The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

The Amber Spyglass (2000)

by Philip Pullman

Series: His Dark Materials (3)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (Morteana)
    Cold Fire by Kate Elliott (Jen448)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (Leishai)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: This book follows a similar trajectory to the HDM trilogy, starting out fairly light and bright and growing gradually more somber, mature, and troubled.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (295)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Croatian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All (1)  All (305)
When I was younger, I only read the first book of the series and didn't enjoy it all that much. So in grad school, a friend and I who had had a similar reaction to the books when we were younger agreed to read them again and decide how we felt now. To me, this last book of the trilogy is the best one, the one where you get to see all of to strings come together. There is a lot of imagination and creativity in the world that Pullman has created. Personally I would have liked to get to the third book faster - the first two books dragged for me, and so while I enjoyed seeing all the parts come together in the last book I probably would have given up long before reaching it if I hadn't made an agreement to read all three of them. I love the world that Pullman created, and the story line is creative and intricate. I don't think Pullman's writing lives up to his ideas though, and I found his characters to be flat through much of the story. They would have moments of brilliance, and that was enough to keep me invested but not enough to make me fall in love with them.

The ending is brilliant though - Pullman does not pull his punches, and for a YA novel that it something to be admired. Having the courage to not create a fairy tale ending is deserving of kudos. I would definitely recommend this book with the caveats that you should not be 1) easily/at all offended by anti-Christian sentiment and 2) be willing to push through weak writing in order to read a great narrative. ( )
  LSmith862 | May 31, 2017 |

1 vote LSmith862 | May 31, 2017 |
My least favorite of the trilogy, though it was still really enjoyable. It felt like the threads kind of got away from Pullman here, and frankly, he's much better at writing suspense than he is at writing romance. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
WAY too preachy. Completely lost the plot in trying to hit you in the face with his beliefs. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
uh-oh - angels.

Least liked of the three. The most didactic and too full of things I don't like - angels, little people riding dragonflies, imaginary animals etc. But I really admire Pullman and all he tried to pull off with this trilogy. Pretty amazing stuff. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
And as the bumpy journey among these dark materials comes to an end, there is the most moving of scenes: all fantasy subdued and only human frailty revealed in the real world of Oxford's Botanic Garden.

Pullman, PhilipAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bailey, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bruno, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pullman, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rohmann, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O tell of His might, O sing of His grace,
Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space,
His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

Robert Grant, from Hymns Ancient and Modern.
O stars,
isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? Doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from pure constellations?

Ranier Maria Rilke, The Third Elegy.
    From The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke (transl. Stephen Michell)
Fine vapors escape from whatever is doing the living.
The night is cold and delicate and full of angels
Pounding down the living. The factories are all lit up,
The chime goes unheard.
We are together at last, though far apart.

John Ashbery, The Ecclesiast.
    From River and Mountains.
In a valley shaded with rhododendrons, close to the snow line, where a stream milky with melt-water splashed and where doves and linnets flew among the immense pines, lay a cave, half-hidden by the crag above and the stiff heavy leaves that clustered below.
I used to be a nun, you see. I thought physics could be done to the glory of God, till I saw there wasn't any God at all and that physics was more interesting anyway. The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all.

In the astonishing finale to the His Dark Materials trilogy, Lyra and Will are in unspeakable danger. With help from Iorek Byrnison the armored bear and two tiny Gallivespian spies, they must journey to a dank and gray-lit world where no living soul has ever gone. All the while, Dr. Mary Malone builds a magnificent Amber Spyglass. An assassin hunts her down, and Lord Asriel, with a troop of shining angels, fights his mighty rebellion, in a battle of strange allies—and shocking sacrifice.

As war rages and Dust drains from the sky, the fate of the living—and the dead—finally comes to depend on two children and the simple truth of one simple story.
Heroine suffers.
But in the end it's only
Midi-chlorians.
(Noisy)

Lyra and Will find themselves at the center of a battle between the forces of the Authority and those gathered by Lyra's father, Lord Asriel.

5 1901

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,235,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible