Love the One You're With by Emily…

Love the One You're With

by Emily Giffin

Pug Hill by Alison Pace (lookitisheef)
    lookitisheef: Another cute chick lit book about a girl and her relationship woes, with a little more comedy added in.
    Milkrun by Sarah Mlynowski (writemeg)
    Questions To Ask Before Marrying by Melissa Senate (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another solid chick lit selection requiring us to choose between the allure of a man from the past and the solidity of the man in the present -- or vice versa!

English (61)  Spanish (1)  All languages (62)
I was surprised on how human this story was. Although the main protagonist, Ellen, was sort of unlikable. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
This is a great depiction of the angst, heartbreak, and pull of loving two men. Emily as always adds in lots of details from NY to the "proper" ways of the South, and keeps me riveted until the very end. Until the last few pages, I wasn't sure which man she would choose, and it was a great ending. I had to force myself to put it down and complete my work each day! Great read ( )
  masugr | Jan 7, 2014 |
Blah. Really more like, 2.3 stars... ( )
  MargaretArmour | Dec 28, 2013 |
Blah. Really more like, 2.3 stars... ( )
  margaret.armour | Jul 15, 2013 |
Giffin strings the story along, making the reader hold on just a few more pages for the scandal to finally unfold. Unfortunately, she never really delivers. The drama in the story doesn’t come from anything actually happening. It really only comes from the main character blowing events out of proportion. As in an episode of Full House, nothing bad ever would have happened if Ellen had been honest from the beginning.

For my sweet Harriet
It happened exactly one hundred days after I married Andy, almost to the minute of our half-past-three-o'clock ceremony.
Looks like you found yourself a solid, Checkers-playing, Cheerios-eating, God-fearing, glass-half-full kinda guy.

A chance encounter with an old flame in Giffin's bittersweet, sometimes mawkish fourth novel causes Ellen Dempsey to consider anew what could have been. Shortly after marrying Andy, Ellen runs into Leo, her intense first love. Leo, a moody writer, has secretly preoccupied Ellen ever since he broke her heart, so after seeing him again, Ellen wonders if her perfect life is truly what she wants or simply what she was expected to want. This scenario is complicated by Ellen's past: the early death of her mother and subsequent disintegration of her family have left Ellen insecure and saddled with unresolved feelings of guilt. These feelings intensify when Andy's career takes the newlyweds from Ellen's beloved New York City to suburban Atlanta. As Ellen's feelings of inadequacy and resentment grow, her marriage begins to crumble.

A novel for anyone who has ever wondered: how can I truly love the one I'm with, when I can't forget the one who got away?

Ellen and Andy Graham have the perfect marriage. There is no question how deep their devotion is, and how naturally they bring out the best in each other. But one fateful afternoon, Ellen runs into Leo. The one who brought out the worst in her. The one who left her heartbroken nearly a decade ago. The one she could never quite forget. When his reappearance ignites long-dormant emotions, Ellen begins to question whether the life she's living is the one she's meant to live.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:14 -0400)

Ellen and Andy's marriage doesn't just seem perfect, it is perfect. There is no question how deep their devotion is, and how naturally they bring out the best in each other. But one fateful afternoon, Ellen runs into Leo for the first time in eight years. Leo, the one who brought out the worst in her. Leo, the one who left her heartbroken with no explanation. Leo, the one she could never quite forget. When his reappearance ignites long-dormant emotions, Ellen begins to question whether the life she's living is the one she's meant to live.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible