The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

The Amber Spyglass (2000)

by Philip Pullman

Series: His Dark Materials (3)

Recently added byprivate library, sevysaurus, HappyKids, Tuulihaukka, Keelz09, Revekka, sunnykim, fugglestone
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (Morteana)
    Cold Fire by Kate Elliott (Jen448)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (Leishai)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: This book follows a similar trajectory to the HDM trilogy, starting out fairly light and bright and growing gradually more somber, mature, and troubled.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (295)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Croatian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  English (1)  English (305)
WAY too preachy. Completely lost the plot in trying to hit you in the face with his beliefs. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
uh-oh - angels.

Least liked of the three. The most didactic and too full of things I don't like - angels, little people riding dragonflies, imaginary animals etc. But I really admire Pullman and all he tried to pull off with this trilogy. Pretty amazing stuff. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials Series #3) 23 Nov 2000

My favorite of the trilogy. Pullman ended it appropriately, I think. What I love is all the modern world physics mixed in.

3 Oct 2016

Neither of the girls let me read them the whole series, nor read it themselves. Sigh. Oh, well, although I remembered the Golden Compass well from multiple reads and multiple film viewings, I didn't remember the second and third books as well. So, that seemed an appropriate choice for Banned Books Week, even if I didn't get them done on time.

Personal copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
This book makes the series and ties everything so well together. I especially loved the Mary Malone parts of the story - she's a gem. In my opinion, everyone can - and maybe should - read His Dark Materials - it might be a childrens fantasy story, but it has so many layers added to the story, that it is enjoyable for all ages. ( )
  SilkeMaria | Oct 12, 2016 |
Almost as good as the first (and best) in the trilogy, but loses points for, in my opinion, the needless cruelty of the ending. I'm sorry, I get the thematic relevance, I just don't care. I'm also not looking for a 100% happy ending, but COME ON. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
And as the bumpy journey among these dark materials comes to an end, there is the most moving of scenes: all fantasy subdued and only human frailty revealed in the real world of Oxford's Botanic Garden.

Pullman, PhilipAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bailey, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bruno, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pullman, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rohmann, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O tell of His might, O sing of His grace,
Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space,
His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

Robert Grant, from Hymns Ancient and Modern.
O stars,
isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? Doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from pure constellations?

Ranier Maria Rilke, The Third Elegy.
    From The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke (transl. Stephen Michell)
Fine vapors escape from whatever is doing the living.
The night is cold and delicate and full of angels
Pounding down the living. The factories are all lit up,
The chime goes unheard.
We are together at last, though far apart.

John Ashbery, The Ecclesiast.
    From River and Mountains.
In a valley shaded with rhododendrons, close to the snow line, where a stream milky with melt-water splashed and where doves and linnets flew among the immense pines, lay a cave, half-hidden by the crag above and the stiff heavy leaves that clustered below.
I used to be a nun, you see. I thought physics could be done to the glory of God, till I saw there wasn't any God at all and that physics was more interesting anyway. The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all.
The unabridged audio recording is narrated by a full cast, so there are a large number of narrators.

In the astonishing finale to the His Dark Materials trilogy, Lyra and Will are in unspeakable danger. With help from Iorek Byrnison the armored bear and two tiny Gallivespian spies, they must journey to a dank and gray-lit world where no living soul has ever gone. All the while, Dr. Mary Malone builds a magnificent Amber Spyglass. An assassin hunts her down, and Lord Asriel, with a troop of shining angels, fights his mighty rebellion, in a battle of strange allies—and shocking sacrifice.

As war rages and Dust drains from the sky, the fate of the living—and the dead—finally comes to depend on two children and the simple truth of one simple story.
Heroine suffers.
But in the end it's only
Midi-chlorians.
(Noisy)

Lyra and Will find themselves at the center of a battle between the forces of the Authority and those gathered by Lyra's father, Lord Asriel.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,729,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible