Every Day by David Levithan

Every Day

by David Levithan

2012 (21) 2013 (25) ARC (18) body swap (11) ebook (19) fantasy (62) fiction (87) friendship (8) gender (16) high school (25) identity (59) LGBTQ (18) love (58) love story (12) magical realism (19) read (11) read in 2012 (10) read in 2013 (15) relationships (37) romance (79) science fiction (54) sexuality (9) speculative fiction (9) teen (28) teen fiction (8) to-read (108) wishlist (12) YA (102) young adult (93) young adult fiction (14)

English (136)  Swedish (1)  All languages (137)
I loved this book. It seems to me that authors often use similar personalities for multiple characters because its easier to create a lot of them that way. David Levithan did not do this at all, for that I am grateful. Although the main character, A, kept the same personality no matter what body he was in, every body he inhabited had a clear and distinct personality. It amazed me how well this was done and I enjoyed watching A struggle to not lose himself/herself/itself(?) to the personalities of those people. A's story was quite sad why couldn't it/she/he have a happy ending?! I really wish more about A could have been revealed, the story intrigued me so much and I was incredibly sad to see it go. ( )
  ChickensAreBrave | Jul 6, 2014 |
Told from the viewpoint of A, a gender nonspecific soul or entity that lives in another body every day, David Levithan unfolds a tale that proves how vital memories to existence, the ways in which uncertainty and constant fluidity can affect the psyche, and the complexity of human relationships. The book is well written, simple to follow, and truly causes the reader to question the importance we place upon arbitrary events and ideas each day. I cannot find words that can truly describes the depth of human emotion that this book portrays and brings out in the reader.

If you would like a longer review or other reviews, check out: www.mylifeinverse.com ( )
  mylifeinverse | Jul 4, 2014 |
  ChickensAreBrave | Jul 1, 2014 |

Actually, the worst thing about this book is that it's going to be a series. I'd say quit while you're ahead.

Reason being, this sweet little young adult novel does not need a follow-up. It contains itself nicely, and has a nearly-perfect ending, bringing all the story elements together into one thoughtful scene. The only thing I can think the author intends with another set of volumes is turning it into a creepier sci-fi thriller type of series - still for young adults (or whatever we are calling them these days), but not a romance.

Because the "reverend" is the only unresolved character among them all by the time you finish the volume. "A" inhabits one body per day, always moving on to another body, hoping not to impair or even affect the person during that day. Since "A" comes into contact with a variety of people, the book explores gender and personalities more than anything else, giving extra weight to being thoughtful, caring, loving - the usual themes of this kind of teen book.

You wouldn't want the next book to push the same themes, so I can only expect that it's going to try to mess with "A"'s usual rhythm. I think I'll wait and see what the critics think first. ( )
  khage | Jul 1, 2014 |
(⌇ຶД⌇ຶ) Wow. Just WOW. It's beautiful. It's really a wonderful story. This will surely be on my to-read again and again and again. Simply, this is one of the best books I've ever read. ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

229 wanted5 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible