The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory

The Kingmaker's Daughter

by Philippa Gregory

This book was very intriguing like all of Philippa's books. It's nice to see events from the perspective of another major player Anne Neville. I will admit that I do favor Queen Elizabeth Woodville and wanted to shake Anne and Isabel several times throughout the novel. I have sympathy for Anne though as at the time I'm sure she didn't know any better. It was interesting to see Richard from the perspective of Anne. In the previous two books you feel as though he is evil for taking over the throne, but in The Kingmaker's Daughter you see he was influenced into it. Overall a great novel. ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |
“The Kingmaker’s Daughter” is a wonderful historical fiction story of the struggles between the Houses of York and Lancaster for the English throne, known as the Wars of the Roses.

Read the rest of my review on my blog "Should I Read it or Not?": http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/02/01/the-kingmakers-daughter-phili... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Loved this book as well as the story between Anne and Richard. I also like the exploration that the Duke of Buckingham or Margaret Beaufort could have had the Princes in the Tower killed. I don't think Anne and Richard would have been able to raise the Princes as their heirs as they would have been a focal point for potential "kingmakers". Cecily Neville, the York brothers' mother sure didn't help her House's cause by favoring George above her eldest. I'll be waiting for Philippa Gregory's next book, The White Princess ( )
  lisa.schureman | Sep 20, 2014 |
Lately, it seems like Philippa Gregory’s books have been hit or miss for me recently. This book was definitely a miss for me in the Cousins’ Wars series.

I have to say, I did not enjoy her interpretation of Anne Neville. I prefer other authors’ interpretations of Anne, where she is more endearing, loving, and kind. But here she is petty, ambitious and holds a grudge for like forever. OK, mind you Anne isn’t even remotely as ambitious as Margaret Beaufort or Elizabeth Woodville, but her ambitions were totally misplaced and instilled in her through her reckless family, who aren’t even that great to be named “kingmakers”. It is totally understandable that you would hold a grudge over someone else for having a hand in the death of a beloved family member(s), but come on to accuse Elizabeth Woodville of poison repeatedly throughout the story gets repetitive and are often thrown out without any solid basis. Honestly, that part of Elizabeth involving poison and witchcraft is open for interpretation and are most likely slander due to her sudden rise to prominence and greed. And how Anne constantly mentions Elizabeth (OK if you kind of ignore the whole revenge part), it just seems like Anne is intensely jealous of everything about her (clothing, children, family, and being Queen of England), like *sigh* where have we heard that before and how did she luck out in being part of a family that was famously part of the War of the Roses? As for holding a grudge, she wasn’t really the target of malice, it’s mostly her father who’s the target, plus what she considers to be a grudge is like nothing compared to the rest of the other key players in the War.

I know historical fictions are totally open to interpretation by the authors but there were times this interpretation took it too far. Seriously, the chapters are short and doesn’t really focus too much about the ongoings of the Cousins’ War at times. The feeling I get is the Warwicks/Nevilles are total usurpers themselves too, who try to justify the their cause with a puppet king. Ugh, I don’t know how the entire family think they deserve to look down on people, just because they are ‘kingmakers’ and are remotely royal (like seriously who isn’t given how many children some royals have).

Also, there was absolutely no passion or love match between Anne and Richard. They are like a coupon in a loveless and somewhat cold marriage that was only done to benefit the other party in some way (Anne in escaping her sister and brother-in-law’s greedy grasps and Richard in gaining substantial land and money through Anne’s inheritance).

Another thing that I hated. Cecily would never go around telling random people (even if Anne is family) that Edward and Elizabeth’s marriage wasn’t valid, hence the children were bastards. Like, she would be much more discreet, regardless of how much she doesn’t like Elizabeth. And besides it wasn’t until just before George’s “death” and Edward’s passing that this “rumour” went around. This story only succeeds in establishing that Anne is a minor pawn who isn’t that great of a player and had considerable luck to be so close to the throne time and time again. Like snooze alert! At least Elizabeth Tudor shows wit and charm whenever she “lucks” out.

Overall, this book was definitely a miss for me. My favourite in the Cousins’ War is definitely the Lady of the Rivers by far. Even The Red Queen and The White Queen are somewhat passable compared to The Kingmaker’s Daughter. So Anne Neville, sadly, you can disappear into the history books thanks to this story. If you want to read a story about Anne Neville, I would recommend “The Reluctant Queen” by Jean Plaidy, at least there you get to know Anne better without as much bias and hatred. ( )
  Dream24 | Aug 21, 2014 |
It was very odd to read this story from Anne's point of view. Pretty sad all of the way through, and honestly I was feeling very heart broken at the end for every side. Philippa described a tragic story in a beautiful, interesting to read way. ( )
  meggarrett0609 | Aug 6, 2014 |
My lady mother goes first, a great heiress in her own right, and the wife of the greatest subject in the kingdom.

Spies, poison, and curses surround her…. Is there anyone she can trust?

In The Kingmaker’s Daughter, #1 New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory presents a novel of conspiracy and a fight to the death for love and power at the court of Edward IV of England.

The Kingmaker’s Daughter is the gripping story of the daughters of the man known as the “Kingmaker,” Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick: the most powerful magnate in fifteenth-century England. Without a son and heir, he uses his daughters Anne and Isabel as pawns in his political games, and they grow up to be influential players in their own right. In this novel, her first sister story since The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory explores the lives of two fascinating young women.

At the court of Edward IV and his beautiful queen, Elizabeth Woodville, Anne grows from a delightful child to become ever more fearful and desperate when her father makes war on his former friends. Married at age fourteen, she is soon left widowed and fatherless, her mother in sanctuary and her sister married to the enemy. Anne manages her own escape by marrying Richard, Duke of Gloucester, but her choice will set her on a collision course with the overwhelming power of the royal family and will cost the lives of those she loves most in the world, including her precious only son, Prince Edward. Ultimately, the kingmaker’s daughter will achieve her father’s greatest ambition.

"Kingmaker" Richard, Earl of Warwick, uses his daughters as political pawns before their strategic marriages place them on opposing sides in a royal war that will cost them everyone they love.

647 wanted2 pay3 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,339,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible