Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Still Missing

by Chevy Stevens

Room by Emma Donoghue (cafepithecus)
    The Collector by John Fowles (avalon_today)
    I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I've read both -and enjoyed them very much. They are different -but also have much in common.
    Nine and a Half Weeks: A Memoir of a Love Affair by Elizabeth McNeill (dara85)
    The Surrogate by Tania Carver (maralee)

English (153)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  All languages (163)
Se volete leggere un VERO thriller questo non potete farvelo scappare. ( )
  Angela.Me | Nov 9, 2015 |
The story is told like we're either Annie's therapist, or in the room during the sessions. I loved this set up for the novel. This way, Annie went over what happened leading up to the abduction, the kidnapping itself, being held against her will for a year, and her difficulties trying to assimilate back to real life. Nothing is linear - some sessions deal with her adjusting, some focus on her trying to figure out why she was kidnapped and who the man was. We're right along with her as new developments come up in her case, and the resolution is the case's closing. Very well-written and suspenseful. It sucked me in, and I found myself thinking about it whenever I wasn't reading it. I'm still thinking about it, really. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Really enjoyed this twisted story. ( )
  Jodeneg | Oct 23, 2015 |
This is going to be a short review because I don’t want to give anything away so you can read it yourself.

I really enjoyed this one! The reveal of who was behind it all shocked me completely and that doesn’t happen often, so Kudos to the author!

Annie was kidnapped and held prisoner by a sadistic rapist for a year, when she finally gets away and gets home there are so many unanswered questions, like why did the Freak (as she calls him) pick her, how does he have a picture of her, how does he know so many details about her life, friends and family, and was he working alone. Annie of course is having trouble dealing with life outside of captivity but she doesn’t want to burden anyone so suffers alone, however she is finally seeing a psychiatrist and we get an inside look into what the Freak did to her and all that happened in captivity during her sessions. As the story unfolds you totally understand why Annie is having a hard time adjusting and feeling safe.

Angela Dawe’s narration was really good she gave everyone a distinct voice and didn’t get too shrilly when Annie was dealing with things which I was happy about. This was the second book I’ve listened to by this narrator that I really enjoyed so I will definitely listen to her again.

I highly recommend this book, I enjoyed the authors writing style and how she kept the suspense going throughout the book. I have already put her newest book on hold and will be working my way through everything she has written.

4 Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Oct 7, 2015 |
Characters were rather one-dimensional, but the plot was enough to keep me reading. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Stevens’ gripping debut novel starts at the end of Annie’s year-long ordeal, during which she was the physical and psychological captive of a blithe psychopath at his remote mountain cabin.. Stevens already has the goods for a strong career in psychological suspense.
The debut novel from local author Chevy Stevens, Still Missing is the story of a young female realtor who gets abducted by a psychopath with a wide range of creepy obsessions. Drugged and tossed in the back of a van, Annie O’Sullivan is held captive in a remote cabin on Vancouver Island... All in all, Stevens has given us a remarkably accomplished first novel.

Chevy Stevensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, who gave me an imagination.
You know, Doc, you're not the first shrink I've seen since I got back.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312595670, Hardcover)

Product Description
On the day she was abducted, Annie O’Sullivan, a 32-year-old realtor, had three goals—sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she's about to leave, Annie thinks it just might be her lucky day after all.

Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent as the captive of a psychopath in a remote mountain cabin, which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist, is a second narrative recounting events following her escape—her struggle to piece her shattered life back together and the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor.

Still Missing is that rare debut find--a shocking, visceral, brutal and beautifully crafted debut novel.

Amazon Exclusive: Lisa Gardner Reviews Still Missing

New York Times bestselling crime novelist Lisa Gardner began her career in food service, but after her hair caught on fire numerous times she took the hint and focused on writing instead. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in police procedure, cutting edge forensics, and twisted plots into a streak of 11 bestselling suspense novels, including her most recent release, The Neighbor. Read her guest review of Still Missing:

Heading to a beach? Boy do I have the book for you!

Every now and then a new author comes along that totally knocks one out of the park. As a reader, I’m always thrilled to discover a great new voice. As a writer, of course I’m insanely jealous and suffer a terrible case of why-didn’t-I-think-of-that? Given that debut author Chevy Stevens is young, beautiful and talented, I’ve been gnashing my teeth for months!

Still Missing represents psychological suspense at its very best. Realtor Annie O’Sullivan is abducted from an open house and held captive for a year in a remote cabin by a sadistic survivalist who considers her to be his wife as well as preferred breeding stock. His goal is to get her pregnant and live creepily-ever-after as the last man and woman on earth. Her goal is to get away from him.

Now, you know Annie wins this war as the book opens with her talking to a therapist. So you may ask, where is the suspense? I can’t give you a simple answer to that, other than to say every page crackles with it.

Still Missing creates one of the most haunting narratives I’ve read in years. On the one hand, survivor Annie is tough, angry, and brittle. The very worst has happened to her, and she escaped through her own ingenuity and frankly, savagery. On the other hand, survivor Annie is jumpy, terrified, and sleep-deprived. All these months later, she still can’t pee “off schedule.” In one of the more moving scenes of the novel, she downs a gallon of iced tea in order to force herself to urinate by her own free will. She can’t do it.

In addition to her compelling heroine, Stevens has created one of the best psychopaths since Hannibal Lecter—and that’s not something I say lightly. Annie refers to her captor simply as The Freak. Much like Hannibal, The Freak considers himself to be a civilized human being. Intelligent, good looking and resourceful, he’s an excellent “husband.” He has provided a charming cabin. He supplies fresh food—sometimes so fresh that city slicker Annie must bleed it out first, but details, details. Of course he has expectations of his wife. She must be well groomed, properly garbed, and 100% submissive. All failures to comply are met with The Freak’s idea of appropriate punishment. The Freak is also thoughtful and tender. Want to stop sleeping for a few nights? Read the scene where The Freak first shaves Annie. And he means it in the nicest sort of way.

Stevens skillfully juxtaposes the back story of Annie’s captivity with the front story of a woman desperately trying to reclaim her old life. As with all great suspense novels, the surprises abound. Annie thought she’d survived the worst with The Freak. But has she?

As the taut cat and mouse game unfolds, you will cheer for Annie. You will hate The Freak. And you will be absolutely mesmerized by the last line of this novel. Then, most likely, you will return to page one, and start it all over again.

So give yourself a summer vacation. Check out debut author Chevy Stevens, and soon you will be Still Missing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:26 -0400)

Captured by a psychopath posing as an interested house buyer, realtor Annie spends a brutally traumatic year in captivity in a remote mountain cabin and recounts her experiences and dramatic escape to her therapist while agonizing over the ongoing policesearch for her captor.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,890,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible