Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran…

Everything Is Illuminated (2002)

by Jonathan Safran Foer

Recently added byprivate library, MarshallNichols, rena75, dkinggallery, alkav

English (210)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (224)
Avevo delle aspettative altissime nei confronti di questo libro, forse troppo. Ho amato da impazzire "Molto forte, incredibilmente vicino" che mi ha emozionato, mi ha fatto ridere e mi ha commosso e pensavo che questo fosse ancora meglio e invece non l'ho proprio capito.
Non mi entusiasmato la storia (Jonathan Safran Foer, impersonando un probabile se stesso, visita l'Ucraina per trovare una certa Augustine, la donna che potrebbe aver salvato suo nonno dai nazist) e non mi ha entusiasmato questo continuo alternarsi e confondersi di passato e presente, di storia, di lettere e di narrazioni buttate a caso.
So che andrò contro corrente ma davvero non l'ho capito, non mi è piaciuto e ho fatto una fatica pazzesca a finirlo e questo mi è spiaciuto parecchio :( ( )
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
The New Yorker published an abbreviated excerpt from this book and my family thought I had gone insane because I was laughing so hard. The book has longer periods between the hilarity, but it's brilliant.

If you like books with people who look at Americans in a funny way while they speak English with cultural hilarity, you'll enjoy this one. ( )
1 vote ChristinaGoebel | Mar 30, 2019 |
I can acknowledge that this book is unique and creative, funny and moving at times, and for that I am giving it two stars instead of one, but I just did not like the overall effect. I never got drawn into the story or found myself wanting to get back to the book once I put it down. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
I admit when I first began reading this book, I was confused. I almost stopped reading, but luckily I stayed with it. It is broken into three different chapter types: letters from Alex after Jonathan visited, Alex's story detailing Jonathan's visit, and Jonathan's novel about his ancestors. These chapters rotate, and it was a lot of fun jumping back and forth between the stories. As one reviewer already mentioned, Alex's letters repeated quite a bit from Jonathan's stories, and this was slightly annoying, but it didn't ruin the book for me. All of the stories were very interesting, although Jonathan's stories remained fairly confusing throughout the novel, but I learned to just go with it, and I really enjoyed this book. I would definitely read it again. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
1.5 stars

I don’t even have a summary. There was a Ukrainian translator with horrible English. There was an author visiting Ukraine, who met up with the translator and they, along with the translator’s grandfather were looking for a village that didn’t seem to exist, so it seemed. And, throughout the book, some chapters backed up in time to Jewish people starting in the 1700s, but I never quite figured out what was going on there, as the time jumped forward in other chapters; at some point it was during WWII. Apparently, these were ancestors of the author (the author character, not the actual author)?

This was weird. It is going to be my lowest rated book of the year (I think this is only the 2nd book, ever, I’ve rated less than 2 stars). I couldn’t figure out how the translator could even be a translator with his awful English; the author had the same name as the actual author of the book, Jonathan Safran Foer, so that simply confused me for ages. There were other odd parts written like a play or written like Bible verses. Weird. Not good. At all. It’s too bad – I think the only other book I’ve read by this author (nonfiction) made it on my favourites list for that year. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 16, 2018 |

Foer, Jonathan Safranprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abelsen, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bocchiola, MassimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shina, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simply and impossibly: For My Family
My legal name is Alexander Perchov.
One day you will do things for me that you hate. That is what it means to be family.
The only thing worse than being sad is for others to know that you are sad.
What is wrong with you?
Nothing, I just don't eat meat!
Grandfather informs me that is not possible.
With writing, we have second chances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060529709, Paperback)

The simplest thing would be to describe Everything Is Illuminated, Jonathan Safran Foer's accomplished debut, as a novel about the Holocaust. It is, but that really fails to do justice to the sheer ambition of this book. The main story is a grimly familiar one. A young Jewish American--who just happens to be called Jonathan Safran Foer--travels to the Ukraine in the hope of finding the woman who saved his grandfather from the Nazis. He is aided in his search by Alex Perchov, a naïve Ukrainian translator, Alex's grandfather (also called Alex), and a flatulent mongrel dog named Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. On their journey through Eastern Europe's obliterated landscape they unearth facts about the Nazi atrocities and the extent of Ukrainian complicity that have implications for Perchov as well as Safran Foer. This narrative is not, however, recounted from (the character) Jonathan Safran Foer's perspective. It is relayed through a series of letters that Alex sends to Foer. These are written in the kind of broken Russo-English normally reserved for Bond villains or Latka from Taxi. Interspersed between these letters are fragments of a novel by Safran Foer--a wonderfully imagined, almost magical realist, account of life in the shtetl before the Nazis destroyed it. These are in turn commented on by Alex, creating an additional metafictional angle to the tale.

If all this sounds a little daunting, don't be put off; Safran Foer is an extremely funny as well as intelligent writer who combines some of the best Jewish folk yarns since Isaac Bashevis Singer with a quite heartbreaking meditation on love, friendship, and loss. --Travis Elborough, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:46 -0400)

Hilarious, energetic, and profoundly touching, a debut novel follows a young writer as he travels to the farmlands of Eastern Europe, where he embarks on a quest to find Augustine, the woman who saved his grandfather from the Nazis, and, guided by his young Ukrainian translator, he discovers an unexpected past that will resonate far into the future. With only a yellowing photograph in hand, a young man, also named Jonathan Safran Foer, sets out to find the woman who may or may not have saved his grandfather from the Nazis. Accompanied by an old man haunted by memories of the war; an amorous dog named Sammy Davis, Junior, Junior; and the unforgettable Alex, a young Ukrainian translator who speaks in a sublimely butchered English, Jonathan is led on a quixotic journey over a devastated landscape and into an unexpected past. By turns comic and tragic, but always passionate, wildly inventive, and touched with an indelible humanity, this debut novel is a powerful, deeply felt story of searching: for the past, family, and truth.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141008253, 0141037326

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,220,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible