The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The Wee Free Men (2003)

by Terry Pratchett

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "Utensile Strength".)
    The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (midnightblues)
    midnightblues: Well worth reading the full series.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Dreams Made Flesh by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "The Prince of Ebon Rih".)

English (168)  German (2)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All (175)
Steikje, Pratchett er god, og oversetterne er ikke så aller verst de heller. ( )
  pan0ramix | May 26, 2017 |
What a delightful read! My wife read this aloud to our sons, replete with a host of voices for the Nac Mac Feegles, and I listened in off and on to the laughter. Pratchett was brilliant with the side vernacular and humor in this one. I should have read this long ago. I'll surely move on to the next Tiffany Aching...and more of Rob Anybody and Daft Wullie, and likely missing No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-than-Wee-Jock Jock.

Crivens! ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
The Wee Free Men is the first book in the Tiffany Aching subseries of Discworld. Calling it “young adult” might be a stretch since the protagonist is nine and I thought the story seemed suitable for a younger audience. On the other hand, as with many children protagonists, she probably behaved as if she were older than a typical nine-year-old. In any case, the story was entertaining enough for an adult to enjoy and I did enjoy it quite a bit.

The story is set in a small farming community, where witchcraft is frowned upon. Tiffany, whose late grandmother was possibly a witch, seems to have some skills in that area herself. Those skills are put to the test when creatures from another world start showing up near Tiffany’s home. Without any other witches living nearby, she must try to deal with things herself until more experienced witches can arrive. Fortunately, she does have a ‘little’ help in the meantime.

Tiffany Aching is a good character, easy to sympathize with and root for. I also really enjoyed the Nac Mac Feegles who are the “Wee Free Men” referenced in the title. They, and to some extent the talking toad, were a lot of fun. There wasn’t as much satire and puns in this book, but it did have some light humor. ( )
2 vote YouKneeK | Mar 30, 2017 |
An invasion from another realm is looming. Witch-to-be Tiffany Aching is the only one who stands against the oncoming forces. Lickily, the Nac Mac Feegle- Wee Free Men - are there to help!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 9, 2017 |
Nine year old Tiffany sets off to find her baby brother Wentworth, who has been stolen by the evil faerie queen. She is helped immensely all along the way by tiny men, feegles with red hair and kilts, who temporariiy claim her as their leader. ( )
  sleahey | Feb 28, 2017 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bartocci, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brandhorst, AndreasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.
“Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That's the kind of person I am!”
“Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."

"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short.”

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060012382, Mass Market Paperback)

Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie! Prolific fantasy author Terry Pratchett has served up another delicious helping of his famed Discworld fare. The not-quite-teen set will delight in the Feegles’ spicy, irreverent dialogue and Tiffany’s salty determination. Novices to Pratchett’s prose will find much to like here, and quickly go back to devour the rest of his Discworld offerings. Scrumptiously recommended. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,044,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible