The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen…

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

by Stephen Chbosky (Author)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (bookworm12, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both Speak and Wallflower are books about young teens struggling to find acceptance in high school while trying to deal with trauma - both without being preachy or cloying.
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (derelicious)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (MickyFine)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (LadyBlakeny)
    How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater by Marc Acito (themephi)
    The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Virgin Suicides is pretty heavy going however there are quite a few films about teenage angst they might work. Some are darker than others and some are quite old but they could work with Perks... Breakfast Club, Heathers, Girl Interrupted, Rebel without a cause, Footloose, The Year my Voice Broke, Donnie Darko, Ferris Bueller's Day Off.… (more)
    Creepy & Maud by Dianne Touchell (Brindle)
    Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley (derelicious)
    Office Girl by Joe Meno (Cecilturtle)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira (rosylibrarian)

English (457)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (461)
I thought at first that I would be able to relate to the main character, Charlie. But as the book went on, his high school experience turned more and more into a bad after school special about everything under the sun. I don't know how the author managed to cram every possible angsty issue in 200 pages but he managed it none the less.

I was not impressed with the ending. Was that supposed to be the root cause of his stunted social development? If so, I don't see how that makes much sense. And how did his parents not catch on to him drinking and smoking so much?

In any case, it was an engaging story that touched on some interesting issues. I simply felt he tried to do too much leaving it all feeling a little forced. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
Extraordinary book - a male high school freshman writing letters about that year of his life - and you end up satisfied even with all the unanswered questions. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Freshman Charlie is an introvert and a loner until he meets two siblings that live life with no abandon, and in turn help him to do the same.
  EmKel753 | Dec 2, 2014 |
I started reading this book because I heard there was about to be a movie made for it. I want to see the movie and I always read the book first if I am going to watch the movie. So, I picked up this book and it was not what I expected. It was intriguing as well as bewildering living inside a teenage boy's head for a little while.

I felt a real connection to Charlie though. The passage that talks about how he does things to make everone else happy even if it doesn't make him happy, that is totally me and I understood Charlie in better in that moment. I also felt a connection to him when I found out what happened at the end of the book. Not his actions but the actions that were taken against him. So many people have been through that sort of situation, too many, and even if it sounds twisted it is nice to not be the only victim of something so haneous.

There were a lot of pop culture references in this book, many of which I did not understand but I am going to definitely try to read a few of Charlie's books, listen to some of his music, and watch Rockie Horror Picture Show. I enjoyed this book for the way it shines a dark light on very real problems for the teenage generation.
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
For my family
Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.
“Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve.”
“Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it’s no excuse.”
And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn’t.
Because I guess we all forget sometimes. And I think that everyone is special in their own way. I really do.
The inside jokes weren’t jokes anymore. They had become stories. Nobody brought up the bad names or the bad times. And nobody felt sad as long as we could postpone tomorrow with more nostalgia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027344, Paperback)

What is most notable about this funny, touching, memorable first novel from Stephen Chbosky is the resounding accuracy with which the author captures the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood. Charlie is a freshman. And while's he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. He's a wallflower--shy and introspective, and intelligent beyond his years, if not very savvy in the social arts. We learn about Charlie through the letters he writes to someone of undisclosed name, age, and gender, a stylistic technique that adds to the heart-wrenching earnestness saturating this teen's story. Charlie encounters the same struggles that many kids face in high school--how to make friends, the intensity of a crush, family tensions, a first relationship, exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs--but he must also deal with his best friend's recent suicide. Charlie's letters take on the intimate feel of a journal as he shares his day-to-day thoughts and feelings:

I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.
With the help of a teacher who recognizes his wisdom and intuition, and his two friends, seniors Samantha and Patrick, Charlie mostly manages to avoid the depression he feels creeping up like kudzu. When it all becomes too much, after a shocking realization about his beloved late Aunt Helen, Charlie retreats from reality for awhile. But he makes it back in due time, ready to face his sophomore year and all that it may bring. Charlie, sincerely searching for that feeling of "being infinite," is a kindred spirit to the generation that's been slapped with the label X. --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:35 -0400)

A coming of age novel about Charlie, a freshman in high school who is a wallflower, shy and introspective, and very intelligent. He deals with the usual teen problems, but also with the suicide of his best friend.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,354,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible