Melvil Decimal System: 937.060
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 📜 > ? > ? > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Ancient China to 420
Ancient Egypt to 640
Ancient Judea to 70
Ancient South Asia to 647
Mesopotamia and Iranian Plateau to 637
Europe north and west of Italian Peninsula to ca. 499
Italian Peninsula to 476 and adjacent territories to 476
Greece to 323
Ancient history in other areas
Umbria; Picenum; Sabini, etc.
Southern Italy: Campania, Samnium, Apulia, etc.
Kings 753-509 B.C.
Republic 509-31 B.C.
Conquest of Italy 509-264 B.C.
Punic wars 264-146 B.C.
Civil strife 146-21 B.C.
Empire 31 B.C.-476 A.D.
Constitutional 31 B.C.-284 A.D.
Absolute 284-476 A.D.
Division of empire 395-476 A.D.
Works under MDS 937.060
- Chronicle of the Roman Emperors: The Reign-by-Reign Record of the Rulers of Imperial Rome by Chris Scarre
- The Roman Emperors by Michael Grant
- Memoirs of My Life by Edward Gibbon
- A Scandalous History of the Roman Emperors by Anthony Blond
- Caesars' Wives: Sex, Power, and Politics in the Roman Empire by Annelise Freisenbruch
- Dark History of the Roman Emperors by Michael Kerrigan
- The Year of the Four Emperors by Kenneth Wellesley
- Keizers sterven niet in bed : van Caesar tot Romulus Augustulus, 44 v.Chr.-476 n.Chr. by Fik Meijer
- Vespasian by Barbara Levick
- Historia Augusta, Volume I (Loeb Classical Library) by David Magie
- Historia Augusta, Volume II (Loeb Classical Library) by David Magie
- A Dictionary of the Roman Empire by Matthew Bunson
- The Fate of Rome: Climate, Disease, and the End of an Empire by Kyle Harper
- The End of the Ancient World by Santo Mazzarino
- Historia Augusta, Volume III (Loeb Classical Library) by David Magie
- The Emperor Constantine by Michael Grant
- Tiberius Caesar by G. P. Baker
- Restorer of the World: The Roman Emperor Aurelian by John F. White
- Young Edward Gibbon by Professor Patricia Craddock
- The Patrician Tribune: Publius Clodius Pulcher (Studies in the History of Greece and Rome) by W. Jeffrey Tatum
- Maximinus Thrax by Paul N. Pearson;
- The Transformation of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by David P. Womersley
- Die römischen Kaiser. 55 historische Portraits von Caesar bis Iustinian by Manfred Clauss
- Lives of the Caesars by Anthony Barrett
- Die Kaiserinnen Roms by Hildegard Temporini-Gräfin Vitzthum
- Patricians and Emperors: The Last Rulers of the Western Roman Empire by Ian Hughes
- Historia Augusta: Scriptores Historiae Augustae, Volume III (The Two Valerians, the Two Gallieni, the Thirty Pretenders, the Deified Claudius, the ... Pro )(Loeb Classical Library No. 263) by David Magie
- Lives of the Caesars ; On teachers of grammar and rhetoric by Suetonius
- A Pocket Dictionary of Roman Emperors (Getty Trust Publications: J. Paul Getty Museum) by Paul Roberts
- Commodus: An Emperor at the Crossroads (Dutch Monographs on Ancient History and Archaeology) by Olivier Hekster
- Suetonius the Biographer: Studies in Roman Lives by Tristan Power
- Barbarism and Religion: Volume 6, Barbarism: Triumph in the West by J. G. A. Pocock
- Youth in the Roman Empire: The Young and the Restless Years? by Christian Laes
- Kaiser von morgens bis abends : ein Tag an der Spitze des Römischen Reiches by Jörg Fündling
- Barbarism and religion: vol I: The Enlightenments of Edward Gibbon, 1737-1764 by J. G. A. Pocock
- Hail Caesar by Phil Grabsky
- Coniuratio ad principem occidendum faciendumque : Der erfolgreiche Staatsstreich gegen Commodus und die Regentschaft des Helvius Pertinax (192/193 n. Chr.) by paseksteve
- The Untold History of the Roman Emperors (History Exposed) by Michael Kerrigan
- I dodici cesari: dal mito alla realta by Régis F. Martin
- Scriptores historiae Augustae. Addenda et Corrigenda adiecerunt ch. samberger et W. Seyfarth / Volumen I, by Ernestus Hohl
- Scriptores historiae Augustae. Addenda et Corrigenda adiecerunt ch. samberger et W. Seyfarth / Volumen II by Ernestus Hohl
- Julio Claudian Emperors: AD 14-70 (Classical World) (Classical World) by T. Wiedemann
- Panegyrici Latini. Lobreden auf römische Kaiser / Band I, Von Diokletian Bis Konstantin : Lateinisch und deutsch by Brigitte Müller-Rettig
- Scriptores Historiae Augustae, Volume III (The Two Valerians, the Two Gallieni, the Thirty Pretenders, the Deified Claudius, the Deified Aurelian, Tactitus, Pro )(Loeb Classical Library No. 263) by Scrittori della storia augusta
- Impartial Stranger: History and Intertextuality in Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Peter Cosgrove
- Marco Aurelio by Charles Parain
- The British Museum Pocket Dictionary of Roman Emperors by Paul Roberts
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.