The Future of Us by Jay Asher

The Future of Us

by Jay Asher (Author), Carolyn Mackler (Author)

1,0191528,334 (3.48)32

English (158)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (160)
It's 1996 and long time next door neighbors and best friends, Emma and Josh, hit a snag in their relationship when an awkward romantic overture gets rebuffed. Then Emma receives a computer and Josh offers her an AOL cd-rom that takes them online and onto some website called Facebook where oddly enough, they find profiles of themselves. Odder still, their profiles are 15 years in the future. Through status updates and photos, Facebook reveals a future life that delights Josh while Emma is not so pleased at where her life seems to be headed. Discovering that actions and even thoughts have power over her future life, Emma begins obsessively checking her updates in the hope of a better outcome. Along the way, her actions affect Josh and their friends, presently and in the future, as Emma and Josh grapple with the conundrum of how much information is too much. A quick enjoyable read told in alternating voices, this is suitable for middle schoolers and up. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
Narrated by Emma and Josh in alternating chapters, "The Future of Us" is set in the late 1990s before Facebook. Although this is a YA book, I'm not sure if it will appeal to modern teens who probably cannot fathom a life without social networks. While I didn't mind the cultural references to the '90s, I found the voices of the two main characters whiny and irritating. The premise for this books was good but it didn't deliver. For most teenagers this will be a boring read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
I thought the blurb on the book sounded like a really good plot. However, in practice I didn't really like the book that well. I don't know exactly what I didn't like maybe it was just that I didn't like the main characters. I found the book kind of annoying and full of whining. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
What an amazing book. Two teens discover facebook 15 years ago. They keep checking it and seeing how their decisions affect their future selves, but I will fully admit that while I was definitely intrigued and kept interested by following Josh and Emma for me this book was all about the nostalgia, which makes me wonder if it's more for people my age then today's teens, particularly since children of the nineties do have a reputation as nostalgia lovers. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Asher, JayAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mackler, CarolynAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
In 1996 less than half of all American high school students had ever used the Internet.
Facebook would not be invented until several years in the future.
Emma & Josh are about to log on to their futures.
Jonas, Miles, and Leif Rideout
JoanMarie and Isaiah Asher
Our past, present, and future
I can't break up with Graham today, even though I told my friends I'd do it the next time I saw him.
    Josh Templeton
    Helped my son put together a model of the solar system today.
    May 8 at 10:26pm * Like * Comment
         Terry Fernandez We did that last year. Made me feel nostalgic for Pluto. That was always my favorite
         planet.
         May 9 at 8:07am * Like
         Josh Templeton Poor Pluto! :-(
         May 9 at 9:13am * Like

I flinch. "What the hell happens to Pluto?"

Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.

Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on — and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.

Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be.
Josh and Emma are about to find out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long — up until last November, when everything changed. Things have been awkward ever since, but when Josh's family gets an America Online CD-ROM in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto Facebook... but Facebook hasn't been invented yet.

Josh and Emma are looking at their profiles fifteen years in the future. Their spouses, careers, homes, and status updates — it's all there. But it's not what they expected. And every time they refresh their pages, their futures change. As they grapple with the ups and downs of what their lives hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right — and wrong — in the present.

It's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet. Emma just got her first computer and Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future. Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Future of Us by Jay Asher was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,253,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible