- All collections (1,344), Your library (1,203), Wishlist (4), Currently reading (2), Read but unowned (137), Favorites (44)
- Play (155), manuscript (9), Manuscript (2)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up, 75 Books Challenge for 2011, 75 Books Challenge for 2012, 75 Books Challenge for 2013, Actors Who LibraryThing, All the World's a Stage, Bloomsbury Group and their friends, Booksellers, British & Irish Children's Fiction, ZB's Literary Adventure
- Mar 8, 2010
- Real Name
- About My Library
- One of the things I love about this site is that it allows me to catalog not only those titles I choose to keep but also those I've read and chosen to return or pass on to someone else, which I do more and more frequently these days. I'm not as much interested in enumerating my possessions as I am in being able to track the continuing progress of my reading life.
My 2011 75 Books Challenge thread can be found here: http://www.librarything.com/topic/107337
My 2012 75 Books Challenge thread can be found here: http://www.librarything.com/topic/129618
I was asked to give a talk about books in September of 2011 and decided to do a variation of the long-running BBC program, Desert Island Discs, in which a notable figure is asked to name the eight discs they would take to a Desert Island. You can usually tell when a subject is being honest about their choices and when they've chosen music they think they ought to choose. So in selecting my eight Desert Island Books, I tried to be as honest as I could about the books I truly love and would welcome reading over and over again. Here then are my Desert Island Books, in alpha order by author.
1. Dickens, Charles, Great Expectations.
2. Grahame, Kenneth, The Wind in the Willows.
3. Jerome, Jerome K., On the Stage and Off
4. Ormondroyd, Edward, David and the Phoenix
5. Potter, Beatrix, The Tale of Tom Kitten
6. Stevenson, Robert Louis, Treasure Island.
7. Tolstoy, Leo, War and Peace - This is the only one on the list I haven't actually finished, but I figure I'll want a challenge, in addition to all the comfort reading.
8. Twain, Mark The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
At the end of Desert Island Discs, the interviewee is asked to name the one selection out of the eight they would choose if limited to only one. I think I'd have to go with Great Expectations.
- About Me
- I am an actor, writer, director, musician and former librarian, and part-time book buyer for an independent store. I am married to a practicing librarian who I met in library school. The fact that she is undoubtedly the most popular person in our town says quite a lot about her, the library she directs and, indeed, the nature of our small community. At one time, Mrs. Kitten and I ran a rare and used book business, specializing in women's history and literature and children's and illustrated books.
- Red Sox Nation
- Currently Reading
- Favorite Authors
- Local Favorites
Bookstores: Brookline Booksmith, New England Mobile Book Fair, Russell Books
Libraries: Watertown Free Public Library, Wellfleet Public Library
TomKitten rated, reviewed, added:
- Interesting Library