Every Day by David Levithan

Every Day

by David Levithan

2,1241983,086 (4.01)49
Recently added byphoibee, zuzene, angeldi75, strandedon8jo, JessC123, private library, AmyBreiter, jason29171, DPEMS
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (brnoze)
    brnoze: Both books give a realistic look into the lives of smart, carefully constructed characters.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (KatyBee)
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (TomWaitsTables)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intense novels, both deeply emotional and empathetic, grapple with the concepts of identity and internal experience -- and in both books, the main characters are similarly trapped within their own minds, unable to fully share themselves with others.… (more)
    George by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    Fade by Robert Cormier (Othemts)
    The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although each of these thought-provoking, emotional reads requires substantial suspension of disbelief, both will entrance fans of character-centered fiction that explores complex philosophical ideas. Both books also employ somewhat experimental writing devices that should intrigue literary types.… (more)
    Fair Coin by E. C. Myers (TomWaitsTables)

English (194)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All (198)

Amazingly interesting work.

Read the back for a summary.

My first reaction was complete love with the work and with A's life. By midway through, I was annoyed with A. He was selfishly hurting others and R. Eventually, as in all good young adult novels, he figured out what to do.

The best part of the book? All the different lives!! All the different teenagers! A mean girl, transgender girl, a loser boyfriend, a sheltered homeschooled kid, two burly football players, gay kids, straight kids, depressed kids, perfect kids, and hurting kids.

A redeemed himself (?) by the end. Interesting. ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
I got this as an ARC was ecstatic to get to be one of the first to read it. What an amazing concept! I was hooked all the way through. I so hope their will be a sequel. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Let's just say, that when people ask me what my favourite book is, my thoughts often land on this beautiful gem of a book.
This book is all about perspective, and what got me the most about this book was how unique it was, and how much of a beautiful person A is, how much they really understand the world.
This book is a beautiful tale that is the exact definition of what love should be. Boundless, not based on appearance at all, when you love someone so much that you want them to be free. I will never stop being absolutely in love with this book, and it will forever be my favourite.
This is the book I had to put down multiple times, but not for the reasons you might expect.
I had to put it down so often because I had to keep pausing for a moment and really think about what this book was telling me
This book didn't just touch my soul, it wrapped itself around my soul and never let go.
Please read this book, if you haven't already, and I promise that you won't regret it.
Also, side note, this is probably the book with the most beautiful quotes you could ever find in one place.

“If you stare at the center of the universe, there is coldness there. A blankness. Ultimately, the universe doesn't care about us. Time doesn't care about us. That's why we have to care about each other.” ( )
  QuazzyDucks | Feb 12, 2017 |
This is such a fantastic book. I don't know what I can say about it. I had high hopes about it since I read a review on a book blog I follow on Wordpress, and it didn't fail to disappoint. The way Levithan writes is so amazing, and the story is unbelievable. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |

Originally posted here

The premise of Every Day is fascinating in theory. The story follows 'A', a person who has not been in the same body for more than twenty-four hours since birth. A starts every morning getting used to a different body and a different life. A can be a girl or a boy and as far as I can tell doesn't have a fixed gender identity and is pan-sexual. One morning, A wakes up in Justin's body and promptly falls into insta-love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon, and the majority of the book looks at what love is and if love can survive when a person's gender and appearance changes daily. Spoiler alert. It can't obviously.

I had high hopes for Every Day, I was expecting something a lot deeper then what it actually was. There is almost no backstory or explanation to A's peculiar existence and that just infuriated me because I was holding out for a big reveal that just never came. Suspension of disbelief is absolutely critical in reading this book as it just makes no sense otherwise. A only inhabits bodies who are of the same age but seem to live in a localised area in the U.S. which I don't understand. Surely it would be random and A would switch into bodies from all over the world, that would have been infinitely more interesting IMO.

Sadly the insta-love was just annoying and I never understood what was so special about Rhiannon. They had no shared interests that I could recall and I just didn't get it. There is a whole side story about one of the teenagers A has inhabited that has remembered what happened and is calling it possession but that story-line didn't really go anywhere. Ugh I just really was not impressed with this book and I can't say I would recommend it.

In summary, not my cup of tea. ( )
  4everfanatical | Jan 20, 2017 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,784,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible