The Prestige by Christopher Priest

The Prestige (1995)

by Christopher Priest

2,6051062,298 (3.78)2 / 209

English (100)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (105)
I really did rather like this book. I like the writing, and the multiple voices used appealed to me. Some parts dragged (the Angier bit in particular) but overall it was enjoyable enough.

And then it ended.

I'm not even sure if that's WHY I'm taking a star off, or what. I'm not sure about anything because I'm not sure what the fuck even happened. I read it like three times trying to work out what was going on in the last five pages and I got absolutely nothing. Not a sausage. Which I think I kind of like? I have no idea. I'm taking a star off for this weird unsettled feeling I have. Because I can. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
This starts out as teh tale of two magicians in the late 1899's who become rivals after one ruins a fradulent seance the other is conducting. The book goes more and more into a weird horror, sci-fi aspect as it goes along. I would have like the book more if it just stuck to magic. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
A young journalist travels to a town in pursuit of a story related to a local cult, only to find a story of a very different nature awaiting him. It will involve the history of his birth family, dueling magicians, secrets, and more.

I have seen and loved the film which is based on this book (and how did I just find out that there was a book?), so I thought I knew what I was in for. Not so. The book is quite different, and without going into too much detail because the twists and turns are so much of the fun, I will say that I was equally surprised by the end and felt that same need to watch - er, sorry, read - it over again to take in all the details. Multiple narrators take up threads of the story with few if any of them understanding it in full, and the movie's nonlinear storytelling mimics this to some degree. The story is complex and tells a magical tale in a fully believable way. I will definitely be on the lookout for more books by Christopher Priest. ( )
1 vote bell7 | Jan 6, 2016 |

Christopher Priestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bracceli, Giovanni BattistaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elizabeth and Simon
It began on a train, heading north through England, although I was soon to discover that the story had really begun more than a hundred years earlier.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312858868, Paperback)

The Washington Post called this "a dizzying magic show of a novel, chock-a-block with all the props of Victorian sensation fiction: seances, multiple narrators, a family curse, doubles, a lost notebook, wraiths, and disembodied spirits; a haunted house, awesome mad-doctor machinery, a mausoleum, and ghoulish horrors; a misunderstood scientist, impossible disappearances; the sins of the fathers visited upon their descendants." Winner of the 1996 World Fantasy Award, The Prestige is even better than that, because unlike many Victorians, Priest writes crisp, unencumbered prose. And anyone who's ever thrilled to the arcing electricity in the "It's alive!" scene in Frankenstein will relish the "special effects" by none other than Nikola Tesla.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:14 -0400)

Two 19th century stage illusionists, the aristocratic Rupert Angier and the working-class Alfred Borden, engage in a bitter and deadly feud; the effects are still being felt by their respective families a hundred years later. Working in the gaslight-and-velvet world of Victorian music halls, both men prowl edgily in the background of each other's shadowy life, driven to the extremes by a deadly combination of obsessive secrecy and insatiable curiosity. At the heart of the row is an amazing illusion they both perform during their stage acts. The secret of the magic is simple, and the reader is in on it almost from the start, but to the antagonists the real mystery lies deeper. Both have something more to hide than the mere workings of a trick.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,246,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible