The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen…

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

by Stephen Chbosky (Author)

Recently added byGillyisanotaku, BCTG, Becchanalia, bowsbybaus, private library, andersongs, Alexiou, momof3boys, Red0
2013 (44) abuse (111) adolescence (71) angst (71) coming of age (410) depression (110) drugs (141) epistolary (89) family (56) favorite (43) favorites (55) fiction (797) friendship (165) high school (268) homosexuality (79) letters (66) music (60) novel (72) own (57) read (152) realistic fiction (72) relationships (45) sexual abuse (65) suicide (53) teen (136) teenagers (55) to-read (177) YA (299) young adult (426) young adult fiction (73)

English (440)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (443)
Yup, I jumped on this band-wagon.

And it was so wonderful that I don't even want to talk about it for fear of not doing it justice. It's really that good. I don't care who you are or what you've done, read this book. You will get SOMETHING out of it. And if you don't, you're exactly what this book is talking about.

4.5 stars. WELL done. ( )
1 vote frozenplums | Jun 29, 2014 |
This book is very interesting and is surprisingly relatable. 5Q5P The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this book for high school students. I chose to read this book because I'd heard many good things about it from my friends. AdamM
  edspicer | Jun 17, 2014 |
I am an emotional mess and I am also very happy. I have heard that Stephen Chbosky is an amazing author and this is my first introduction to his work and I am so moved. I feel like he opened up a water fall in me. I immediately went out to get the movie and I am watching it now and balling. This story was an experience for me, not just an amazing read. My only problem is WHY didn't I read this when it came out. It probably would have helped me a lot through high school. "Participate." I like that. I loved how real this novel was. No cookie cutter, easy feelings. It was messy. And I loved every messy bit of it. And the optimism of this book was palpable. I adored Charlie so much. He had it rough and he was always trying to stay happy and hoping for the happiness in others. Ugh. I feel like this is one of those great books that help you in life, that heal you and keep you going. ( )
  KatieHeflin | Jun 16, 2014 |
Easy to read book about Charlie growing up and the friends he meets at school. OK nothing special though. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jun 11, 2014 |
4Q 4P (my VOYA code) A very wonderful book about growing up, identity, relationships, and mental health issues. I loved the main character and the letter format of this book. ALSO all the references. I love books with a lot of intertextuality with both other texts and music. I think that this book would be very helpful for young adults who are struggling with emotional issues and relationships because Charlie's articulation of his thought process and emotions is very meaningful and relatable. Especially for people who are really really shy. ( )
  LoisHaight | Jun 8, 2014 |
For my family
Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.
“Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve.”
“Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it’s no excuse.”
And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn’t.
Because I guess we all forget sometimes. And I think that everyone is special in their own way. I really do.
The inside jokes weren’t jokes anymore. They had become stories. Nobody brought up the bad names or the bad times. And nobody felt sad as long as we could postpone tomorrow with more nostalgia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027344, Paperback)

What is most notable about this funny, touching, memorable first novel from Stephen Chbosky is the resounding accuracy with which the author captures the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood. Charlie is a freshman. And while's he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. He's a wallflower--shy and introspective, and intelligent beyond his years, if not very savvy in the social arts. We learn about Charlie through the letters he writes to someone of undisclosed name, age, and gender, a stylistic technique that adds to the heart-wrenching earnestness saturating this teen's story. Charlie encounters the same struggles that many kids face in high school--how to make friends, the intensity of a crush, family tensions, a first relationship, exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs--but he must also deal with his best friend's recent suicide. Charlie's letters take on the intimate feel of a journal as he shares his day-to-day thoughts and feelings:

I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.
With the help of a teacher who recognizes his wisdom and intuition, and his two friends, seniors Samantha and Patrick, Charlie mostly manages to avoid the depression he feels creeping up like kudzu. When it all becomes too much, after a shocking realization about his beloved late Aunt Helen, Charlie retreats from reality for awhile. But he makes it back in due time, ready to face his sophomore year and all that it may bring. Charlie, sincerely searching for that feeling of "being infinite," is a kindred spirit to the generation that's been slapped with the label X. --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:35 -0400)

A coming of age novel about Charlie, a freshman in high school who is a wallflower, shy and introspective, and very intelligent. He deals with the usual teen problems, but also with the suicide of his best friend.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible