Every Day by David Levithan

Every Day

by David Levithan

1,4341555,244 ()39
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (brnoze)
    brnoze: Both books give a realistic look into the lives of smart, carefully constructed characters.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (KatyBee)
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (one-horse.library)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intense novels, both deeply emotional and empathetic, grapple with the concepts of identity and internal experience -- and in both books, the main characters are similarly trapped within their own minds, unable to fully share themselves with others.… (more)
    Fade by Robert Cormier (Othemts)
    The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although each of these thought-provoking, emotional reads requires substantial suspension of disbelief, both will entrance fans of character-centered fiction that explores complex philosophical ideas. Both books also employ somewhat experimental writing devices that should intrigue literary types.… (more)
    Fair Coin by E. C. Myers (one-horse.library)

English (154)  Swedish (1)  All languages (155)
What would it be like to wake up in a new and different body each day, occupying someone else's life for exactly 24 hours before starting all over again the next day? This is the story of "A," who has never had a body of his/her own and therefore has no innate gender. It is a challenge each morning to discover who and where he/she is and attempt to seamlessly play the part of the hijacked individual without causing suspicion or, worse, disruption. As one might expect, A intentionally avoids getting emotionally attached or entangled to family or friends -- after all, the next day the cast of characters will be completely different. Until one day...

I appreciated the novel concept of this book and had a hard time putting it down. I enjoyed mentally philosophizing about the protagonist's lack of gender in a world where the first thing we demand to know about a newborn is whether it's female or male. I wondered continuously throughout how the author could possibly achieve the impossible task of delivering a satisfying ending to so hopeless-seeming a situation, but at the same time hoped he actually could pull it off. Alas, despite the brilliance of the body of the tale, I was disappointed and unsatisfied upon reading the last page, and left uttering an unimpressed, "Huh." ( )
  ryner | Feb 2, 2015 |
A is a human without a body, who switches to a different body every day, experiencing for that one day what it is like to be that person, living that life, engaging with that person's friends, family, and girlfriend or boyfriend. With each new day A's goal is to disrupt the new body's life as little as possible, until the day A falls in love, struggling to find a way to make it work while still trying to follow his/her (A does not identify with either gender, equally comfortable as either boy or girl) moral code. The narrator does a great job of modulating her voice to fit either gender, while keeping A's voice gender neutral. The "day in the life" descriptions of so many very different teens (A is now sixteen and only inhabits bodies the same age) - homosexual, heterosexual, transgender, obese, drug addicted, suffering from depression, or just down right mean, the list goes on - is fascinating, as is the thought of trying to deal with a life of impermanence and constant change. Do we truly love for what is on the inside, or does physical appearance matter more than we would want to admit? I think this would be a great book club choice, hopefully inspiring some really interesting discussions! ( )
  michellebarton | Jan 10, 2015 |
What if you woke up in a different body every day of your life? That’s what is happening to “A”- waking up in a strange house, in a new city, in a boy’s or girl’s body. Would you try to change the life you were borrowing and try to create a life of your own every single day? Author David Levithan challenges young adult readers to consider the meaning of love and gender as "A" navigates the unique difficulties of being in love with a girl while changing from a young gay male, to a suicidal goth chick, to a "Beyoncé" look-alike, and more. The object of "A's" affection, Rhiannon, struggles with the previously unconsidered concept of loving a different person every day. Can her developing love for "A" surmount the daily parade of "A's" changing outward appearance- is her attraction more dependent on the person inside. Levithan's compelling text opens the doors for an honest discussion about what it means to love someone for who they are. ( )
  MzzColby | Jan 3, 2015 |
A highly compelling concept and some beautiful observations of life and human interaction, with a fascinating exploration of what really defines us. But also some things that did not work for me, notably the depiction of the one fat character ["his size comes from negligence and laziness"] and the ending.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
What an intriguing book - very unique and thought-provoking. This would have been 5 stars, but I don't like books that end abruptly just to lead into a forthcoming sequel. That said, this book had me thinking more than any other recent book.

I won't detail the plot/story, as so many others have done this. But here are some of my ponderances... What would your life look like if someone dropped into your body for a day? What does it mean to be male or female? How would it feel to suddenly be a different person in a different culture? religion? social status? Would this change our firmly held beliefs? How much impact can each of us have in a single day? And more...

Also, the audio book was expertly read by Alex McKenna... While I hate waiting, I'll read/listen to the sequel whenever... ( )
  asawyer | Dec 31, 2014 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

229 wanted7 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,686,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible