Every Day by David Levithan

Every Day

by David Levithan

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (brnoze)
    brnoze: Both books give a realistic look into the lives of smart, carefully constructed characters.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (KatyBee)
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (TomWaitsTables)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intense novels, both deeply emotional and empathetic, grapple with the concepts of identity and internal experience -- and in both books, the main characters are similarly trapped within their own minds, unable to fully share themselves with others.… (more)
    Fade by Robert Cormier (Othemts)
    The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although each of these thought-provoking, emotional reads requires substantial suspension of disbelief, both will entrance fans of character-centered fiction that explores complex philosophical ideas. Both books also employ somewhat experimental writing devices that should intrigue literary types.… (more)
    Fair Coin by E. C. Myers (TomWaitsTables)

English (166)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (168)
Every Day the main character of this book wakes up in a new body and lives as this person as a day. In one particular body, he meets a girl and falls in love and tries to find a way for them to be together even though the main character will never be in the same body but is the same spirit. The author flawlessly creates a world where the body snatching occurs and it makes the reader feel like it could actually happen. Throughout the book you are antsy to find out if the main character and the girl he falls in love with can be together. I highly recommend this to anyone older than fourteen. ( )
  nickycook7 | Jul 21, 2015 |
SciFi, identity, gender, love
  Jquimbey | Jul 11, 2015 |
Special features:
*Diverse topics including depression, popularity, loneliness, homosexuality, love, etc
*Short, quick chapters

How I might use this book:
*Good for reluctant readers
*Good for at risk, minority group students
*Introduce format/writing style as a prompt for writing assignment ( )
  tawnyao | Jul 7, 2015 |
"A" wakes up every day in a new sixteen-year-old body. A is not a girl or a boy (though it was very much like a boy in my imagination, so I will use "he" to help with the description). A doesn't know who he is or where he came from. Taking cues from memory and context every day, A goes through a day in the life of whoever he has "possessed" and tries not to disturb the actual life that he's in. One day, A wakes up as Justin. Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon, is mesmerizing to A, so much so that A falls in love. A spends every day trying to see Rhiannon, traveling from whatever town in whatever body he happens to be in that day. But Rhiannon doesn't see how a life with A could happen. Never knowing when she would see him again, never being able to fall asleep and wake up next to A the next day. A has to figure out a way to convince her that it will work, or face the fact that he will have to give up and move on.

As you can tell, the premise is slightly confusing, but it is interesting to go through the lives of people all the same age, all with such different problems and quirks. A wakes up in the body of a drug addict and spends the day going through withdrawals. Another day, A wakes up as a severely obese boy who can barely walk to the bathroom without wheezing. While I could poke holes in this story in many places, I tried to just let it go and enjoy. It was a very interesting concept and I found it especially interesting to read A's 6 other days from earlier in his life. It was nice to be able to see what A saw before he met Rhiannon. I think the ending was a bit abrupt, so I am looking forward to the next one. Overall good, an easy read, but not great.

I'm looking forward to the sequel, Another Day, which is being released on July 30, 2015. ( )
  Ellie.Pelto | Jul 7, 2015 |
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult; Contemporary; Fantasy
Love Triangle/Insta Love?: Insta love, but it's cute!
Cliff Hanger: Slight.

Writing: 8

Total: 8.5

In Depth

Best Part:
The love A has for Rhiannon!!
Worst Part: the sheer fact that they can't be together!!!
Overall Feels Felt: Oh snap; I'm 60% sure i read this awhile ago; Just be together already please!!!!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes!!!!
Misc.:

Short Review: I loved this book! By far one of my favs of 2015!! Though i'm pretty sure i read it around the time it was first published, but idc, it's so good!! i so badly just want everyone to be happy and i will not wait nicely for book 2!!!

Review In GIF Form

but they want to kiss, but they wont!!!!
  booklife4life | Jul 3, 2015 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

475 wanted7 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,380,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible