dismiss

Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde

Lost in a Good Book (2002)

by Jasper Fforde

Series: Thursday Next (2)

8,496220643 (4.08)478
Thursday Next, literary detective and newlywed is back to embark on an adventure that begins, quite literally on her own doorstep. It seems that Landen, her husband of four weeks, actually drowned in an accident when he was two years old. Someone, somewhere, sometime, is responsible. Having barely caught her breath after The Eyre affair, Thursday must battle corrupt politicians, try to save the world from extinction, and help the Neanderthals to species self-determination. Mastadon migrations, journeys into Just William, a chance meeting with the Flopsy Bunnies, and violent life-and-death struggles in the summer sales are all part of a greater plan. But whose? and why?… (more)
    Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar (changsbooks)
    changsbooks: If you loved the Wayside School series as a kid, it's time to graduate to Jasper Fforde's own brand of absurdism.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Same kind of quirky humour and style
    Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)
    Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin (carlym)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Franklyn [2008 film] by Gerald McMorrow (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For washing and washing machine directions.

English (212)  German (3)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (220)

"Lost in a Good Book" is the sequel to "The Eyre Affair" starring spec ops officer Thursday Next. To say that Thursday's life is complicated is an understatement. I'm not going to get into the plot or characters of this book **Too Much**. To do so would spoil this book, the preceding book, and the following book. I will say that, unlike "The Eyre Affair", "Lost in a Good Book" does not stand on its own. You must have read the first book to understand it. Then, you will have to read the next book to get any resolution. (I rather suspect that there won't be any resolution in the next book either.)

About the plot I will say, Thursday's exploits in Jane Eyre have made her a bit of a celebrity, which means she has to make regular appearances on TV. Not everybody likes her, though; a mysterious foe keeps trying to kill her, her husband of one month has been eradicated from history and if that weren't bad enough, her time-travelling father tells her Armageddon is at hand, and concerns DREAM WHIP. So not only does Thursday have to get her husband back from the depths of time, but she has to stay alive long enough to save the world. Fortunately, there is plenty of literary stuff going on to keep her from going mad. First she has to authenticate a newly found play by Shakespeare, which may well be a ploy in a political conspiracy; then she has to head back into fiction to become a literary detective inside the book world, apprenticed to none other than Miss Havisham. Along the way, she meets Neanderthals, mammoths, the Cheshire Cat and many others, learns many useful skills and ends up saving the planet. Naturally.

Weird, fun, meta-fictional. Thursday slides in and out of books and her brand of reality, and there are some great little touches like communication via textual footnotes between people in fiction and people in reality.

Fforde's first sequel to The Eyre Affair isn't as tightly plotted as the original, but is equally delightful and inventive, and just as full of literary in-jokes. There are references to anything from Austen and Dickens to Kafka, not to mention lots of time travel and seriously evil baddies. In short, it's heaps of fun for those who take their literature seriously... and those who don't.

The one small peeve about this book is in the rather thin plot. We have here something in the manner of an episodic novel, with a string of loosely connected set pieces and an overall arch that doesn't advance much and is left to be resolved in a future book.

But all is forgiven in the sheer exuberance of wrecking havoc on timeline continuity and of playing loose with established literary characters. So if you are interested in finding about tensionolists, entroscopes, bloopholes, mnemonomorphs, oozemosis and so on ... this is the place to come to.

NAMES--
Ambrose Bierce is a real person, look him up.
Vernham Deane may be derived from the Hampshire village of Vernham Dean.
Aornis Hades - Thursday claims that Aornis's name is derived from the fact that the Acheron, Lethe, Cocytus, Phlegethon, and Aornis rivers are all tributaries to the river Styx. However, in canonical descriptions of the underworld, there is no river by the name Aornis, nor are the other rivers tributary to the Styx- however they do all flow through the Greek Underworld and separate its different regions.
Bartholomew Stiggins - his name is a reference to Stig of the Dump, a caveman in English children's stories.
Harris Tweed - his name is a pun on a type of woolen cloth of the same name.
Brik Schitt-Hawse - pretty self-explanatory
Akrid Snell - Acrid Smell
Kannon & Phodder - Cannon fodder
Dedman & Walken - Dead man Walking
Lamme & Slorter - .......I don't know. Anyone??

QUOTES--
"Because, my dear girl, no one has the least idea why they work. You will agree that a vacuum flask keeps hot things hot in the winter and cold things cold in the summer?"
"Yes."
"Well, how does it know? I've studied vacuum flasks for many years and not one of them gave any clues as to their inherent seasonal cognitive ability. It's a mystery to me, I can tell you."
“I'll tell you what love is" I said, "It is blind devotion, unquestioning self humiliation, utter submission, trust and belief against yourself and against the whole world, giving up your heart and soul to the smiter.”
“Her majesty is one verb short of a sentence.” ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
Thursday Next, SpecOps agent, has been married a month now when she hears the news that her husband, Landen, has vanished, and not only has he vanished, but he was supposed to have drowned 38 years ago instead of his father. No one can remember him, but her, and she really don't know where to start looking or who is responsible.

She is a bit of a star now with her success with Jane Eyre in previous book and she is appearing on TV, but still the Goliath Corporation want her to retrieve their employee, Jack Schitt from the poem that she trapped him in, and will do a lost anything to force her to do so.

To finds her husband, she must go back into the world of literature to find the answers, and to see why other parties want to see the end of the world.

Thought that this was better than the first book, even though it it not fully concluded at the end. I like the way that he is developing the character and the surreal and twisted world that he has created. Definitely a 3.5 star read. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
Better than the first one, still shit. ( )
  thewanlorn | Feb 24, 2020 |
Ok... this one was definitely my fault. When I started I didn’t realize it was the second book of a series so I felt kinda lost. Also , just may not be for me , maybe too British ? perhaps I’ll try the first book and go from there . DNF 40%
  katewillett | Jan 31, 2020 |
This series is so wonderfully, delightfully weird! ( )
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
In Lost in a Good Book and The Well of Lost Plots, Fforde gets a bit bogged down in all the details of the fictional universe.
added by Katya0133 | editGalef, David, Yale Review (Oct 1, 2008)

There is a certain self-delighted quality to all this cleverness that would probably become annoying if Fforde weren't so resolutely unclever about his own writing. By and large, the story bounds along in one-sentence paragraphs that J. K. Rowling would be proud of.

Fforde, JasperAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koen, ViktorIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perez, JosephCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, MaggyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, MariPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sastre, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stern, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Book
is dedicated to assistants everywhere.
You make it happen for them.
They couldn't do it without you.
Your contribution is everything.
Sample viewing figures for major TV networks in England, September 1985... I didn't ask to be a celebrity.
I didn't ask to be a celebrity.
I’ve been in law enforcement for most of my life and I will tell you right now there is no such offense as ‘attempted murder by coincidence in an alternative future by person or persons unknown.’
Poor, dear, sweet Jane! I would so hate to be a first-person character! Always on your guard, always having people reading your thoughts! Here we do what we are told but think what we wish. It is a much happier circumstance, believe me! - Marianne Dashwood
Bloophole: Term used to describe a narrative hole by the author that renders his/her work seemingly impossible. An unguarded bloophole may not cause damage for millions of readings, but then, quite suddenly and catastrophically, the book may unravel itself in a very dramatic fashion.
'Things,' Dad used to say, 'are a whole lot weirder than we can know.'
Attention, please. Passengers for the 11:04 DeepDrop to Sydney will be glad to know that the delay was due to too many excuses being created by the Gravitube’s Excuse Manufacturing Facility. Consequently we are happy to announce that since the excess excuses have now been used, the 11:04 DeepDrop to Sydney is ready for boarding at gate six.

Her adventures as a renowned Special Operative in literary detection have left Thursday Next yearning for a rest. But when the love of her life is eradicated by the corrupt multinational Goliath Corporation, Thursday must bite the bullet and moonlight as a Prose Resource Operative in the secret world of Jurisfiction, the police force inside the books. There she is apprenticed to Miss Havisham, the famous man-hater from Dicken's Great Expectations, who teaches her to book-jump like a pro. If she retrieves a supposedly vanquished enemy from the pages of Poe's "The Raven," she thinks Goliath might return her lost love, Landen. But her latest mission is endlessly complicated. Not only are there side trips into the works of Kafka and Austen, and even Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Flopsy Bunnies, Thursday finds herself the target of a series of potentially lethal coincidences, the authenticator of a newly discovered play by the Bard himself, and the only one who can prevent an unidentifiable pink sludge from engulfing all life on Earth.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,252,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible