Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Still Missing

by Chevy Stevens

Room by Emma Donoghue (cafepithecus)
    The Collector by John Fowles (avalon_today)
    I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I've read both -and enjoyed them very much. They are different -but also have much in common.
    Nine and a Half Weeks: A Memoir of a Love Affair by Elizabeth McNeill (dara85)
    The Surrogate by Tania Carver (maralee)

English (142)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  All languages (152)
I read the opening chapters but decided to pass on buying. However, three weeks later, I'm stilling thinking about it. I went back and bought it. A chiller. Good debut novel. Twists and turns in plot, surprise ending. ( )
  melsbks | Aug 26, 2014 |
couldn't put this book down!!! lots of suspense, well developed characters and really good writing!!!! if you are looking for a good thriller, this is it!!! ( )
  amanaceerdh | Apr 22, 2014 |
Listened for Book Club (Audible/DFWTea)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.00

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Still Missing by Chevy Stevens was a story that I wasn't sure where was going and the end kind of left me speechless!

Book Club Thoughts: Big hit with the group. The end all made us gasp. We were disturbed by several characters and we all had different theories going into the last few chapters. We all agreed that was a good sign of a great thriller when you can't decide who did it or why! Overall it was a huge hit with the book club and many of us have already moved on to book 2.

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed (maybe not the right word) Still Missing. It was twisty, turny, disturbing, off-kilter, and uniquely written. The format played as much in my interest in the story as the characters did. I can't even imagine going through what Annie did and surviving. The fact that you get to see her broken, resilient, and healing through her psych sessions just draws you in more to the story. Plus it was a brilliant way to tell a story in two time frames! The characters (all of them) were fascinating. There was no black/white here except for one character (the kidnapper). Every person was complicated, intriguing, and had their own stuff to work through with Annie's ordeal. At the heart, this is a thriller and it will keep you guessing till the end.

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Angela Dawe / Length: 9 hrs and 6 mins

Angela "freaking" Dawe knocked it out of the park. Yes, I admit I am a fan girl of her narration. I highly recommend this one on audio.

Book Club Read for DFWTea for Feb 2014 ( )
  thehistorychic | Mar 12, 2014 |
This is the first Chevy Stevens book I have read,
It takes a while to get into the flow.
OK book Annie is an estate agent gets abducted held hostage raped and nearly every day for a year, She gave birth to a baby that died. Escapes goes to the Police turns out her Mum set it up as she has debts but it got out way out of hand. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jan 23, 2014 |
Brilliant debut novel! Well developed characters with an explosive, suspenseful plot! ( )
  SweetReaderMA | Dec 29, 2013 |
Stevens’ gripping debut novel starts at the end of Annie’s year-long ordeal, during which she was the physical and psychological captive of a blithe psychopath at his remote mountain cabin.. Stevens already has the goods for a strong career in psychological suspense.

The debut novel from local author Chevy Stevens, Still Missing is the story of a young female realtor who gets abducted by a psychopath with a wide range of creepy obsessions. Drugged and tossed in the back of a van, Annie O’Sullivan is held captive in a remote cabin on Vancouver Island... All in all, Stevens has given us a remarkably accomplished first novel.

Chevy Stevensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, who gave me an imagination.
You know, Doc, you're not the first shrink I've seen since I got back.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312595670, Hardcover)

Product Description
On the day she was abducted, Annie O’Sullivan, a 32-year-old realtor, had three goals—sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she's about to leave, Annie thinks it just might be her lucky day after all.

Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent as the captive of a psychopath in a remote mountain cabin, which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist, is a second narrative recounting events following her escape—her struggle to piece her shattered life back together and the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor.

Still Missing is that rare debut find--a shocking, visceral, brutal and beautifully crafted debut novel.

Amazon Exclusive: Lisa Gardner Reviews Still Missing

New York Times bestselling crime novelist Lisa Gardner began her career in food service, but after her hair caught on fire numerous times she took the hint and focused on writing instead. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in police procedure, cutting edge forensics, and twisted plots into a streak of 11 bestselling suspense novels, including her most recent release, The Neighbor. Read her guest review of Still Missing:

Heading to a beach? Boy do I have the book for you!

Every now and then a new author comes along that totally knocks one out of the park. As a reader, I’m always thrilled to discover a great new voice. As a writer, of course I’m insanely jealous and suffer a terrible case of why-didn’t-I-think-of-that? Given that debut author Chevy Stevens is young, beautiful and talented, I’ve been gnashing my teeth for months!

Still Missing represents psychological suspense at its very best. Realtor Annie O’Sullivan is abducted from an open house and held captive for a year in a remote cabin by a sadistic survivalist who considers her to be his wife as well as preferred breeding stock. His goal is to get her pregnant and live creepily-ever-after as the last man and woman on earth. Her goal is to get away from him.

Now, you know Annie wins this war as the book opens with her talking to a therapist. So you may ask, where is the suspense? I can’t give you a simple answer to that, other than to say every page crackles with it.

Still Missing creates one of the most haunting narratives I’ve read in years. On the one hand, survivor Annie is tough, angry, and brittle. The very worst has happened to her, and she escaped through her own ingenuity and frankly, savagery. On the other hand, survivor Annie is jumpy, terrified, and sleep-deprived. All these months later, she still can’t pee “off schedule.” In one of the more moving scenes of the novel, she downs a gallon of iced tea in order to force herself to urinate by her own free will. She can’t do it.

In addition to her compelling heroine, Stevens has created one of the best psychopaths since Hannibal Lecter—and that’s not something I say lightly. Annie refers to her captor simply as The Freak. Much like Hannibal, The Freak considers himself to be a civilized human being. Intelligent, good looking and resourceful, he’s an excellent “husband.” He has provided a charming cabin. He supplies fresh food—sometimes so fresh that city slicker Annie must bleed it out first, but details, details. Of course he has expectations of his wife. She must be well groomed, properly garbed, and 100% submissive. All failures to comply are met with The Freak’s idea of appropriate punishment. The Freak is also thoughtful and tender. Want to stop sleeping for a few nights? Read the scene where The Freak first shaves Annie. And he means it in the nicest sort of way.

Stevens skillfully juxtaposes the back story of Annie’s captivity with the front story of a woman desperately trying to reclaim her old life. As with all great suspense novels, the surprises abound. Annie thought she’d survived the worst with The Freak. But has she?

As the taut cat and mouse game unfolds, you will cheer for Annie. You will hate The Freak. And you will be absolutely mesmerized by the last line of this novel. Then, most likely, you will return to page one, and start it all over again.

So give yourself a summer vacation. Check out debut author Chevy Stevens, and soon you will be Still Missing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:40 -0400)

Captured by a psychopath posing as an interested house buyer, realtor Annie spends a brutally traumatic year in captivity in a remote mountain cabin and recounts her experiences and dramatic escape to her therapist while agonizing over the ongoing policesearch for her captor.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,734,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible