The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory

The Kingmaker's Daughter

by Philippa Gregory (Author)

Series: Cousins' War (4)

(Via Audio) This book has one of the most terrifying and intense childbirth scenes I've ever read, perhaps made all the more intense by the knowledge that it is grounded in at least a kernel of fact. The narration of it was superb.

You can read this just for historical fiction fun, but what I find so amazing in it is what this author is doing as a whole: telling the intense sorry of this cousin's war from the multiple pov (one pov per book) of the women involved. Once again, she breaks ground for women in political historical fiction. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
The War of Roses, what a mess, what a bunch of power hungry backstabbing maniacs. What a time (I would sure not have liked to live then), and a time that is fascinating to read about.

This book is about Anne Neville, daughter of the Warwick the Kingmaker. Anne who was married to the not so successful Lancaster Prince Edward and later to Richard of York. Always a pawn in the hands of men.

I did like her at first, she has a brain, she thought about things, but the later part of the book started to change that. She was paranoid, she never used her head, she believed everything told to her, she never questioned things, she was always scared, she was a grey little mouse, a sour cow, and the b word too. I kind of lost respect for her there at the end. Always with the constant we hate the Rivers. She was cold. At least she felt like this to me. And she was naive too. But hey, then I always hated the Nevilles. Do not ask me why. But even if I disliked her at the end it sure did not take away the pleasure of reading a good novel.

Richard I liked, he was portrayed as honorable (for the most part). Sure he had his hidden agendas but hey who has not.

I can read a lot of books about the same time it seems, I never get tired. Because every time it is through the eyes of someone new, a new perspective. And here, oh it just shows what backstabbers everyone was, Warvick, the York boys. It was never enough for any of them, always more more more. Some issues for sure.

A turbulent time viewed by a woman, not always at the center of things, but always behind the men who were.

A great tale from Gregory and I look forward to her next book which will be about Princess Elizabeth of York. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory - good

I've always liked historical fiction (in my teens I devoured Jean Plaidy books) and I like Philippa Gregory. She researches her subject in detail and then builds up a story around the facts. Of course, it is fiction, but....

I have to admit to being a little varied in my feelings on her Cousins' War books. Whilst I have no problem with her characters believing that someone was practising witchcraft, I don't like the idea that the characters themselves believed they could do so. This means that I didn't particularly like The White Queen, and haven't managed to start The Lady of the Rivers yet. I did, however, like The Red Queen and I especially liked this book.

Anne Neville (the Kingmaker's Daughter in question) is someone I knew very little about other than her existence. What the author achieves here (and with the other books in the series) is show us the events from differing viewpoints: York, Lancaster and Warwick: a family who tried to manipulate the succession, changing sides to suit and to advance their own fortunes.

All very interesting. I already have The Lady of the Rivers and The White Princess, I shall certainly read the latter pretty soon and will continue to debate reading the former. The beauty of it being the same story from different pov's means it really doesn't matter too much if I skip it or read it out of order. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
The fourth book in the Cousin's War series follows Anne Neville, daughter of Yorkist Richard Neville, Earl of Warrick known as the “Kingmaker” for his making and unmaking of England's kings during the War of the Roses. The story begins in 1465 with Anne, her sister Isabel, and their parents in attendance at the court of Edward IV and his queen, Elizabeth Woodville. Anne finds herself fascinated with Elizabeth, in spite of the fact that she is disliked by many. Considered an upstart, she is a widow and the first commoner to marry a King of England. At the time, Anne has no idea how great a role she will play in her life.

Anne has been promised to Richard of Gloucester, a younger brother of King Edward IV, but when her father turns against the King, she is married off to Edward, Prince of Wales of the House of Lancaster. That will soon end in her being widowed and abandoned by her family. Dramatically saved by Richard of Gloucester, they fall in love and marry in what is an unusual love story for the time.

I admit that I love Richard III and my favorite historical fiction book is “The Sunne in Splendour” by Sharon Kay Penman. This book also reveals an unusual view of the man who later becomes Richard III through the eyes of his loyal wife and depicts him in a softer light as he is caught between his two brothers and their competing interests. It is more fascinating if you have read The White Queen as it paints a different picture of Elizabeth Woodville and her influence on Edward IV. The Kingmaker's Daughter is a fascinating account of political intrigue in England during the War of the Roses. It's both tragic and spellbinding.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Lately, it seems like Philippa GregoryÛªs books have been hit or miss for me recently. This book was definitely a miss for me in the Cousins‰Ûª Wars series.

I have to say, I did not enjoy her interpretation of Anne Neville. I prefer other authors‰Ûª interpretations of Anne, where she is more endearing, loving, and kind. But here she is petty, ambitious and holds a grudge for like forever. OK, mind you Anne isn‰Ûªt even remotely as ambitious as Margaret Beaufort or Elizabeth Woodville, but her ambitions were totally misplaced and instilled in her through her reckless family, who aren‰Ûªt even that great to be named ‰ÛÏkingmakers‰Û. It is totally understandable that you would hold a grudge over someone else for having a hand in the death of a beloved family member(s), but come on to accuse Elizabeth Woodville of poison repeatedly throughout the story gets repetitive and are often thrown out without any solid basis. Honestly, that part of Elizabeth involving poison and witchcraft is open for interpretation and are most likely slander due to her sudden rise to prominence and greed. And how Anne constantly mentions Elizabeth (OK if you kind of ignore the whole revenge part), it just seems like Anne is intensely jealous of everything about her (clothing, children, family, and being Queen of England), like *sigh* where have we heard that before and how did she luck out in being part of a family that was famously part of the War of the Roses? As for holding a grudge, she wasn‰Ûªt really the target of malice, it‰Ûªs mostly her father who‰Ûªs the target, plus what she considers to be a grudge is like nothing compared to the rest of the other key players in the War.

I know historical fictions are totally open to interpretation by the authors but there were times this interpretation took it too far. Seriously, the chapters are short and doesn‰Ûªt really focus too much about the ongoings of the Cousins‰Ûª War at times. The feeling I get is the Warwicks/Nevilles are total usurpers themselves too, who try to justify the their cause with a puppet king. Ugh, I don‰Ûªt know how the entire family think they deserve to look down on people, just because they are ‰Û÷kingmakers‰Ûª and are remotely royal (like seriously who isn‰Ûªt given how many children some royals have).

Also, there was absolutely no passion or love match between Anne and Richard. They are like a coupon in a loveless and somewhat cold marriage that was only done to benefit the other party in some way (Anne in escaping her sister and brother-in-law‰Ûªs greedy grasps and Richard in gaining substantial land and money through Anne‰Ûªs inheritance).

Another thing that I hated. Cecily would never go around telling random people (even if Anne is family) that Edward and Elizabeth‰Ûªs marriage wasn‰Ûªt valid, hence the children were bastards. Like, she would be much more discreet, regardless of how much she doesn‰Ûªt like Elizabeth. And besides it wasn‰Ûªt until just before George‰Ûªs ‰ÛÏdeath‰Û and Edward‰Ûªs passing that this ‰ÛÏrumour‰Û went around. This story only succeeds in establishing that Anne is a minor pawn who isn‰Ûªt that great of a player and had considerable luck to be so close to the throne time and time again. Like snooze alert! At least Elizabeth Tudor shows wit and charm whenever she ‰ÛÏlucks‰Û out.

Overall, this book was definitely a miss for me. My favourite in the Cousins‰Ûª War is definitely the Lady of the Rivers by far. Even The Red Queen and The White Queen are somewhat passable compared to The Kingmaker‰Ûªs Daughter. So Anne Neville, sadly, you can disappear into the history books thanks to this story. If you want to read a story about Anne Neville, I would recommend ‰ÛÏThe Reluctant Queen‰Û by Jean Plaidy, at least there you get to know Anne better without as much bias and hatred. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |

Gregory, PhilippaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cottenden, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Li, CherlynneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My lady mother goes first, a great heiress in her own right, and the wife of the greatest subject in the kingdom.

Spies, poison, and curses surround her…. Is there anyone she can trust?

In The Kingmaker’s Daughter, #1 New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory presents a novel of conspiracy and a fight to the death for love and power at the court of Edward IV of England.

The Kingmaker’s Daughter is the gripping story of the daughters of the man known as the “Kingmaker,” Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick: the most powerful magnate in fifteenth-century England. Without a son and heir, he uses his daughters Anne and Isabel as pawns in his political games, and they grow up to be influential players in their own right. In this novel, her first sister story since The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory explores the lives of two fascinating young women.

At the court of Edward IV and his beautiful queen, Elizabeth Woodville, Anne grows from a delightful child to become ever more fearful and desperate when her father makes war on his former friends. Married at age fourteen, she is soon left widowed and fatherless, her mother in sanctuary and her sister married to the enemy. Anne manages her own escape by marrying Richard, Duke of Gloucester, but her choice will set her on a collision course with the overwhelming power of the royal family and will cost the lives of those she loves most in the world, including her precious only son, Prince Edward. Ultimately, the kingmaker’s daughter will achieve her father’s greatest ambition.

"Kingmaker" Richard, Earl of Warwick, uses his daughters as political pawns before their strategic marriages place them on opposing sides in a royal war that will cost them everyone they love.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,718,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible