City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams

City of Golden Shadow (1996)

by Tad Williams

Series: Otherland (1)

English (48)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
The Otherland books are the best series ever! I own them all and always recommend them. Amazing concept. You MUST read this series! ( )
  iggabod | May 4, 2018 |
I bought this one about a decade ago, tried reading it, enjoyed it, but then stopped somewhere halfway through, and when I got back to it, I knew I had to start from the beginning, because it had been too long, and then I just never did.

I'm so happy I finally sat down with this book. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Yes, it's slow, there's a lot of set-up and Tad Williams could probably cut a few hundred pages from (all?) his books and not lose much plot, but I loved every page.

This came more than a decade before Ready Player One, and it is even older than The Matrix films. Today, some of the tech and science is outdated, but the concept of virtual reality and what Tad Williams did with it, is amazing.

The Otherland series mixes science fiction, South African folklore, fairy tales, and fantasy into a wild tale and that mix is what I loved most about it. I can't wait to see where this series takes me! ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 27, 2018 |
I love the virtual reality imagined in these books. They all have bits that I had to push through, but this is a story that will stick with me forever! ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
I just finished this long book. It was well written, but I found it confusing and even after that many pages, never resolved a single plot line. I have heard that you have to read them all to really appreciate the story, but I dont know if I'm going to keep going. ( )
  aliciadana | Jun 16, 2017 |
2011 Review:
Having read this series as it came out back in the 90's, I wanted to go back and re-read to see how this held up, because I remember being blown away the first time through.

I was not blown away this time. However, that isn't a bad thing. This time I was able to consider smaller things than the coolness" factor of an online world, which was about to be the rage when this was written.

The characters were real. Enough so that I felt like slapping Renie multiple times for putting up with so much crap. Then I realized that is what real people do, with the ones they love. Multiple storylines, some very confusing because the character portrayed didn't know what was going on, were all wound together nicely at the end, so that while you knew there was more to come, there was also a nice cutoff point for the story.

On a different note, I read this in the bookclub edition. Not as large as a first edition but it was still a tome. I couldn't read it one handed. I had to frequently rest it on something, my stomach, the table, the covers, something to give my wrists a break. I will definitely be reading the rest on my ereader. Amazing tech, eh? :-D

2001 Review:
multiple characters, profanity" ( )
2 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Williams, TadAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Newbern, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my father,
Joseph Hill Evans,
with love.

Actually, Dad doesn't read fiction, so if someone
doesn't tell him about this, he'll never know.
It started in mud, as many things do.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0886777631, Mass Market Paperback)

Best-selling fantasy author Tad Williams (Tailchaser's Song, the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series) begins a far-reaching cyberpunk saga with Renie Sulaweyo, a teacher in the South Africa of tomorrow, realizing something is wrong on the network. Some of the younger kids, including her brother Stephen, have logged into the net, but they can't get back out. The clues point to a mysterious golden city called Otherland, but everyone who tries to find out what's going on ends up dead. Settle in for a long, enjoyable ride, because this 770-page monster is just the first of four projected novels.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

In a strange world of the near future, where virtual reality encompasses all aspects of society and boundaries are limited only by the power of the imagination, a dark conspiracy involving the world's most powerful individuals threatens to destroy everything.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,778,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible