The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and…

The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet

by Nina Teicholz

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It by Gary Taubes (melmore)
    melmore: Both books explore the same thesis, that mainstream dietary science has been hijacked by researchers with an agenda (low-fat, high-carb diets), and the results have been disastrous for Western society. Both works are painstakingly researched and show in great detail the ways in which scientific consensus can develop despite, rather than because of, empirical research.… (more)

Very well researched and reported. While it's arguable that much of what she covers is in Gary Tabues' "Why We Get Fat" and "Good Calories, Bad Calories", Teicholz goes deep, adding new information and nuance.

Nina Teicholz' book is already being recommended by health professionals. It's a "must read". ( )
  SiGraybeard | Jun 20, 2017 |
Well written and researched. A "fat" tome of information on nutrition and health. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
This book is a non-fiction thriller, if such a category exists. The detailed information flows so clearly that you can't wait to see what else Nina Teicholz will uncover from her 9-year journalistic venture into the world of science, nutrition, politics and mass belief. Teicholz painstakingly reviews the available studies that have been used to support the current (incorrect) thoughts on fat in diets and how they have incorrectly been propagated to the forefront nutritional popularity, including influencing the organizations defined as authorities for guidance (i.e. USDA). ( )
  Sovranty | May 14, 2015 |
This new book chronicles the author's 9-year research into the science behind the dietary advice Americans have been given for the last sixty years. After years of painstaking research, Teicholz came to the conclusion that the healthiest diet is the one we abandoned long ago, the one that allows lots of meat, butter, animal fats, and eggs. She's pretty convincing in her descriptions of how and why we have been told for decades to eat more plants and less fat and red meat to be healthy and why all those experts were wrong.

This isn't the first time I've read convincing material that agrees with her conclusion and I was already moving in the direction that her conclusions indicate. However, I'm even more committed now to concentrating on cutting back on sugars and starches, not animal fats, and getting more exercise. But I like veggies and fruits enough that there will still be a lot of them on my plate, just less added sugars and more eggs and butter!
  hailelib | Feb 8, 2015 |
The Big Fat Surprise is one of those life altering books that will stay with you long after you finished reading them. It makes you rethink everything you thought you knew about nutrition. The author Nina Teicholz spent nearly a decade researching dietary fat and the resulting book is more than impressive. Study by study, Teicholz discredits the mainstream nutrition claims that a low fat high carb diet is the healthiest.Instead, her research shows that the opposite may be much better for us. Teicholz is a talented writer and is able to link all the different studies and research findings into a smooth narrative that I found fascinating to read.
One thing I found most impressive is the amount of scientific evidence and research papers that Teicholz analyzed. All of those sources are cited at the end of the book, and seeing that list makes you understand how meticulously the author researched her book. I can only recommend this book to anyone interested in health and diet. ( )
1 vote Lilac_Lily01 | Jan 8, 2015 |
added by melmore | editWall Street Journal, Trevor Butterworth (pay site) (Jun 4, 2014)

added by melmore | editThe Economist (May 31, 2014)

I remember the day I stopped worrying about eating fat.

Investigative journalist Nina Teicholz reveals here that everything we thought we knew about dietary fat is wrong. She documents how the low-fat nutrition advice of the past sixty years has amounted to a vast uncontrolled experiment on the entire population, with disastrous consequences for our health. For decades, we have been told that the best possible diet involves cutting back on fat, especially saturated fat, and that if we are not getting healthier or thinner, we are not trying hard enough. But what if the low-fat diet is itself the problem? Based on a nine-year investigation, Teicholz shows how the misinformation about saturated fats took hold in the scientific community and the public imagination, and how recent findings have overturned these beliefs. She explains why the Mediterranean Diet is not the healthiest, and how we might be replacing trans fats with something even worse. She upends the conventional wisdom with the groundbreaking claim that more, not less, dietary fat--including saturated fat--is what leads to better health and wellness. Science shows that we have been needlessly avoiding meat, cheese, whole milk, and eggs for decades and that we can now, guilt-free, welcome these delicious foods back into our lives.--From publisher description. Challenges popular misconceptions about fats and nutrition science, revealing the distorted claims of nutrition studies while arguing that more dietary fat can lead to better health, wellness, and fitness.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,985,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible