March: Book Three by John Lewis

March: Book Three

by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin (Author), Nate Powell (Illustrator)

Series: March (3)

Recently added byoddogre, EBassett, ghsmediacenter, librariankate7578, KerriS98, private library, asxz

Although this is the last book of a trilogy you do not have to read all of them to know what is going on during the events written about in the books. This third book shows the events from 1963 to 1965 in the eyes of the author John Lewis. The illustrations tell the stories of the events that happened during these times that led to the end of the Civil Rights Movement. As you read along you learn about many memorable people from the movement like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Malcolm X, Fannie Lou Hamer and many more. I would recommend this as a reading for kids entering middle school for it is a lengthy read and has violent scenes of what happened during the movement. ( )
  KerriS98 | Mar 14, 2019 |
Final part of this astonishing trilogy - covering 1963 until the signing into law of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. The pace with which people were able to effect genuine change after centuries of stagnation is breathtaking. There are tragedies at every step, senseless deaths and violence by dreadful people motivated by hate and fear. The brutality of the police at Selma, with encouragement
from the Governor's mansion, is chilling.

The achievements of these great works of US history cannot be overstated. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
This book is a detailed description of the life of one civil rights activist. Both the words and comic book style illustrations show a glimpse of the harshness and brutality the black community faced leading up to, and during, the civil rights movement. Although I enjoyed it dearly, I would only recommend this book for a history or language arts class; due to its length. ( )
  ottmichaelt | Mar 12, 2019 |
Autobiographical black-and-white graphic novel about the Civil Rights Movement, told through the eyes of civil rights leader and U.S. Congressman John Lewis. I've seen Lewis on the news, but I really didn't know what exactly was his part in the movement - I will now listen even more intently whenever I see him. Extremely interesting story at the same time as being an important historical document that should be read by everyone living in the US, as well as everyone else. ( )
  -Eva- | Feb 26, 2019 |
I finally finished this trilogy of graphic novel books. Sad, depressing, shameful! We have so much work yet to do to even begin to reach the standard enunciated in the Declaration of July, 1776. This book demonstrates how selfish, misguided and ignorant we can be in the face of simple truths as it relates to basic human rights. The events of the book were 100 years after the bloody civil war and amendments to the constitution, yet even today there are shameful strategies to block voting. Shame on all of us! ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |

John Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aydin, AndrewAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, NateIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To the past and future children
of the movement.
September 15, 1963.
Birmingham, Alabama.

Welcome to the stunning conclusion of the award-winning and best-selling MARCH trilogy. Congressman John Lewis, an American icon and one of the key figures of the civil rights movement, joins co-writer Andrew Aydin and artist Nate Powell to bring the lessons of history to vivid life for a new generation, urgently relevant for today's world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,471,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible