How to Win Friends and Influence People by…

How to Win Friends and Influence People (1948)

by Dale Carnegie

English (110)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  All (115)
Excellent book on human nature, and although the book was written 82 years ago, the advice is still relevant. How to become a better person, a better salesperson, and a better family member, Frequent quotes from famous people such as Theodore Roosevelt, John Wanamaker and PT Barnum reveal how to be successful in dealing and interacting with strangers, and even with your own best friends. Good advice on meeting people, and how to start conversations with people you have just met. An excellent handbook for today's introverts in how to live in the same world as extroverts. Recommended. ( )
  hadden | Jun 15, 2018 |
This was a very simplistic book, but I remember my social psyc professor mentioned it 10 years ago (ew!!) so at some point I wanted to read it. Plus, it’s old so what can you expect. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
This is basic people skills. People should brush up on how to deal with people by revisiting this book. There are rules listed in how to interact with people. #1 rule: do not criticize, condemn, complain. No one likes being criticized, condemned and complained to. It leaves bad feelings. There are basic common sense rules that are explained with studies and findings. It helps to read this book, you can recheck where you are and how you communicate and deal with others. If you do the no-no's that Carnegie discourages you from doing, you can see why that does not play well with others. ( )
  majestic131 | Feb 26, 2018 |
This is an interesting book that helps in character building and positively changes the life of anyone who applies the ideas recommended in this work in his/her daily living. Can't stop reading and re-reading this book. ( )
  Nkem2424 | Feb 19, 2018 |
Since I was a kid, my mother has called this "The Book" and believes it is one of the most important works published. I'm not sure I entirely agree with her. Most of the book is testimonials. Every chapter is filled with examples of people implementing Carnegie's ideas and the situation going smoothly. He doesn't have to sell the book to us every other page! It's very repetitive--or else Carnegie wouldn't have a full size book. Also, some of his techniques seem a little...manipulative? I don't believe that someone can have honest and sincere interest in everybody all the time. It would be exhausting. On the other hand, there is something to this book, as it was originally published in the 1930's and is still relevant today. I do think that, taken with a grain of salt, his tenets are not poor advice. We should take a little more time to have sincere interest in people. Trying to honestly see things from the other person's point of view is good practice. I read the book once, wrote down all of his principles on a separate sheet of paper, and plan to review that from time to time as a reminder of what I can do to improve my inter-personal communication skills. But I don't think I will ever read the book again. ( )
  renardkitsune | Feb 16, 2018 |
This book is dedicated to a man who doesn't need to read it - My cherished friend Homer Croy
Introduction by Lowell Thomas - a short-cut to distinction. On a cold, winter night last January two thousand five hundred men and women thronged into the grand ballroom of the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York. Every available seat was filled by half past seven.

Introduction by Dale Carnegie - How this book was written - and why.  ... Why, then, have I had the temerity to write another book? And, after I have written it, why should you bother to read it?
Relocated from 'first words' Common Knowledge entry -"How to Win Friends and Influence People was first published in 1937 in an edition of only five thousand copies." Which appears to be from the preface written by Dorothy Carnegie (Mrs. Dale Carnegie) to the 'revised' addition.

Following copied from Simon & Schuster (original publishers) web page on 10 May 2015 "Since its release in 1936, How to Win Friends and Influence People has sold more than 15 million copies."

Don't criticize, condemn or complain.
Give honest and sincere appreciation.
Arouse in the other person an eager want.
Become genuinely interested in other people.
Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
Talk in terms of the other person's interests.
Make the other person feel important-and do it sincerely.
The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never say "You're wrong."
If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
Begin in a friendly way.
Get the other person saying "yes, yes" immediately.
Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
Let the other person feel the idea is his or hers.
Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas and desires.
Appeal to the nobler motives.
Dramatize your ideas.
Throw down a challenge.
Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.
Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
Let the other person save face.
Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be "hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise."
Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027034, Paperback)

This grandfather of all people-skills books was first published in 1937. It was an overnight hit, eventually selling 15 million copies. How to Win Friends and Influence People is just as useful today as it was when it was first published, because Dale Carnegie had an understanding of human nature that will never be outdated. Financial success, Carnegie believed, is due 15 percent to professional knowledge and 85 percent to "the ability to express ideas, to assume leadership, and to arouse enthusiasm among people." He teaches these skills through underlying principles of dealing with people so that they feel important and appreciated. He also emphasizes fundamental techniques for handling people without making them feel manipulated. Carnegie says you can make someone want to do what you want them to by seeing the situation from the other person's point of view and "arousing in the other person an eager want." You learn how to make people like you, win people over to your way of thinking, and change people without causing offense or arousing resentment. For instance, "let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers," and "talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person." Carnegie illustrates his points with anecdotes of historical figures, leaders of the business world, and everyday folks. --Joan Price

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

The inspirational personal development guide that shows how to achieve lifelong success.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,305,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible