The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen…

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

by Stephen Chbosky (Author)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (bookworm12, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both Speak and Wallflower are books about young teens struggling to find acceptance in high school while trying to deal with trauma - both without being preachy or cloying.
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (derelicious)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (MickyFine)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (LadyBlakeny)
    How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater by Marc Acito (themephi)
    The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Virgin Suicides is pretty heavy going however there are quite a few films about teenage angst they might work. Some are darker than others and some are quite old but they could work with Perks... Breakfast Club, Heathers, Girl Interrupted, Rebel without a cause, Footloose, The Year my Voice Broke, Donnie Darko, Ferris Bueller's Day Off.… (more)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    Creepy & Maud by Dianne Touchell (Brindle)
    Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley (derelicious)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Office Girl by Joe Meno (Cecilturtle)
    Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira (rosylibrarian)

English (481)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (484)
Catcher in the Rye .. the author refers to the book more than twice and I would say is the inspiration behind the book, but is somewhat different and more touching in some aspects. Then again one is written some 20 years before the other and both portray very similar yet different issues. It's about being a kid and trying to fit in and that's something we all did at one point. This is a much more organized read than Catcher in the Rye, but both are somewhat haphazard like the minds of a teenager trying to express him/herself. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
I read about 30% of this book before dropping it. This is another of those books that has an insane amount of praise that it doesn't deserve. So far i've noticed the following things:

* Charlie is shown as a guy who feels that he doesn't "fit in" with other people around him. Little does he know that the reason he doesn't fit in with others is not because there is something wrong with him. It's because he's an introvert and he enjoys introverted activities - which the book hasn't brought out so far. For ex. he doesn't like parties, he can't relate to the fast and intense life that he sees other people living around him, he enjoys deep discussions rather than superficial banter, he likes hanging out with his two friends as opposed to a batallion of people like the fucks as extroverts typically like.

* Charlie is told about "the way" things work with girls. How you provide them a mould they can fit into and vice versa. Well, from my own life experience I feel that that is the wrong explanation of friendship/dating. It's true that some girls like being moulded but it's only because they haven't found themselves yet. They're girls, adolescents at heart, not mature women yet. Once they grow up and mature they would much rather have a person who is independent and listens to them. There's no moulding required on either side in a healthy relationship. Both sides are independent and developed/developing. They help each other.

The book gives the immature explanation to Charlie and so far this has not been rectified.

* Just after someone tells Charlie the above point Charlie becomes confused about relationships (no shit.. now that feels like a character I can feel). He starts observing other relationships around him and tries to figure out whether this point holds true or not. This is a very natural thing. It's the way introverts absorb the an advice. If someone tells you something that you can't absorb instantly it's pretty natural for you to experiment around it and then realize what it means. But at this point someone tells Charlie that he should participate in life rather than "thinking" about things. This was another strike for me. He's just being natural. Then someone gave him some theory and now he's met another jackass who's giving him another theory. This isn't really a coming-of-age story. I don't see Charlie maturing in anyway. What I do see is people around him giving him wrong advice and confusing the fuck out of him. Minus points for the book.

* The gay relationship of Patrick. This is like a parallel plot that goes on simultaneously. It's unrelated to Charlie. I guess all the gay lovers must have praised this book for this gay relationship itself. I'm not comfortable with the gay thing. I find it very disgusting and yucky. I guess my saying this itself is reason enough for people to start flaming. But before someone does that let me ask you a question - How would you feel if I discussed about a man making love to a camel? I would give you intricate details about the kiss, each one's reaction etc. Would you find it disgusting or would you openly accept it as "being a normal" thing? That's what I feel about this gay thing. If you like camels then please keep it to yourself. Don't expect everyone else to like it.

* The gay plotline again doesn't have anything to do with Charlie's maturing.

* The slow story progress. A time came when I felt that Charlie is just rambling about nothing. So I started skipping paragraphs. Didn't make a difference, so I started skimming through the text to see if any major plot developments take place. I must have skimmed around 5 pages before I lost interest in the book.

Overall I expected the book to tell me a story about someone who matures with time. Who starts learning about life and improves himself. Instead it was some random doodling story about a guy who keeps giving his opinions.... some love affair there... some gay here... some pretty girl there... more random doodling... I was quite disappointed with these expectations. I'm glad I'm putting this book down too. ( )
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
I liked this little book. It was a quick read, and an enjoyable one. I had seen the movie before reading the book, so knew essentially what happens, but as usual the book was so much more detailed and you develop such an attachment with the characters.
I think that the story development could have been better, with certain issues (and this book has A LOT of issues) dealt with in a different way to make it seem less like all these things were just being thrown at the story for the hell of it. But thats probably the only flaw. The writing can be described as childish, but I think that fits with the autistic-spectrum protagonist.
The book is fun, and worth a read, even if just for those few famous and resonating quotes; "we accept the love we think we deserve". ( )
  chimocho | Jul 7, 2015 |
This was an excellent read. I am upset with myself that I have waited so long to read it, my friend must have loaned it to me at least three years ago.

But the guilt can stop, and I can simply rejoice that I have finally read it!

This is a story of a young man, he is 16, but only a freshman in high school from being held back due to a hospitalization in middle school that caused him to miss too much school. He is bright academically, but socially he has his challenges. He is extremely sensitive, and is fast to cry--two things that would not serve anyone well in high school, let alone a boy with no friends. But then he finds new friends, and they are the world to him. They introduce him to love, laughter, fun and inclusion. But they aren't perfect, and he isn't either. They still have trials and tribulations to get through.

If you were like me and hadn't read this...change that now and read it! ( )
  csweder | Jul 7, 2015 |
painfully accurate representation of high school in suburban Pittsburgh. (except Smiley Cookies are Eat'n'Park, not Big Boy, minus one star for that glaring error.) ( )
  weeta | Jul 5, 2015 |
For my family
Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.
“Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve.”
“Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it’s no excuse.”
And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn’t.
Because I guess we all forget sometimes. And I think that everyone is special in their own way. I really do.
The inside jokes weren’t jokes anymore. They had become stories. Nobody brought up the bad names or the bad times. And nobody felt sad as long as we could postpone tomorrow with more nostalgia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027344, Paperback)

What is most notable about this funny, touching, memorable first novel from Stephen Chbosky is the resounding accuracy with which the author captures the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood. Charlie is a freshman. And while's he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. He's a wallflower--shy and introspective, and intelligent beyond his years, if not very savvy in the social arts. We learn about Charlie through the letters he writes to someone of undisclosed name, age, and gender, a stylistic technique that adds to the heart-wrenching earnestness saturating this teen's story. Charlie encounters the same struggles that many kids face in high school--how to make friends, the intensity of a crush, family tensions, a first relationship, exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs--but he must also deal with his best friend's recent suicide. Charlie's letters take on the intimate feel of a journal as he shares his day-to-day thoughts and feelings:

I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.
With the help of a teacher who recognizes his wisdom and intuition, and his two friends, seniors Samantha and Patrick, Charlie mostly manages to avoid the depression he feels creeping up like kudzu. When it all becomes too much, after a shocking realization about his beloved late Aunt Helen, Charlie retreats from reality for awhile. But he makes it back in due time, ready to face his sophomore year and all that it may bring. Charlie, sincerely searching for that feeling of "being infinite," is a kindred spirit to the generation that's been slapped with the label X. --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:17 -0400)

A coming of age novel about Charlie, a freshman in high school who is a wallflower, shy and introspective, and very intelligent. He deals with the usual teen problems, but also with the suicide of his best friend.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,480,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible