Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Wintergirls

by Laurie Halse Anderson

English (280)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (283)
I got through 60% and then I had to stop. The writing style was awful and was a struggle to understand each page. The story line itself was wonderful but could have been written so much better. It talks about a very hard topic which we do need to address with young girls. Just written poorly in my opinion. ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |
This book scared me and showed me the reality of eating disorders. Before this book I thought anorexia was just not wanting to eat but now I know it is also the way the people think they look like, looking in to the mirror and you see yourself as a 300 pound person when in reality and others eyes you're a 90 pound sixteen year old. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
Lia and Cassie are best of friends, but sometimes friends are not what they seem. Lia’s best friend died after suffering from anorexia, Lia is suffering, too. Throughout the novel, Lia struggles with her body image, anorexia, and feelings about Cassie. “And that’s the problem. When you’re alive, people can hurt you. It is easier to crawl into a bone cage or a snowdrift of confusion.”
Will she acknowledge “Food is life.” before it is too late? ( )
  lflareads | Mar 26, 2019 |
Wintergirls is a really dark book about this girl named Lia whose friend died,Cassie, and about the journey Lia is having with her best friend dying and also Lia's battle with anorexia. Lia is having some trouble with a new year in high school. I do recommend this book for middle schoolers but not younger because it is way too dark for young children. It is a really good book the authour did a really good job with the book. ( )
  EvieG.G3 | Mar 14, 2019 |
Warning, this is one of those books you can't put down and it will impact your sleep causing you to keep saying, one more chapter, one more chapter. The book was raw with emotion and very haunting The author did her research and it came through in the pages. I originally read this book to preview it for my teen daughter because I know bulimia, anorexia, and cutting are issues affecting so many people, especially teenage girls. However, after reading it I am not comfortable having her read it at this stage of life. Although the author portrays being anorexic as pure misery, the book is very real and could be used as a how-to manual for many anorexic and bulimic behaviors. ( )
  christinegrabowski | Feb 6, 2019 |

Anderson, Laurie Halseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stith, JeannieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[Persephone] was filled with a sense of wonder, and she reached out with both hands to take hold of the pretty plaything. And the earth, full of roads leading every which way, opened up under her....She cried with a piercing voice....But not one of the immortal ones, or of human mortals, heard her.

Homeric Hymn to Demeter, translated by Gregory Nagy

The King gave orders that they should let her sleep quietly till the time came for her to awake.

The Sleeping Beauty in the Woods, by Charles Perrault, 1696, translated by Charles Welsh
To Scot - for building the fire that keeps me warm when the blizzard rages outside.
So she tells me, the words dribbling out with the cranberry muffin crumbs, commas dunked in her coffee.
We turned us into wintergirls, and when she tried to leave, I pulled her back into the snow because I was afraid to be alone.

"Dead girl walking," the boys say in the halls.

"Tell us your secret," the girls whisper, on toilet to another.

I am that girl.

I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.

I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.

***

LIA AND CASSIE were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. But now Cassie is dead. Lia's mother is busy saving other peoples lives. Her father is away on business. Her stepmother is clueless. And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling her remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. If she keeps on going this way -- thin, thinner, thinnest -- maybe she'll disappear altogether.

In her most emotional wrenching, lyrically written book since National Book Award finalist Speak, bestselling author Laurie Halse Anderson explores one girl's chilling descent into the all-consuming vortex of anorexia.

Eighteen-year-old Lia comes to terms with her best friend's death from anorexia as she struggles with the same disorder.

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,735,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible