Every Day by David Levithan

Every Day

by David Levithan

1,1261307,247 (4)35
2012 (21) 2013 (23) ARC (18) body swap (10) ebook (18) fantasy (61) fiction (83) friendship (8) gender (15) high school (24) identity (54) Kindle (8) LGBTQ (16) love (52) love story (12) magical realism (15) read (8) read in 2012 (10) read in 2013 (13) relationships (35) romance (73) science fiction (50) sexuality (9) speculative fiction (9) teen (26) to-read (93) wishlist (12) YA (100) young adult (89) young adult fiction (14)

English (129)  Swedish (1)  All languages (130)
Every day, A wakes up in the body of someone else and he has been this way his entire life. A has never been able to take anything with him from one body to the next and has never really wanted to--until he falls in love with Rhiannon, the beautiful and unappreciated girlfriend of a body A is in. Suddenly, A will do anything to get back to Rhiannon, time and again, in whichever body he's in. "Every Day" was an amazing novel. The concept in and of itself is unique, but Levithan's handling of societal ideas like gender and sexual identity is truly brilliant. I highly recommend this novel. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 2, 2014 |
I don't really know where to start with this review. This story is.... interesting? I think that the concept is novel but the execution borders on being creepy. It's like the invasion of the body snatchers. The other problem I had was that there was no resolution to A's problem with the man who figured out who he was. There was no answer as to what he was at all, or whether there were, and how many, others like A. I would have liked to see some kind of resolution, but perhaps there will be a sequel to answer some of these questions. ( )
  alb2219 | Mar 12, 2014 |
Alex McKenna's voice is grainy, but not in a bad way. A's and Rhiannon's voices are distinct, as are other characters' (Nathan's, for instance).

This is a thoughtful, thought-provoking book that will make the reader question some deeply held assumptions about gender. It's also inventive, interesting, and romantic.

EVERY DAY has one of those "leaves you wondering" endings; it's not exactly unresolved, but it's not tied up with a bow either. ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 4, 2014 |
the story is badddd !
do you know what bad means ?
there's no goal for this book , only an idea
A is changing every single day he is a new one ! maybe it'll make the 1# in cinema if it's been make as a movie .. ( )
  Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |
First I want to say that I absolutely *loved* this book. I was a little iffy at first about something written in first person since those can be kind of hit-or-miss, but in this case it worked incredibly well. With a protagonist who switches bodies on a daily basis, third person narration would have just made for unnecessary confusion. With a character who essentially only exists as thought, getting inside A's head in first person felt right.

This book was recommended by a close friend who knows well the types of books I enjoy and she was correct in guessing that I'd love this one! I love when books have a LGBTQ spin to them and when that's combined with an interesting fantastical premise, I'm sold. I found the protagonist to be charming and sympathetic- heck, I just plain enjoyed reading a story told from A's point of view. The story is thought-provoking and emotional. I'm not always a big fan of love stories, but I found this one enjoyable and genuine. Yes, A fell in love quickly, but it didn't feel forced or creepy or anything like that. It just felt like a teenager falling in love. (How fast the relationship started is something I've seen people comment about in other reviews.) I'm finding it hard to put into words what I liked about this book since it managed to pull at my heart in all the right ways. I think I'm too infatuated to be coherent.

I actually spent the first twenty pages or so wondering if I was going to like it or not, largely because the style was rather more poetic then I'm used to reading and I came into it a little leery of first person narration. I'm glad that I stuck with it because once I got into the story the rest of the book was amazing! I finished it in less than two days (rare for me when I normally get distracted by other books and hobbies so it take much longer than this to finish a book despite being a fast reader) because I kept saying to myself "just another chapter, then I'll put the book down". The next chapter would come and go and I'd keep reading because I wanted to find out what life A would end up in next.

The only thing I can say about this book that is anything less than positive is that the ending felt somewhat rushed or unfinished and I will admit that it left me just a little disappointed. (Although that could be because I didn't want the book to end!) When I talked to the friend who recommended it to me, she told me that the author is going to be writing a sequel. In that case, I don't mind the ending nearly as much and I will gladly read this as soon as it comes out. (2015? That's too long from now!) The subplots could have been fleshed out a little better, but overall, this was a great read.

I'm giving this book 4 1/2 stars. It's not quite at five because there were a few flaws, but the great outshines the few flaws in this book. I'll definitely be reading more by this author. ( )
  merigreenleaf | Feb 27, 2014 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

229 wanted5 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,555,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible