The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen…

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

by Stephen Chbosky (Author)

2012 (42) 2013 (42) abuse (108) adolescence (68) angst (70) coming of age (399) depression (108) drugs (138) epistolary (87) family (53) favorites (53) fiction (781) friendship (160) high school (260) homosexuality (79) letters (66) music (60) novel (71) own (57) read (152) realistic fiction (70) relationships (44) sexual abuse (64) suicide (51) teen (133) teenagers (54) to-read (155) YA (289) young adult (414) young adult fiction (71)

English (426)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (429)
This book has left a raw, nostalgic aura that is still following me around the house. Had I read this book when I was in high school I think I may have become obsessed with it. Charlie has his own questions and journeys in the book. They are not my journeys. And yet, they are. The specifics of the thoughts and experiences differ but the rawness and honesty and emotion of Charlie's letters lead me back to that time in my own life. I recognized the longing. I recognized the angst. The loneliness, The fear. The joy. Those elusive connections that, as it turned out, weren't as elusive as I had convinced myself. The pattern of the day unfolding and the anxiety in trying to just make it to the next one. When the words didn't match my own experience, the impact and emotional memory brought me right back to those days. I think I would have loved to have read this back then because it felt in many ways like my own journal. The book understood the me I was back then. It broke my heart a little. I healed my sixteen year old heart a little too. ( )
  Absent_Librarian | Apr 9, 2014 |
This is the story of a very intelligent, introvert and fully talented freshman boy and how he deals with his personal and college problems.
It is an amazing book for everybody and even more for those who can relate with him. ( )
  rosaalonso | Apr 1, 2014 |
I completely loved this book.
I saw the movie before I actually read the book so I had an idea of what to expect, but like every movie they skip out on some details so there were somethings that I was not expecting!
I would recommend this book to anyone who can handle slightly dark themes, the story contains a lot of references to many movies, books and films and it was fun to pick them out, I love how the author's writing style is as though Charlie was actually talking to you throughout the book, it makes you feel very involved with the story and is a book I would be willing to share with anyone. ( )
  DaniellaEllen | Mar 20, 2014 |
It was an okay book. It's a book that appeals to a certain group of people, to a certain generation. Its like an appetizer for me. It just did not fill me, I'm still hungry after reading it. It not a must read but its not a waste of time either. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 16, 2014 |
It always makes me sad when books like this are 'banned' in schools. Usually, the people in charge of what gets banned, are the ones who should be reading these things in the first place. To me, censorship isn't always about what offends people; but rather what some people don't want to talk about, because it makes them uncomfortable: sex, drugs, homosexuality, death, molestation, and just being a teenager. When books, like 'Perks Of Being A Wallflower' get banned, we're basically telling our kids, I'm uncomfortable talking about this. Which is wrong, because then a lot of kids go looking for their own answers and find trouble instead.
I've only been at this parenting thing 6 & 1/2 years, I know I have a LONG ways to go and I'll never be an expert at it. But I'll keep my eyes and ears open and hopefully, when my son has a problem or a question; he'll come to me and not go looking for answers on his own.
One can only hope. ( )
  ComicGirl178 | Mar 14, 2014 |
For my family
Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.
“Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve.”
“Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it’s no excuse.”
And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn’t.
Because I guess we all forget sometimes. And I think that everyone is special in their own way. I really do.
The inside jokes weren’t jokes anymore. They had become stories. Nobody brought up the bad names or the bad times. And nobody felt sad as long as we could postpone tomorrow with more nostalgia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027344, Paperback)

What is most notable about this funny, touching, memorable first novel from Stephen Chbosky is the resounding accuracy with which the author captures the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood. Charlie is a freshman. And while's he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. He's a wallflower--shy and introspective, and intelligent beyond his years, if not very savvy in the social arts. We learn about Charlie through the letters he writes to someone of undisclosed name, age, and gender, a stylistic technique that adds to the heart-wrenching earnestness saturating this teen's story. Charlie encounters the same struggles that many kids face in high school--how to make friends, the intensity of a crush, family tensions, a first relationship, exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs--but he must also deal with his best friend's recent suicide. Charlie's letters take on the intimate feel of a journal as he shares his day-to-day thoughts and feelings:

I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.
With the help of a teacher who recognizes his wisdom and intuition, and his two friends, seniors Samantha and Patrick, Charlie mostly manages to avoid the depression he feels creeping up like kudzu. When it all becomes too much, after a shocking realization about his beloved late Aunt Helen, Charlie retreats from reality for awhile. But he makes it back in due time, ready to face his sophomore year and all that it may bring. Charlie, sincerely searching for that feeling of "being infinite," is a kindred spirit to the generation that's been slapped with the label X. --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:35 -0400)

A coming of age novel about Charlie, a freshman in high school who is a wallflower, shy and introspective, and very intelligent. He deals with the usual teen problems, but also with the suicide of his best friend.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,573,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible