Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (2008)

by Alison Goodman

Recently added byrena75, That_Jessie_Girl, private library, ghsmediacenter, ava.rea
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (notemily)
    notemily: DRAGONS!
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (shadrach_anki, Caramellunacy, 0628perfect)
    shadrach_anki: There are definite similarities in theme between these two books, but each has its own take on it.
    Caramellunacy: Both of these stories are fantasy stories about a girl disguising herself as a boy in order to be allowed to apprentice & learn to fight. Alanna learns to wield both sword and magic as a knight & mage. Eon(a) is chosen to be a dragoneye and must learn to wield the political and magical power this brings.… (more)
    0628perfect: In both Eon and this book the main female protaganist have to hide their identities. They have to pretend to be boys to survive in the world.
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (bluehighlighter)
    Daughter of the Flames by Zoe Marriott (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similar strong female protagonist, engaging fantasy world, martial arts action

English (123)  French (2)  Latin (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (127)
Eon is a girl in disguise so that he can be a candidate as an apprentice Dragoneye. The world is a riff on an imperial Chinese court with Dragon spirits affiliated with the 12 animals of the horoscope. It was a little more violent than I expected and Eon's relationship with his master is troubling. He ends up allied with the Emperor and his son in a battle for the throne against the Emperor's brother and an ambitious and cruel Rat Dragoneye. to be continued... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This was amazing. It kept me on my toes through the whole experience as i got deeper and deeper into the book. The culture in the book reminded me of Japanese and Chinese culture. I would recommended this book to anyone who is need of a good adventure. The twists that the author include made you see some very human aspects of each of the characters and made you cheer for Eon's side the more you read. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
My first comment is that I am really looking forward to reading Book Two - Eona. It feels like it took a long, long time for Eon to face up to her secret. In fact, this book is a perfect example of dramatic tension - every time I thought I saw a resolution coming, another chapter would keep me guessing. Made it very hard to decide where to stop reading for the night!
This is classy fantasy, well-grounded in a thoroughly believable and consistent oriental world. With dragons! What could be better!
If you love fantasy, conflicted protagonists who have to fight their way into their own shape and power, brilliant world-building, flawless dialogue and DRAGONS, then the Eon series is for you. ( )
  ClareRhoden | Sep 26, 2018 |
I wish I could give this two and a half stars, because I really did enjoy great swathes of the story. The writing is solid, the characters are real and flawed and jump to incorrect conclusions and make mistakes, and the story really is one helluva ride.

I had a difficult time getting swallowed by the story, though. I'm still not sure why, though if I was to hazard a guess I'd say it had to do with the world building. It wasn't totally smooth, and there wasn't a whole lot the reader could infer intuitively. The foundation of Eon's world starts to crumble as he learns things aren't as everyone in the empire assumed they were--which is all well and good, but it happens before the reader has a clear enough view of what those foundations consist of.

HOWEVER: it is a good book. Please don't mistake two stars as a reason to not read this book or its sequel Eona. If you enjoy YA epic fantasy, you will undoubtedly enjoy Eon more than I did. It just wasn't for me. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
This book kind of started off slow, but it quickly gained speed. This was my first foray into a story world that had Asian inspired locations and characteristics. It was a fantastic read with a great ending. I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel! ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
For my dear friend, Karen McKenzie
No one knows how the first Dragoneyes made their dangerous bargain with the twelve energy dragons of good fortune.
Published as Eon: Dragoneye Reborn in the US, as Eon: Rise of the Dragoneye in the UK, and in Australia as The Two Pearls of Wisdom (adult edition) and Eon (YA edition)

Action—a stunning magic system—swordplay galore!

Eon has been studying the ancient art of Dragon Magic for four years, hoping he’ll be able to apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. But he also has a dark secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been living a dangerous lie for the chance to become a Dragoneye, the human link to an energy dragon’s power. It is forbidden for females to practice the Dragon Magic and, if discovered, Eon faces a terrible death. After a dazzling sword ceremony, Eon’s affinity with the twelve dragons catapults him into the treacherous world of the Imperial court where he makes a powerful enemy, Lord Ido. As tension builds and Eon’s desperate lie comes to light, readers won’t be able to stop turning the pages …

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:37 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Eon hopes to become an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune and learn to be its main interpreter, but to do so will require much, including keeping secret that she is a girl.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,758,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible