's "adult" novels. ( )
  ouroborosangel | Nov 30, 2016 |
The "pictsies" are very funny, especially if you know Scots dialect. We like all the Terry Pratchett series, and re-read them regularly. This is another winner.

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bartocci, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brandhorst, AndreasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.
“Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That's the kind of person I am!”
“Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."

"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short.”

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060012382, Mass Market Paperback)

Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie! Prolific fantasy author Terry Pratchett has served up another delicious helping of his famed Discworld fare. The not-quite-teen set will delight in the Feegles’ spicy, irreverent dialogue and Tiffany’s salty determination. Novices to Pratchett’s prose will find much to like here, and quickly go back to devour the rest of his Discworld offerings. Scrumptiously recommended. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,259,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible