The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

The Amber Spyglass (2000)

by Philip Pullman (Author)

Series: His Dark Materials (3)

adventure (200) alternate universe (112) British (114) children (145) children's (318) children's fiction (87) children's literature (168) coming of age (76) daemons (84) England (75) fantasy (3,214) fiction (1,736) His Dark Materials (662) magic (137) novel (187) own (112) parallel worlds (73) Philip Pullman (82) read (318) religion (391) science fiction (301) series (310) sff (138) steampunk (106) to-read (90) trilogy (114) unread (78) YA (353) young adult (716) young adult fiction (78)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    Cold Fire by Kate Elliot (Jen448)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (Leishai)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: This book follows a similar trajectory to the HDM trilogy, starting out fairly light and bright and growing gradually more somber, mature, and troubled.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (261)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Croatian (1)  All languages (270)
Gets pretty intense compared to the first book, and definitely more mature. As a child I loved it, and of course didn't pick up on all the "anti-Christian propaganda" that most readers comment on. For me, it was just a continuation of a fascinating story. I found that it was a satisfying, if sad, conclusion. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
I finished the His Dark Materials series thanks to sheer dogged willpower. By the second book, both the world-building and characterization begins to unravel (as is evidenced by the dearth of new interesting characters and the inconsistent, inexplicable mishandling of the personalities of a good deal of the old ones) and the relentless invocations of the false dualities of knowledge vs. faith / good vs. evil / etc. were yawn-worthy. Much of what made the trilogy on the whole so intolerable was Pullman's relentless anti-Christian polemic - there are ways to write books which are critical of religious institutions / authorities without being so blatantly offensive (and, I would add, unimaginative.) If you're going to brazenly swipe from great works of literature such as Paradise Lost (as Pullman admits to in his afterword) then I'd expect the final product to be a little less sloppy and boring. Ultimately, whatever promise this series had in The Golden Compass was thoroughly stomped out of it by the third book, with the copious references to Biblical themes or stories (appropriating the very thing you're trying to critique as a way of ennobling it??) and the unsatisfying, overly simplistic ending which betrays Pullman's limited grasp on either theology or physics. ( )
  milkyfangs | Jun 30, 2014 |
I'm about half way through this book and it has been sitting on a shelf for the longest time (probably at least 2 years?) because I just haven't gotten up the gumption to finish it. Perhaps its that its "YA" but there is just way too much going on and its written such that I really don't care to know each character individually - in fact that is the problem right there. I don't feel like the books have instilled in me an attachment to the characters. Thus I haven't finished the last one because I'm not overly interested in what happens. It is really rare for me to not finish a book once I have started it.

I have definitely started series and not finished them because I feel like they just weren't for me. But to get so far in a book and just stop I rarely do. I think there are way too many mystical things in these books and just as many half explanations.

So I'm going against the grain here when I say overall I wouldn't recommend this series to anyone since I know the general consensus has been that they were good books. Then I stop and think - if they were so good - why are there so many copies in my local bookstores? (Personally when I love a book I never give it up - it sits on my shelf waiting for a re-read).

Ok, I'll stop my ranting. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
In the conclusion to the trilogy, the ultimate battle is waged between those who believe in knowledge and those who believe in the power of God and the Church. Meanwhile, Will and Lyra are fighting their own battle through the land of the dead, determined to free the souls who are trapped there using the power of the Subtle Knife. In the end, Will and Lyra are faced with a decision that will change their lives forever. "The Amber Spyglass" definitely makes the reader think about the implications of religion and morality on human beings and the question of free will. I'm still amazed that these books were geared towards juvenile readers considering its weighty subject. That being said, Pullman's excellent writing brings a satisfying and poignant conclusion to this trilogy. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 29, 2014 |
bought 27/02/2009, 60RMB ( )
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
And as the bumpy journey among these dark materials comes to an end, there is the most moving of scenes: all fantasy subdued and only human frailty revealed in the real world of Oxford's Botanic Garden.

Pullman, PhilipAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bruno, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pullman, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scutt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The morning comes, the night decays, the watchmen leave their stations;
The grave is burst, the spices shed, the linen wrapped up;
The bones of death, the cov'ring clay the sinews shrunk & dry'd
Reviving shake, inspiring move, breathing, awakening,
Spring like redeemed captives when their bonds & bars are burst.
Let the slave grinding at the mill run out into the field,
Let him look up into the heavens & laugh in the bright air;
Let the inchained soul, shut up in darkness and in sighing,
Whose face has never seen a smile in thirty weary years,
Rise and look out; his chains are loose, his dungeon doors are open;
And let his wife and children return from the oppressor's scourge.
They look behind at every step & believe it is a dream,
Singing: "The Sun has let his blackness & has found a fresher morning,
And the fair Moon rejoices in the clear & cloudless night;
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease."

-- from "America: A Prophecy" by William Blake
O stars,
isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? Doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from pure constellations?

-- from "The Third Elegy" by Ranier Maria Rilke
Fine vapors escape from whatever is doing the living.
The night is cold and delicate and full of angels
Pounding down the living. The factories are all lit up,
The chime goes unheard.
We are together at last, though far apart.

-- from "The Ecclesiast" by John Ashbery
O tell of His might, O sing of His grace,
Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space,
His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

Robert Grant, from Hymns Ancient and Modern.
In a valley shaded with rhododendrons, close to the snow line, where a stream milky with melt-water splashed and where doves and linnets flew among the immense pines, lay a cave, half-hidden by the crag above and the stiff heavy leaves that clustered below.
I used to be a nun, you see. I thought physics could be done to the glory of God, till I saw there wasn't any God at all and that physics was more interesting anyway. The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all.
The unabridged audio recording is narrated by a full cast, so there are a large number of narrators.
In the astonishing finale to the His Dark Materials trilogy, Lyra and Will are in unspeakable danger. With help from Iorek Byrnison the armored bear and two tiny Gallivespian spies, they must journey to a dank and gray-lit world where no living soul has ever gone. All the while, Dr. Mary Malone builds a magnificent Amber Spyglass. An assassin hunts her down, and Lord Asriel, with a troop of shining angels, fights his mighty rebellion, in a battle of strange allies—and shocking sacrifice.

As war rages and Dust drains from the sky, the fate of the living—and the dead—finally comes to depend on two children and the simple truth of one simple story.
Heroine suffers.
But in the end it's only
Midi-chlorians.
(Noisy)

Lyra and Will find themselves at the center of a battle between the forces of the Authority and those gathered by Lyra's father, Lord Asriel.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible