Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Still Missing

by Chevy Stevens

Recently added byprivate library, KimSalyers, mrsreadsbooks, JennysBookBag.com, sstrader, Rena37, bethking1
    Room by Emma Donoghue (cafepithecus)
    The Collector by John Fowles (avalon_today)
    I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I've read both -and enjoyed them very much. They are different -but also have much in common.
    Nine and a Half Weeks by Elizabeth McNeill (dara85)
    The Surrogate by Tania Carver (maralee)

English (168)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  All languages (178)
This book was definitely tension-packed and the twists kept coming right up until the end. I was warned that some parts of this book were brutal and that was an accurate warning. This was a fast, entertaining read. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
As I was listening to this I realized I had read it before. But it was still good the second time around. There are lots of twists and turns and the person who is behind Annie's abduction will surprise you. It really shows how messed up your life can become with one incident. I found this book really fascinating and disturbing. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |
I liked this book, although the end did not satisfy me. At some point it was quite obvious to me, don’t know what others thought. It could have been so much more.

nicely written
interesting plot

- highly unlikely ending
  Chiffongurl | Jun 16, 2016 |
Review: Still Missing by Chevy Stevens.

This book was an absolute page turner and insightful heartfelt story. The main character, a thirty-two year old realtor narrated the story to her therapist with anger, and mixed emotions page after page. There were parts where she was recounting what had happened to her that were bone chilling and clearly believable as written. I’ll give it a four star for keeping me interest but the ending is was slightly strange to sallow….

Anne O’Sullivan was doing her job as a realtor; she was having an open-house to potential buyers. When her day was over she began closing up the house when one more prospect buyer drove up and she felt that it wouldn’t hurt to show it to one more person. However, that was the biggest mistake she could have imagined when she was attacked by this stranger and woke up tied to a bed in a cabin having no idea how she got there or where she was….

As it was her abductor which, she calls, “The Freak”, seemed to know anything about her and apparently the kidnapper planed ahead of time by the appearance of the cabin. There were no windows and multiple locks on everything in sight. The “Freak” had very strict rules for her to follow right down to the times she could go to the bathroom. If she went to the bathroom not on his schedule he forced her to drink out of the toilet. She was in captivity for a very long time and even gave birth to his child. There are many twist and turn throughout her captivity that kept her confined and obedient to his wishes and commands. Plus, there were plenty of events of abuse to keep the reader turning the pages.

Chevy Stevens excels at the descriptions and thought process of the two main characters throughout the story. Where she really takes it to the next level is in the second part of the book. The rest of the novel seems almost distorted and makes the reader start to revisit what apparently occurred to Anne up to this point and try to figure out what was real and what might have been imagination. Part of Anne from the tragic events she had undergone and her search for the reasons behind her abduction may reveal answers she is not prepared for. Even though I was honestly shocked at the bizarre ending and what took place I still thought the book was compelling. After reading the book I asked myself, “Could this really be a believable story if true”, “Are there people out there who would do this to a love one”, “Could Anne’s attitude been any different after what she endured”???
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Page turner! ( )
  trishproper | Feb 24, 2016 |
Stevens’ gripping debut novel starts at the end of Annie’s year-long ordeal, during which she was the physical and psychological captive of a blithe psychopath at his remote mountain cabin.. Stevens already has the goods for a strong career in psychological suspense.
The debut novel from local author Chevy Stevens, Still Missing is the story of a young female realtor who gets abducted by a psychopath with a wide range of creepy obsessions. Drugged and tossed in the back of a van, Annie O’Sullivan is held captive in a remote cabin on Vancouver Island... All in all, Stevens has given us a remarkably accomplished first novel.

Chevy Stevensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, who gave me an imagination.
You know, Doc, you're not the first shrink I've seen since I got back.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312595670, Hardcover)

Product Description
On the day she was abducted, Annie O’Sullivan, a 32-year-old realtor, had three goals—sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she's about to leave, Annie thinks it just might be her lucky day after all.

Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent as the captive of a psychopath in a remote mountain cabin, which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist, is a second narrative recounting events following her escape—her struggle to piece her shattered life back together and the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor.

Still Missing is that rare debut find--a shocking, visceral, brutal and beautifully crafted debut novel.

Amazon Exclusive: Lisa Gardner Reviews Still Missing

New York Times bestselling crime novelist Lisa Gardner began her career in food service, but after her hair caught on fire numerous times she took the hint and focused on writing instead. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in police procedure, cutting edge forensics, and twisted plots into a streak of 11 bestselling suspense novels, including her most recent release, The Neighbor. Read her guest review of Still Missing:

Heading to a beach? Boy do I have the book for you!

Every now and then a new author comes along that totally knocks one out of the park. As a reader, I’m always thrilled to discover a great new voice. As a writer, of course I’m insanely jealous and suffer a terrible case of why-didn’t-I-think-of-that? Given that debut author Chevy Stevens is young, beautiful and talented, I’ve been gnashing my teeth for months!

Still Missing represents psychological suspense at its very best. Realtor Annie O’Sullivan is abducted from an open house and held captive for a year in a remote cabin by a sadistic survivalist who considers her to be his wife as well as preferred breeding stock. His goal is to get her pregnant and live creepily-ever-after as the last man and woman on earth. Her goal is to get away from him.

Now, you know Annie wins this war as the book opens with her talking to a therapist. So you may ask, where is the suspense? I can’t give you a simple answer to that, other than to say every page crackles with it.

Still Missing creates one of the most haunting narratives I’ve read in years. On the one hand, survivor Annie is tough, angry, and brittle. The very worst has happened to her, and she escaped through her own ingenuity and frankly, savagery. On the other hand, survivor Annie is jumpy, terrified, and sleep-deprived. All these months later, she still can’t pee “off schedule.” In one of the more moving scenes of the novel, she downs a gallon of iced tea in order to force herself to urinate by her own free will. She can’t do it.

In addition to her compelling heroine, Stevens has created one of the best psychopaths since Hannibal Lecter—and that’s not something I say lightly. Annie refers to her captor simply as The Freak. Much like Hannibal, The Freak considers himself to be a civilized human being. Intelligent, good looking and resourceful, he’s an excellent “husband.” He has provided a charming cabin. He supplies fresh food—sometimes so fresh that city slicker Annie must bleed it out first, but details, details. Of course he has expectations of his wife. She must be well groomed, properly garbed, and 100% submissive. All failures to comply are met with The Freak’s idea of appropriate punishment. The Freak is also thoughtful and tender. Want to stop sleeping for a few nights? Read the scene where The Freak first shaves Annie. And he means it in the nicest sort of way.

Stevens skillfully juxtaposes the back story of Annie’s captivity with the front story of a woman desperately trying to reclaim her old life. As with all great suspense novels, the surprises abound. Annie thought she’d survived the worst with The Freak. But has she?

As the taut cat and mouse game unfolds, you will cheer for Annie. You will hate The Freak. And you will be absolutely mesmerized by the last line of this novel. Then, most likely, you will return to page one, and start it all over again.

So give yourself a summer vacation. Check out debut author Chevy Stevens, and soon you will be Still Missing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:26 -0400)

Captured by a psychopath posing as an interested house buyer, realtor Annie spends a brutally traumatic year in captivity in a remote mountain cabin and recounts her experiences and dramatic escape to her therapist while agonizing over the ongoing policesearch for her captor.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,689,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible