The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen…

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

by Stephen Chbosky (Author)

English (449)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (452)
Okay. I am one of those people. We watched this movie in the theater, and I liked it enough that I demanded Andrew take me straight to the bookstore after the movie, where I raced around trying to find a copy before close, not exactly remembering the spelling of the author's name, and forgetting if this was supposed to be fiction or a memoir, and absolutely refusing to ask for help because I was chagrined about buying a movie tie-in book in the first place. (When I finally found it I was elated there were no actor's faces on the cover, but then I saw the promotional emblem -- Now a Major Motion Picture! Curses!) I had to pick two "serious" books before I checked out in order to "redeem" my image in the eyes of the booksellers, who only cared that I finished my purchase before closing time.

I blew through this book in a day. It is a relatively slim volume, but still, I'm not entirely sure how I made that happen. It is certain that I enjoyed the book more because I was already emotionally involved with the characters from the movie. Which helped smooth over some of the scenes and situations that were either too much or too distant. But in between there were enough moments that were truly delightful, or so achingly familiar that it mostly managed to live up to my expectations.

I know this is something of a cult novel, and that for many, this is one of the best coming of age novels of all time. I wouldn't go that far, and not just, I think, because I was five years or so too old when it came out. But there were plenty of moments of recognition to appreciate -- about being introverted, being trusted with secrets, feeling "infinite" (no matter how hokey that sounds, I know what he means), feeling trapped by others' expectations and desires. Enough to forgive nearly anything in the moments in between. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
I don't even know where to begin. This book is amazing. It's really easy to read and is so direct that is like reading a friends letter. The author writting through "Charlie" is so engaging and unapologetic that I could not put it down for a second. I actually read it in less than 24 hours. (First time in mi life that's happened) Anyway, a true coming of age story which I think anyone over 15-17 should read. ( )
  josescott | Sep 20, 2014 |
The novel is entirely told to the reader through letters during Charlie’s first year of high school. He does not have many friends, but manages to become close friends with Samantha (Sam) and Patrick who are brother and sister. He first speaks with them at a football game as Patrick is cheering for Brad, the quarterback. The basic topics of Charlie’s letters deal with school; family relationships; finding friends; first dates, sexual encounters; suicide; and drugs.

This is Stephen Chbosky’s debut novel and has been several weeks on the NYT YA bestseller list (# 12 as of June 1, 2014). Personally, I think it too sexually explicit for the recommended ages (Ages 14 and up). I would suggest 16 or 17 as the youngest age range.

The term ‘wallflower’ is given a slightly different definition from the standard version. Per dictionary.com, it means ‘a person who, because of shyness, unpopularity, or lack of a partner, remains at the side at a party or dance’. In this novel, it tends to mean someone who hears a lot; understands a lot, and remains silent. The novel seems to suggest that sex and homosexuality are inevitable in high school. The Perks of Being a Wallflower has become a major motion picture starring Emma Watson as Sam; Logan Lerman as Charlie; and Ezra Miller as Patrick. A movie trailer is below.

I realize I’m in the minority, but I rated The Perks of Being a Wallfower at 2.5 out of 5. The redeeming quality of this novel for me is how supportive Charlie, Sam, and Patrick are with each other.

http://www.fictionzeal.com/perks-wallflower-stephen-chbosky/ ( )
  FictionZeal | Aug 31, 2014 |
I fell in love with the main character of the book. His mature yet jaded outlook on life and death was something that I could really relate to. The book shadowed many of my own experiences and thoughts while growing up. So many big questions that are left for you to figure out in whatever way you can (be it through friends, family, books or from your own experiences). It brought up all those thoughts again and my experiences with them... it really brought me back to those days. I love how the author took this outcast kid and used in him in such a way that brought up so many stories and emotions, things people can relate to or at least gain an understanding for. It truly was a fantastic book and I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
This will forever be my feel good book. I am currently suffering through depression and have been for several years, and if there was a day that I mentally couldn't move then I pulled out this book. Charlie's words would envelope me, and I would lose myself in the pages of the novel. The book is not for the light of heart, and if you do choose to venture through Charlie's freshman year with him, be sure now to blink or you could miss a second of this beautiful piece. ( )
  juliamarinaro | Aug 19, 2014 |
For my family
Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.
“Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve.”
“Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it’s no excuse.”
And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn’t.
Because I guess we all forget sometimes. And I think that everyone is special in their own way. I really do.
The inside jokes weren’t jokes anymore. They had become stories. Nobody brought up the bad names or the bad times. And nobody felt sad as long as we could postpone tomorrow with more nostalgia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027344, Paperback)

What is most notable about this funny, touching, memorable first novel from Stephen Chbosky is the resounding accuracy with which the author captures the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood. Charlie is a freshman. And while's he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. He's a wallflower--shy and introspective, and intelligent beyond his years, if not very savvy in the social arts. We learn about Charlie through the letters he writes to someone of undisclosed name, age, and gender, a stylistic technique that adds to the heart-wrenching earnestness saturating this teen's story. Charlie encounters the same struggles that many kids face in high school--how to make friends, the intensity of a crush, family tensions, a first relationship, exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs--but he must also deal with his best friend's recent suicide. Charlie's letters take on the intimate feel of a journal as he shares his day-to-day thoughts and feelings:

I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.
With the help of a teacher who recognizes his wisdom and intuition, and his two friends, seniors Samantha and Patrick, Charlie mostly manages to avoid the depression he feels creeping up like kudzu. When it all becomes too much, after a shocking realization about his beloved late Aunt Helen, Charlie retreats from reality for awhile. But he makes it back in due time, ready to face his sophomore year and all that it may bring. Charlie, sincerely searching for that feeling of "being infinite," is a kindred spirit to the generation that's been slapped with the label X. --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:35 -0400)

A coming of age novel about Charlie, a freshman in high school who is a wallflower, shy and introspective, and very intelligent. He deals with the usual teen problems, but also with the suicide of his best friend.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible