The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

The Amber Spyglass (2000)

by Philip Pullman (Author)

Series: His Dark Materials (3)

15,646None113 (4.03)88
adventure (195) alternate universe (112) British (113) children (142) children's (317) children's fiction (85) children's literature (165) coming of age (76) daemons (82) England (73) fantasy (3,182) fiction (1,724) His Dark Materials (658) magic (135) novel (179) own (109) parallel worlds (71) Philip Pullman (82) read (312) religion (386) science fiction (293) series (304) sff (136) steampunk (105) to-read (85) trilogy (114) unread (78) YA (349) young adult (709) young adult fiction (77)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    Cold Fire by Kate Elliot (Jen448)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (Leishai)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: This book follows a similar trajectory to the HDM trilogy, starting out fairly light and bright and growing gradually more somber, mature, and troubled.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (255)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Croatian (1)  All languages (264)
Although I hated book two, I couldn't not read book three. It was like picking at a scab. How was it? Deadly. ( )
  lsfayne | Apr 16, 2014 |

Sometimes you shouldn't revisit former favourites; I have to say that I have been much less blown away by the His Dark Materials trilogy on re-reading than I was first time round. I loved the bits with Mary Malone and the mulefa, but found the land of the dead sequence a bit internally inconsistent - likewise the death of God - and got really a bit fed up with Mrs Coulter and some of the others (eg the Gallivespians ). And while if you are a young teenager in love it does indeed feel as if the entire universe depends on that fact, actually it often turns out to be a temporary phenomenon. Maybe I was just in a bad mood, but it just did not have the same magic for me on second reading. ( )
  nwhyte | Mar 21, 2014 |
The thickened conclusion to the story of some little kids trying to kill God... but in a good way. It feels like Pullman was trying to pad out the novel here, and time he should have spent wrapping up storylines was spent with meaningless non-obstacles. Will gets drunk on vodka with no consequences. The dimension-skipping knife breaks, only to be easily repaired with no consequences. Going to the land of the dead and freeing everyone, with no consequences to the main plot. It seems Pullman needed space to put in the subplots. It made the story drag out, and it's long enough without the filler.

If it wasn't for the padding, would it still be a good story? I don't know. I guess I didn't really care for this piece, or the trilogy. I felt like I had to read it to find out what happened. I don't know where it went wrong. Maybe it just didn't click with me. Maybe it was too British, maybe it felt too stilted, maybe I couldn't identify with the characters. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 24, 2014 |
Third in a trilogy of fantasy books written for young adults about other worlds and fulfilling a prophecy. The whole series is excellent and I highly recommend them! ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
Color me disappointed in the trajectory of His Dark Materials. I loved Lyra when we met her, but she devolved into a lovesick teenager who was subservient to a total dud of a love interest.

I also felt like there was too much crammed into this book: too many new important characters, too many ideas. It was too much.

Despite what I'd heard, the series did not feel anti-religious to me...for better or worse. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
And as the bumpy journey among these dark materials comes to an end, there is the most moving of scenes: all fantasy subdued and only human frailty revealed in the real world of Oxford's Botanic Garden.

Pullman, PhilipAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bruno, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pullman, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scutt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The morning comes, the night decays, the watchmen leave their stations;
The grave is burst, the spices shed, the linen wrapped up;
The bones of death, the cov'ring clay the sinews shrunk & dry'd
Reviving shake, inspiring move, breathing, awakening,
Spring like redeemed captives when their bonds & bars are burst.
Let the slave grinding at the mill run out into the field,
Let him look up into the heavens & laugh in the bright air;
Let the inchained soul, shut up in darkness and in sighing,
Whose face has never seen a smile in thirty weary years,
Rise and look out; his chains are loose, his dungeon doors are open;
And let his wife and children return from the oppressor's scourge.
They look behind at every step & believe it is a dream,
Singing: "The Sun has let his blackness & has found a fresher morning,
And the fair Moon rejoices in the clear & cloudless night;
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease."

-- from "America: A Prophecy" by William Blake
O stars,
isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? Doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from pure constellations?

-- from "The Third Elegy" by Ranier Maria Rilke
Fine vapors escape from whatever is doing the living.
The night is cold and delicate and full of angels
Pounding down the living. The factories are all lit up,
The chime goes unheard.
We are together at last, though far apart.

-- from "The Ecclesiast" by John Ashbery
O tell of His might, O sing of His grace,
Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space,
His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

Robert Grant, from Hymns Ancient and Modern.
In a valley shaded with rhododendrons, close to the snow line, where a stream milky with melt-water splashed and where doves and linnets flew among the immense pines, lay a cave, half-hidden by the crag above and the stiff heavy leaves that clustered below.
I used to be a nun, you see. I thought physics could be done to the glory of God, till I saw there wasn't any God at all and that physics was more interesting anyway. The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all.
The unabridged audio recording is narrated by a full cast, so there are a large number of narrators.
In the astonishing finale to the His Dark Materials trilogy, Lyra and Will are in unspeakable danger. With help from Iorek Byrnison the armored bear and two tiny Gallivespian spies, they must journey to a dank and gray-lit world where no living soul has ever gone. All the while, Dr. Mary Malone builds a magnificent Amber Spyglass. An assassin hunts her down, and Lord Asriel, with a troop of shining angels, fights his mighty rebellion, in a battle of strange allies—and shocking sacrifice.

As war rages and Dust drains from the sky, the fate of the living—and the dead—finally comes to depend on two children and the simple truth of one simple story.
Heroine suffers.
But in the end it's only
Midi-chlorians.
(Noisy)

Lyra and Will find themselves at the center of a battle between the forces of the Authority and those gathered by Lyra's father, Lord Asriel.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible