Hater by David Moody

Hater (2006)

by David Moody

Series: Hater (1)

English (40)  German (1)  All languages (41)
It could happen to anyone at anytime. Sudden violent attacks on innocent people are happening everywhere. People are turning into violent murderers for no reason. Stay home, stay safe, and keep an eye on the people living with you.

Good premise. Gory. However, I wasn't invested in any one character enough to commit to a trilogy. Would've been happy with just the one book. ( )
  bookwormteri | May 10, 2018 |
Hater - David Moody *****

Prior to Hater, I had only been acquainted with Moody through his brilliant ‘Autumn’ series. This is where the world has been infected with a disease that kills most of the population, only for them to return to life as zombies after a few days. Hater is in many ways a similar novel, but this time the plot has far more realism.

Hater follows Danny McCoyne, a guy stuck in a seemingly mundane life, he tolerates his job and his family life leaves a lot to be desired. One day he witnesses an extreme act of violence against an elderly lady whilst on his way to work. Although initially shaken up he puts it to the back of his mind and life carries on as normal, but soon this seemingly rare incident is duplicated all over the country. Over The next few days the incidents dramatically increase causing a widespread panic, especially as no one knows who is going to turn into a murdering psychopath next and people are attacked by both strangers and family members alike. The killings are totally unrelated with nothing that will link any attack to another, the public are scared and society begins to break down. The people that flip are named ‘Haters’ by the media, and soon this is what they become known as across the country with a divide separating those identified as changed and those perceived as normal. Will Danny be able to save his family or will the disease strike those he loves most?

I really enjoyed Hater, as usual with Moody this is one of those books that you jump into for a bit of easy escapism that isn’t too taxing. The thing I most enjoy though is that he creates tales that happen to the normal people in society, the average Joe and that adds a sense of realism that can be missing from so many other authors. Even with the fairly outlandish plot, you still believe that you could wake up in the world of the Haters and suddenly your life is turned upside down. There are also a number of themes that bubble just below the surface, such as how does society deal with those it deems are different to the status quo, and when both factions decide they have to largest right to survive, does history have an opportunity to repeat itself from our darkest days?

I kind of guessed some of the twists but it didn’t spoil the novel, the pages whizzed by and I really enjoyed Hater. This is apparently the first part of a trilogy, which kind of explains the fairly odd/abrupt ending. I will definitely be seeking the others out. ( )
  Bridgey | Feb 5, 2018 |
boring. could not get into it at all. ( )
  maryintexas39 | Sep 6, 2017 |
I could not put this book down! ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
[Hater] by [David Moody] was recommended to me by my spouse. Since we have greatly different taste in books I put off reading it. Plus the bloody cover was off putting to be honest. Even though I read end of the world and zombie books graphic violence is usually not my thing but that was not what this book was like at all. Instead it was almost a psychological thriller that left the reader as well as the main character wondering who really were the good and bad guys. ( )
  MsHooker | Jul 12, 2015 |
Extinction
For
Lisa, Emma, Katie,
Megan, Becca, and Zoe
Simmons, regional manager for a chain of main street discount stores, slipped his change into his pocket then neatly folded his newspaper in half and tucked it under his arm.

Danny McCoyne witnesses an incident of seemingly random violence but soon dismisses it from his mind. However over the next few days he and his family witness other incidents, each more serious than the last. Reports of riots and violence are soon all over the television news and it seems that anyone can become what the media are calling 'haters,' normal people one moment who are driven to violence the next. People are advised to stay in their homes but are Danny and his family really safe when the 'hate' can strike anyone at any time, no matter where they hide?

When ordinary people throughout the world suddenly transform into violent killers, an everyday man struggles to retain normalcy and recognize who is trustworthy in a society escalating out of control.

David Moody is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,624,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible