Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Still Missing

by Chevy Stevens

Room by Emma Donoghue (cafepithecus)
    The Collector by John Fowles (avalon_today)
    I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I've read both -and enjoyed them very much. They are different -but also have much in common.
    Nine and a Half Weeks by Elizabeth McNeill (dara85)
    The Surrogate by Tania Carver (maralee)

English (170)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  All (180)
This thriller is narrated by Annie O'Sullivan, a moderately successful real estate agent, who is describing her abduction and year long captivity to her psychiatrist. She tells her therapist what transpired over the course of her kidnapping and eventual escape. Her kidnapper, referred to as “The Freak” throughout the book, subjects her to an abusive set of rules, including nightly rapes, how often she can go to the bathroom, and what time she can eat.

We know from the beginning of the novel that Annie escapes, but I was very interested in how she finally found her way out. The facts surrounding that, as well as how she was even abducted in the first place, made for a fascinating story. In this respect I couldn't put the book down. The author made Annie both sympathetic and bitterly unpleasant. I thought that worked in this particular case because I can't imagine going through what Annie did and not being resentful and angry afterwards.

While I thought this was a very mesmerizing story I can't recommend it to everyone. The rape scenes and scenes involving the butchering of animals were extremely difficult for me to get through. In fact, I specifically returned the audiobook and checked out the ebook so I could skim over some of those details. Nevertheless, I couldn't put the book down. It's a very impressive debut novel and I will definitely read more books by Chevy Stevens. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 10, 2017 |
This one appealed to me because I am in the same business as the main character and over the years, warnings and seminars on this topic regarding women alone at open houses and showings of vacant houses has been a hot topic since an agent was attacked, abducted and killed in our region. This would be so unbelievable of a story, excepting that similar horror stories have been in the news so the whole story of being abducted and presumed dead and then being found a year or more later isn't so unbelievable anymore however, although still heartwrenching. This story had a few twists which kept me on the edge of my seat. At about chapter 19 I thought I figured it out and was only partially correct which left me numb with disbelief as the book reached its climax. Great audio, well told - with truly believable characters. Couldn't turn it off until the final word... definitely recommend this one - great mystery with a twist. Bitter sweet ( )
  booklovers2 | Nov 30, 2016 |
This book was definitely tension-packed and the twists kept coming right up until the end. I was warned that some parts of this book were brutal and that was an accurate warning. This was a fast, entertaining read. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
As I was listening to this I realized I had read it before. But it was still good the second time around. There are lots of twists and turns and the person who is behind Annie's abduction will surprise you. It really shows how messed up your life can become with one incident. I found this book really fascinating and disturbing. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |
I liked this book, although the end did not satisfy me. At some point it was quite obvious to me, don’t know what others thought. It could have been so much more.

nicely written
interesting plot

- highly unlikely ending
  Chiffongurl | Jun 16, 2016 |
Stevens’ gripping debut novel starts at the end of Annie’s year-long ordeal, during which she was the physical and psychological captive of a blithe psychopath at his remote mountain cabin.. Stevens already has the goods for a strong career in psychological suspense.

The debut novel from local author Chevy Stevens, Still Missing is the story of a young female realtor who gets abducted by a psychopath with a wide range of creepy obsessions. Drugged and tossed in the back of a van, Annie O’Sullivan is held captive in a remote cabin on Vancouver Island... All in all, Stevens has given us a remarkably accomplished first novel.

Chevy Stevensprimary authorall editionscalculated
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, who gave me an imagination.
You know, Doc, you're not the first shrink I've seen since I got back.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312595670, Hardcover)

Product Description
On the day she was abducted, Annie O’Sullivan, a 32-year-old realtor, had three goals—sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she's about to leave, Annie thinks it just might be her lucky day after all.

Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent as the captive of a psychopath in a remote mountain cabin, which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist, is a second narrative recounting events following her escape—her struggle to piece her shattered life back together and the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor.

Still Missing is that rare debut find--a shocking, visceral, brutal and beautifully crafted debut novel.

Amazon Exclusive: Lisa Gardner Reviews Still Missing

New York Times bestselling crime novelist Lisa Gardner began her career in food service, but after her hair caught on fire numerous times she took the hint and focused on writing instead. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in police procedure, cutting edge forensics, and twisted plots into a streak of 11 bestselling suspense novels, including her most recent release, The Neighbor. Read her guest review of Still Missing:

Heading to a beach? Boy do I have the book for you!

Every now and then a new author comes along that totally knocks one out of the park. As a reader, I’m always thrilled to discover a great new voice. As a writer, of course I’m insanely jealous and suffer a terrible case of why-didn’t-I-think-of-that? Given that debut author Chevy Stevens is young, beautiful and talented, I’ve been gnashing my teeth for months!

Still Missing represents psychological suspense at its very best. Realtor Annie O’Sullivan is abducted from an open house and held captive for a year in a remote cabin by a sadistic survivalist who considers her to be his wife as well as preferred breeding stock. His goal is to get her pregnant and live creepily-ever-after as the last man and woman on earth. Her goal is to get away from him.

Now, you know Annie wins this war as the book opens with her talking to a therapist. So you may ask, where is the suspense? I can’t give you a simple answer to that, other than to say every page crackles with it.

Still Missing creates one of the most haunting narratives I’ve read in years. On the one hand, survivor Annie is tough, angry, and brittle. The very worst has happened to her, and she escaped through her own ingenuity and frankly, savagery. On the other hand, survivor Annie is jumpy, terrified, and sleep-deprived. All these months later, she still can’t pee “off schedule.” In one of the more moving scenes of the novel, she downs a gallon of iced tea in order to force herself to urinate by her own free will. She can’t do it.

In addition to her compelling heroine, Stevens has created one of the best psychopaths since Hannibal Lecter—and that’s not something I say lightly. Annie refers to her captor simply as The Freak. Much like Hannibal, The Freak considers himself to be a civilized human being. Intelligent, good looking and resourceful, he’s an excellent “husband.” He has provided a charming cabin. He supplies fresh food—sometimes so fresh that city slicker Annie must bleed it out first, but details, details. Of course he has expectations of his wife. She must be well groomed, properly garbed, and 100% submissive. All failures to comply are met with The Freak’s idea of appropriate punishment. The Freak is also thoughtful and tender. Want to stop sleeping for a few nights? Read the scene where The Freak first shaves Annie. And he means it in the nicest sort of way.

Stevens skillfully juxtaposes the back story of Annie’s captivity with the front story of a woman desperately trying to reclaim her old life. As with all great suspense novels, the surprises abound. Annie thought she’d survived the worst with The Freak. But has she?

As the taut cat and mouse game unfolds, you will cheer for Annie. You will hate The Freak. And you will be absolutely mesmerized by the last line of this novel. Then, most likely, you will return to page one, and start it all over again.

So give yourself a summer vacation. Check out debut author Chevy Stevens, and soon you will be Still Missing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:26 -0400)

Captured by a psychopath posing as an interested house buyer, realtor Annie spends a brutally traumatic year in captivity in a remote mountain cabin and recounts her experiences and dramatic escape to her therapist while agonizing over the ongoing policesearch for her captor.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,788,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible