Melvil Decimal System: 979.438
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 🌽 > 🏄 > 🏄 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
Coast range counties, north
North central counties
East central counties
West central counties; San Francisco group
Coast range counties, south
South central counties
Works under MDS 979.438
- Ordeal by Hunger: The Story of the Donner Party by George R. Stewart
- A Wall of White: The True Story of Heroism and Survival in the Face of a Deadly Avalanche by Jennifer Woodlief
- The saga of Lake Tahoe by Edward B. Scott
- Tahoe Heritage: The Bliss Family of Glenbrook, Nevada by Sessions S. Wheeler
- Lake Tahoe: A Fragile Beauty by Thomas Bachand
- Mining Camps of Placer County by Carmel Barry-Schweyer
- Stopping Time: A Rephotographic Survey of Lake Tahoe by Peter Goin
- Auburn (Images of America: California) by Arthur Sommers
- Lake Tahoe: A Picture Book to Remember Her By by Crescent Books
- Loomis (CA) (Images of America) by Loomis Basin Historical Society
- Rocklin (CA) (Images of America) by Carmel Barry-Schweyer
- Auburn: A California Mining Camp Comes of Age by M. E. Gilberg
- Tahoe Place Names: The Origin and History of Names in the Lake Tahoe Basin by Barbara Lekisch
- Destination Lake Tahoe: The Story Behind the Scenery by Stanley W. Paher
- Donner Summit by Arthur Sommers
- Rocklin, past, present, future : an illustrated history of Rocklin, Placer County, California, from 1864 to 1981 by Leonard M Davis
- Railroads of Placer County (Images of Rail) by Arthur Sommers
- Auburn and Placer County: Crossroads of a Golden Era by A. Thomas Homer
- Lake Tahoe Through Time (America Through Time) by Carol A. Jensen
- Early Auburn (Images of America) by Art Sommers
- Newcastle, gem of the foothills: A pictorial history of Newcastle, Placer County, California from its formative days to the present by Leonard M Davis
- American River Canyon (Images of America) by Rodi Lee
- Schools of the Iowa Hill Divide: The Iowa Hill Divide Volume 1 by Robin Yonash
- Owning the Sierra Nevada: The Short History of a Long Infatuation by Brent Harold
- Meeks Bay Memories by Carol Van Etten
- Tahoe City Yesterdays by Carol Van Etten
- Penryn : a village locked in time by Leonard M Davis
- J. Parker Whitney : frontier conservationist & versatile man of the West by Warren Hinckle
- HISTORY OF PLACER COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers by Myron Angel
- Heritage of Water: The Golden Anniversary of the Placer County Water Agency, 1957-2007 by Sue McClurg
- Placer County DIRECTORY OF THE COUNTY OF PLACER for the year 1861 containing a history of the county and of the different towns in the county with the names of inhabitants and every thing appertaining to a complete Directory by r. j. steele bell james f. i. houston
- Samuel Holladay's Adventures in the Gold Fields of California and the Naming of Auburn by Samuel Holladay
- Index History of Placer County, California by Edited by: Barbara Van Riper
- Heritage of Water: The Placer County Water Agency Story by Janet Dunbar Fonseca
- Western Placer County and Lincoln according to history by Jerry Logan
- The lake of the sky, Lake Tahoe, in the high Sierras of California and Nevada; its history, Indians, discovery by Fremont, legendary lore, various namings, physical characteristics, glacial phenomena, geology, single outlet, automobile routes, historic towns, early mining excitements, steamer ride, mineral springs, mountain and lake resorts, trail and camping out trips, summer residences, fishing, hunting, flowers, birds, animals, trees and chapparal, with a full account of the Tahoe National Forest, the pu by George Wharton James
- Squaw Valley; a photographic historical of the Squaw Valley-Sierra Nevada region by Edward B. Scott
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.