The Future of Us by Jay Asher

The Future of Us

by Jay Asher (Author), Carolyn Mackler (Author)

English (152)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (154)
I love Jay Asher and The Future of Us did not disappoint. The Future of Us offers two different views on how being able to know your future can affect you. Years from now will you be living up to the life you dreamed of having? Or will your life be a falling apart? It really makes you think about how each decision you make today might influence your life years from now. The two POV of Emma and Josh are so different that everyone can relate to either Emma or Josh or maybe even both. ( )
  aliceinoblivion | Jun 27, 2015 |
I love the idea of the story.

The big questions are, If you could know your future would you want to? And also, If you didn't like what you saw would you try and change it?
I think it is really interesting to see our 2 main characters deal with their discovery of Facebook completely differently. I like how the authors use the narration switches to show off how they react.

**spoiler**I like how we get to see Emma really struggle with her future. Yet Josh is way more accepting. It makes you wonder if the only reason he was more accepting is because he was happy. ***spoiler***

The one thing I didn't like was Emma's personality. She acted too immature to handle the power she was given. I feel like she was realistic but just so whiny about all of her relationships.

*****spoiler*****Also what about Kellan's pregnancy? Or what about Josh's brother being gay?****spoiler****

The book leaves you wondering which character you would act more like ( )
  baileymm | May 31, 2015 |
It's 1996, you're sitting in front of your brand new computer and have just received 100 free hours online from AOL. You log on to find yourself on your Facebook page 15 years in the future and realize that every little action you do during the day changes your Facebook update feed and how you are in the future. What do you do? That's what Emma and Josh are about to find out, being faced with this very problem.

A quick and enjoyable read that brings back memories of what it was like growing up in the 90's (AOL, Green Day, etc...). Also quite interesting insight on how we would have reacted back then to people being so open on the web, as they are today. The story is written from both Emma and Josh's points of view which is interesting as you get to see both sides of the story. I definitely recommend this book. ( )
  Marie113 | Mar 31, 2015 |
The Future of Us is a fun and entertaining read. There are many students who can relate to the relationships in the book and the way the characters try to control every aspect of their lives.
This would be a good book for high school students that enjoy YA literature. There are some questionable sexual moments that some parents would object to. ( )
  LFerda | Mar 19, 2015 |
Like most other readers who picked up this book I only bought it because of the profound effect that 'Thirteen Reasons Why' had on me. I have been waiting for Mr. Asher to write another novel and I was so happy when this one came out. It did not live up to his previous book, I think only because nothing can or may ever will. Also, it could be because this isn't an "issues" book. Take it as you will.

I enjoyed this one, it was s light read and moved at a reasonably fast pace. I got annoyed with Emma a lot because she acted so childish through most of the book. I just really didn't like her, it almost made me stop reading. Josh, however, I did enjoy, I wish that Emma would have gotten herself together sooner.

Yes, this is a YA book, yes, they are teenagers. I just think Emma took that to a whole new level of annoyance. Other than my dislike for her, I enjoyed the book and continue to be a fan. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |

Asher, JayAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mackler, CarolynAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
In 1996 less than half of all American high school students had ever used the Internet.
Facebook would not be invented until several years in the future.
Emma & Josh are about to log on to their futures.
Jonas, Miles, and Leif Rideout
JoanMarie and Isaiah Asher
Our past, present, and future
I can't break up with Graham today, even though I told my friends I'd do it the next time I saw him.
    Josh Templeton
    Helped my son put together a model of the solar system today.
    May 8 at 10:26pm * Like * Comment
         Terry Fernandez We did that last year. Made me feel nostalgic for Pluto. That was always my favorite
         planet.
         May 9 at 8:07am * Like
         Josh Templeton Poor Pluto! :-(
         May 9 at 9:13am * Like

I flinch. "What the hell happens to Pluto?"

Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.

Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on — and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.

Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be.
Josh and Emma are about to find out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long — up until last November, when everything changed. Things have been awkward ever since, but when Josh's family gets an America Online CD-ROM in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto Facebook... but Facebook hasn't been invented yet.

Josh and Emma are looking at their profiles fifteen years in the future. Their spouses, careers, homes, and status updates — it's all there. But it's not what they expected. And every time they refresh their pages, their futures change. As they grapple with the ups and downs of what their lives hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right — and wrong — in the present.

It's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet. Emma just got her first computer and Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future. Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Future of Us by Jay Asher was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,416,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible