Melvil Decimal System: 189.2
Dewmoji: 💭 > 📜 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Philosophy Of Humanity
Parapsychology And Occultism
Ancient, medieval and eastern philosophy
Modern western philosophy
Sophistic and Socratic
Pyrrhonist; New Platonist
Early Christian and Medieval
Patristic: Tertullian, Augustine, Clement, Origen
Arabian: Avicenna, Averroes
Scholastic: Scotus, Aquinas, Anselm, Abelard
Mystic: Reuchlin, Cornelius Agrippa, Paracelsus, Servetus, Böhme
Works under MDS 189.2
- Gregory of Nazianzus, rhetor and philosopher by Rosemary Radford Ruether
- Augustine for the Philosophers: The Rhetor of Hippo, the Confessions, and the Continentals (Studies in Rhetoric and Religion) by Calvin L. Troup
- al-Fārābī wa-taʾsīs al-falsafah al-Islāmīyah al-siyāsīyah by Muḥsin S. Mahdī
- Introduction to St. Augustine, the City of God. Being selections from the De Civitate Dei including most of the XIXth book with text, translation and running commentary by R. H. Barrow by Augustine
- Thought's Ego in Augustine and Descartes by Gareth B. Matthews
- al-Ḥadāʾiq fī al-maṭālib al-ʻālīyah al-falsafiyah al-ʻawiṣah by Abū Muḥammad ‘Abd Allāh ibn Muḥammad ibn al-Sayyid Baṭalyawsī
- St. Augustine's Platonism by Robert J. O'Connell
- Naẓarīyāt al-tafkīr al-islāmī (al-qirāʾāt wa-al-manāhij) by Saʻīd al-Shiblī
- God, the Flesh, and the Other: From Irenaeus to Duns Scotus by Emmanuel Falque
- Die Textèuberlieferung der Bèucher des Origenes gegen Celsus in den Handschriften dieses Werkes und der Philokalia Prolegomena zu einer kritischen Ausgabe by Origines
- The path to transcendence : from philosophy to mysticism in Saint Augustine by Paul Henry
- Augustine and Philosophy by Phillip Cary
- The so-called eighth Stromateus by Clement of Alexandria : early Christian reception of Greek scientific methodology by Matyáš Havrda
- L'allegria della mente. Dialogando con Agostino by Roberta De Monticelli
- Memory in Augustine's Theological Anthropology by Paige E. Hochschild
- St. Augustine and Christian Platonism by A. H. Armstrong
- Vita di sant'Anselmo by Eadmerus
- Contra Academicos by Aurelius Augustinus
- Tutti i dialoghi by Agostino (sant')
- Augustine and academic skepticism : a philosophical study by Blake D. Dutton
- Augustine for the Philosophers: The Rhetor of Hippo, the Confessions, and the Continentals by Calvin L. Troup
- Augustine Deformed: Love, Sin, and Freedom in the Western Moral Tradition by John M. Rist
- Mawqif al-fikr al-ḥadāthī al-ʻArabī min uṣūl al-istidlāl fī al-Islām : dirāsah taḥlīlīyah naqdīyah by Muḥammad Ibn Ḥajar Quranī
- Origen, his life at Alexandria by René Cadiou
- Perception, sensibility, and moral motivation in Augustine : a stoic-platonic synthesis by Sarah Catherine Byers
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.