- All collections (10,773), Your library (10,773), Currently reading (3)
- bedroom library (5,957), fairy tales folklore and mythology (3,351), fairy tales and folklore (2,952), fiction (1,428), university press (1,375), academic (1,375), children's literature (1,051), mythology (989), literary criticism (792), fantasy (720), novels (691), fairy tale studies (676), short stories (642), illustration (637), supernatural (629), paranormal (584), folklore collections (477), spirituality (394), anthologies (392), religion (383), fairy tales retold (329), re-interpretations (320), gender studies (320), retellings (320), women's studies (318), international folklore (313), victorian (308), picture books (308), medieval (306), middle ages (296), celtic (295), dover (289), magic (281), poetry (271), magical realism and fantastic (269), young adult (262), reference (260), art (258), monsters (249), dover folklore and myth (239), history (233), encyclopedias (226), fantasists (224), not-quite-human (223), occult (217), goddesses (215), british (207), ancient (201), legends (188), asian (182), fairies (179), esoteric (178), mythical creatures (177), metamorphosis (174), transformation (174), classical mythology (170), witches (169), animals (159), shapeshifters (158), ghosts (150), middle eastern (149), nature (144), poltergeists (143), therianthropy (143), spirits (143), hauntings (141), uncanny (141), greek (139), oxford (139), phantoms (137), routledge (130), literary fairy tales (130), king arthur (123), psychology (122), fairy tale scholars (115), slavic (112), jewish (111), children's literature studies (107), science fiction (104), symbols (101), bestiaries (101), penguin (97), biblical (96), fine press (95), imagined worlds (93), norse (92), german (90), cultural studies (90), golden books (87), demons (86), death (85), arthurian studies (85), japanese (83), russian (83), animal brides animal grooms (81), yokai (81), abc-clio (80), brothers grimm (78), arabian nights (77), sea (76), knopf (76), 1001 nights (75), victorian fantasists (73), afterlife (70), folio society (70), sirens (69), mermaids (68), chinese (67), norton (65), lycanthropy (65), essays (64), french (64), fortean (63), werewolves (63), vampires (63), sheherazade (60), thames & hudson (60), moon (59), dragons (59), new york review (58), irish (57), science (57), classics (57), tricksters (57), wizards (56), everyman's library (56), graphic novels (55), hans christian andersen (54), devil (54), golden age illustration (54), chicago (54), thousand and one nights (54), princeton (54), unexplained (53), cats (53), doppelgangers (53), vintage (52), dark goddesses (52), greenwood (51), doubles (50), wolves (50), danish (50), weird fiction (49), candlewick (49), heroines (48), latin american (47), strange fiction (46), amazons (46), warrior women (46), pantheon (46), art and imagination series (46), horror (44), flame tree (44), subterranean worlds (44), gothic fantasy series (44), femmes fatales (44), scottish (43), native american (43), creative writing (43), italian (42), children's classics (42), everyman's library children's classics (42), california (40), seers (40), astronomy (40), dedalus (40), postmodern (40), romanticism (40), indian (39), indiana (39), european (39), medieval romances (39), kitsune (38), moon goddess (37), trees (37), fables (37), inklings (35), gender bending (34), body (34), merlin (34), childhood (34), landscapes (34), forests (34), enchantresses (34), descent to the underworld (34), palgrave (34), jungian (34), angels (34), sorceresses (34), hobbies (34), foxes (33), satire (33), miniatures (33), wayne state (32), dolls (32), roman (32), artemis (31), dreams (31), fairy tale art (31), small things (30), egyptian (30), andrew lang (30), surrealism (30), underworld (30), jane yolen (30), diana (30), philosophy (29), nursery rhymes (29), birds (29), miles kelly (28), paganism (28), faber (28), polish (28), oxford myths and legends (27), mcfarland (27), melusine (27), jack zipes (27), divination (26), books (26), pantheon folklore (26), angela carter (26), dodo (26), oracles (26), fortune-telling (26), tarot (26), cross dressing (26), new york review children's collection (26), wizard of oz (25), welsh (25), floris (25), arabian nights studies (25), oz (25), george macdonald (24), imagination (24), gothic (24), waldorf (24), collecting (24), cyborgs (24), baba yaga (23), mothers (23), fabulists (23), clip art (23), l frank baum (23), paper arts (23), enchanted world (22), time travel (22), peter lang (22), penn state (22), edwin mellen (22), african-american (22), mystery (21), tolkien (21), rackham (21), flowers (21), shambhala (21), colors (21), cambridge (21), reaktion (21), shamanism (21), yale (21), eastern philosophy (20), models (20), vertigo (20), philip pullman (20), myth and mankind (20), august house (20), SUNY (20), rainbow fairy books (20), boydell (19), element encyclopedias (19), virginity (19), alchemy (19), fredonia (19), swan maidens (19), dystopias (19), toys (18), selkies (18), seal people (18), edith nesbit (18), ashgate (18), saints (18), catherynne valente (18), interlink (18), tanith lee (18), outlaws (17), tuttle (17), dioramas (17), mary (17), harvard (17), goblins (17), marina warner (17), his dark materials (17), madonna (17), canongate (17), mabinogion (17), virgin mary (17), red riding hood (17), m.e. sharpe (17), puffin (17), african (17)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- Alternative Fiction, Art is Life, Arthurian Legends, Book Arts, Bookcases: If You Build/Buy Them, They Will Fill, Books in Books, Bookshelf of the Damned, Children's Fiction, Children's Literature, Everything Illustration and Comic Art!, Fairy Tale Readers, Fairy Tales Retold, Feminist SF, Fine Press Forum, Folio Society Devotees, From Avalon to Tir Na Nog, Golden Age Illustrators, Magical Realist and Fantastic Literature, Maryland Librarythingers, Mythology, New York Review Books, Picture books, Poetry Fool, Positively Not Potter, Rare, Old or Offbeat, Readers Who Write, The Chapel of the Abyss, The City That Reads (Baltimore. Yes, hon, Baltimore.), The Green Dragon, The Weird Tradition, Thing(amabrarian)s That Go Bump in the Night, Unique Library Thing Book Group, Weird Fiction, Writer-readers
- Jul 10, 2007
- Real Name
- About My Library
- I am particularly fond of magical realism, surrealism, speculative fiction, folklore and mythology from all cultures, fairy tales, monsters, the supernatural and anything strange or fortean. And, yes, I really do read my books, all of them eventually. My idea of paradise would be my books, a never-ending cup of coffee, and my kids playing quietly (or, perhaps, reading too) on the other side of the room.
Books I would be delighted to find, should anyone spot a copy.
1.) Any nice hardcovers by Ruth Manning-Sanders. I want to collect her entire set of fairy tale anthologies eventually. So far, I have only one.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. - Jorge Luis Borges
A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero
Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. - C.S. Lewis
When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food. - Deciderius Erasmus
The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven. - John Milton, Paradise Lost
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Shakespeare
In an utilitarian age, of all other times, it is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected. - Charles Dickens
Build yourself a book-nest to forget the world without. - Abraham Cowley
Far more seemly were it for thee to have thy study full of books, than thy purse full of money. - John Lyly
I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.
- H.P. Lovecraft
Stories teach us empathy. They reveal to us ourselves in the skins of others.
If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.
— C.S. Lewis
When you create stories, you become gods, of tiny, intricate dimensions unto themselves. So many worlds!
-Metatron from Supernatural
- About Me
- I'm a mother, freelance writer, poet, and obsessive bookworm. I'd love to talk to others with similar tastes in literature.
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Currently Reading
- Favorite Authors
- Hans Christian Andersen, Kate Bernheimer, Jorge Luis Borges, Dino Buzzati, Italo Calvino, Angela Carter, Lord Dunsany, Brothers Grimm, Zbigniew Herbert, E. T. A. Hoffmann, Tanith Lee, George MacDonald, Toni Morrison, Sylvia Plath, Vasko Popa, Philip Pullman, José Saramago, Wisława Szymborska, Catherynne M. Valente, Marina Warner, Oscar Wilde, Jeanette Winterson, Jack Zipes
- 50Watts, ALisette, AngelicaHarris, Artur, bluehairedangie, bluereader, ClaudiaMoscovici, cleery, CraigChaffin123, dejabooks, denni, EdwardEinhorn, fiadhiglas, FiveBooks, ForestBeings, HurstPub, JeremyCShipp, JMenges, JoboyGamotia, JohnAdcoxCarolBales, karennovakoski, librisalexandria, lil_ghostcrab, MariposaCafe, mmignano11, MoochPurpura, mortdecai, NGlynn, Orthaevelve, pageboy, PaulMarlowe, questionablepotato, SalemFuchs, Smethers, suzecate, thebluestocking, theoldman, TheresaWilliams, Treeseed, Winter_Maiden, , WoodWoman
- Interesting Library
- 50Watts, A.Woodwose, Adam_Mosley, adeliedreams, Aerulan, agrondin, ALisette, AllieW, alsatia, aluvalibri, amercer, AndreaandSamantha, AngelicaHarris, angrystarlyt, artist49, Artur, AsYouKnow_Bob, AtemporalDrift, aulsmith, avatiakh, bdusel, bedda, Belladonna1975, Belletrist, Bernician, beserene, BettcherForrest, Betweenwords, BGF, bgruagach, BiblioEva, bibliosage, biblioTCa, bleuroses, bluehairedangie, bluereader, Body_Count, bookgirlokc, bookstopshere, bragan, branadain, BrandySejeck, BrigidsBlest, Buchmendel, Caramellunacy, castlen, caviglia_jr, Celebrimbor, charaxinae, Charismitaine, christiguc, Christinarae.clark, cindysku, cleery, cobwebs, cotp, CroneWoman, cunningman, Czrbr, dankeding, DavidX, deerwoman, demuzeblog, Desertcore, devilwrites, DianaJonesBunz, dirlogic, divjadristi, djfifitrix, dmsteyn, dorothean, Dr_Boondock, dr_zombieswan, Druid-Lady, dutts, editorjo, EdwardEinhorn, empress8411, ErinD, extrajoker, faeriedhust, Fainting_Project, fairytalesretold, FiliaLibri, fireflyacademy, ForestBeings, freckles1987, FutureMrsJoshGroban, g026r, gbusters, gekk, geoffmiles, GirlMisanthrope, Gloniel, grayle, grisaille, GROMAV, guyalice, GwenH, gwyneira, haled, Harinezumi, hazzabamboo, heathensailor, hjbe, holzwege, hps_sterling, HRC0826, iaia852, innogen, intolerable, IntoTheWildwood, jannon, JeanGoodrich, JeannineHallGailey, jecathey, JeremyCShipp, JGKC, JMenges, JohnAdcoxCarolBales, JoshEatsCars, julieshedd, jvalka, k00kaburra, katelaity, KateMacLeod, katie.chase, kawika, KCShaw, kdcdavis, kellylink, kheperu, Khiron666, kimber1ykate, kitsunekon, kmoellering, kroseman, leahbird, Leslie_L.J., librisalexandria, lil_ghostcrab, lilithcat, LitandSci, llusby23, lohengrin, lquilter, LudicDespair, magsbooks, Majella, Manisson, marietherese, marina61, marineko, MarkHornNYC, MarkJH, Marnina, mattormeg, McFarland, Medellia, Megli, metis_unhinged, mfd101, millsge, mister_k, mizukobaby, mlfhlibrarian, mmignano11, momzart, monotremata, MoochPurpura, moomin, moppety, mountebank, mousecatfish, MyriadBooks, Naraku, NeosAlexandria, Nickelini, Nicole_VanK, Niffer, nmhale, Norilana, nytemuse, OriginalOgre, Orthaevelve, owlcroft, pageboy, penpiano, phoenix718, PirateJenny, PitcherBooks, prehensel, pscindy, queenofbithynia, randirousseau, Randy_Hierodule, rarm, Remercier, resreviews, Rhinoa, ria_81, roach, roadsroadsroads, rogue_librarian, Rubbah, rwhe, ryvre, SabinaAyse, sahsginot, Sakerfalcon, SalemFuchs, SandraDolby, sarahswampwitch, sbronner, seperez, SGRA, shadowood, shakti_truffle, sheherazahde, shinigami, skullduggery, sorell, spiphany, startingover, stealth.librarian, sunnybrookgal, susyblue, sydaisy, sylvan_eyre, TainaEvans, the_red_shoes, theAshLad, thegreatnorthern, Theoderic, TheresaWilliams, therithere, thewalkinggirl, Tim_Watkinson, timspalding, tole_lege, TomKitten, Treeseed, Treuhaft, tygeranddjinn, uni, UnicornMan, urania1, veritas, vissy, wabbbitweed, Walter6924, wayneandmelinda, weatherglass, weisbardaj, WestlinWind, whitealchemist, wingkitty, Winter_Maiden, Wombat, WoodWoman, xmbrst, yellowish_haze, Ygraine