Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted…

Stories of Your Life and Others (2002)

by Ted Chiang

2,203944,173 (4.28)1 / 88

English (87)  French (4)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (94)
I read this simply because I saw the Arrival movie and loved it. Usually I prefer to read the story before seeing the movie adaptation, but I'm glad I saw the movie first in this case. It was much more engaging than the short story. Overall, these are solid stories that explore very original and interesting concepts, though some don't quite end in a satisfactory manner. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
Great, thought-provoking SF stories ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jul 28, 2018 |

Slog, slog, slog. Sorry to everyone who thinks Chiang brings a special flavor of science and technology to short-story writing. Unless you like obtuse and overwrought as flavors, give it a miss.

Granted, the one story I read it for - "Story of Your Life" - which is what the movie, Arrival, is based on, was as-expected. Slightly different from the movie, but only slightly. The movie is actually a bit better because of the visuals (and because of whatever linguist they hired to design the language).

It's not that his concepts are not interesting. A story in which you can see directly into hell? Another that disproves mathematics? Or yet another about someone who gets smarter and smarter and smarter because of a drug he's taking? But let's take that latter one as an example of my problem with his writing. First of all, it's Flowers for Algernon with a different ending, so it's been done before in a better way. Second, he tries to craft it so that his writing is getting smarter and smarter, and that's a useless endeavor (because his writing naturally plateaus at a certain point, disproving his efforts). And third, why should I care about super-smart people who end up crazy? Don't we have enough of those already??

I guess I'll watch the movies made out of his books instead. ( )
  khage | Jun 25, 2018 |
This is only for the background story behind the movie "Arrival." Was hoping for a deeper understanding of the concepts in the movie. Did not happen. There's no doubt there's lots of thinking going on but my view is that what he's telling us is obscured by his word choice and sentence structure plus some murkiness to the plot. No question that the story sticks with you. I just can't come up with the raves given elsewhere. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
Maravilhoso!
Para quem se interessou pelo livro através do filme, como eu que me deparei com a própria capa do livro que anuncia "História da sua vida", o conto que inspirou o filme, aviso que são experiências substancialmente diferentes, que o filme apenas tomou livre inspiração neste conto que por si só é inspiradíssimo, e fez aquela obra maravilhosa com a Amy Adams no papel principal e Forest Whitaker como Cel. Weber. e que trata, principalmente, da conexão com o desconhecido, a possibilidade de comunicação e de se colocar no lugar do outro, além da plot twist com a o tempo, que também faz parte da história mas sem o twist da plot. O conto, enfim, "História da sua vida" não torna estes temas tão explícitos, e é uma digressão quase acadêmica sobre a linguagem, o tempo e a possibilidade de que mesmo o universo físico tenha dois viés, que dependem exclusivamente de como sua consciência se adaptou a observá-lo, o que me lembrou daquela palestra da Jill Bolton no TED sobre o cérebro esquerdo X cérebro direito.

Recomendo forte. ( )

In memory of
Brian Chiang
and
Jenna Felice.
Were the tower to be laid down across the plain of Shinar, it would be two days' journey to walk from one end to the other.
The movie Arrival is based on the novella Story of your Life, not this anthology.

Collects these stories
"Tower of Babylon"
"Understand"
"Division by Zero"
"Story of Your Life"
"Seventy-Two Letters"
"The Evolution of Human Science"
"Hell Is the Absence of God"
"Liking What You See: A Documentary"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765304198, Paperback)

This marvelous collection by one of science fiction's most thoughtful and graceful writers belongs on the bookshelf of anyone interested in literary science fiction.

Collected here for the first time, Ted Chiang's award-winning stories--recipients of the Nebula, Sturgeon, Campbell, and Asimov awards--offer a feast of science, speculation, humanity, and lyricism. Standouts include "Tower of Babylon," in which a miner ascends the fabled tower in order to break through the vault of heaven; "Division by Zero," a precise and heartbreaking examination of the disintegration of hope and love; and "Story of Your Life," in which a linguist learns an alien language that reshapes her view of the world. Chiang has the gift that lies at the heart of good science fiction: a human story, beautifully told, in which the science is an expression of the deeper issues that the characters must confront. Full of remarkable ideas and unforgettable moments, Stories of Your Life and Others is highly recommended. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:07 -0400)

Stories of your life and others delivers dual delights of the very, very strange and the heartbreakingly familiar, often presenting characters who must confront sudden change -- the inevitable rise of automations or the appearance of aliens -- while striving to maintain some sense of normalcy.… (more)

Small Beer Press

An edition of this book was published by Small Beer Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,015,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible