B Is for Burglar by Sue Grafton

B Is for Burglar (1985)

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (2)

A Kinsey Millhone mystery. A wealthy woman needs to find her sister to settle a will. It looks routine, boring. Still, business is slow and even a private investigator has bills to pay, so Kinsey Millhone takes the case. But this is not routine and the deeper Kinsey digs the trickier things get. The client tries to call Kinsey off, an accusing husband surfaces and a double murder turns the case sinister. Kinsey feels adrift in a fog of distortion, where nothing - except danger - is quite what it seems. "B" is for burgler is the second in the series which began with "A" is for alibi.… (more)
    One for the Money by Janet Evanovich (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Strong female main characters with a bit of humor.

English (66)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (68)
I love how Sue gives good descriptions to her characters. Reading the books in order written is also help with the development f getting to know the main people. This book ended with a twisted i had no idea was coming. ( )
  cbloky | May 16, 2019 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
Stealing someone's identity is one thing, living their life is another
PLOT OR PREMISE:
A sister hires Kinsey to find her estranged sister who seems to have gone missing
WHAT I LIKED:
The plot is interesting, as it starts to shape up as quite the mystery. The missing sister, Elaine, supposedly flew to Florida but someone else is staying in her condo there. Everybody has opinions, but no facts as to her whereabouts. And there's a link to a burglary / homicide that occurred before she disappeared. Stolen identities, missing cats, firecracker old ladies, multiple clients and Jonah too?
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
A good portion of the novel is kind of muddy, with Kinsey blundering along, showing no real signs of any insight or deduction, just plodding along, with the mystery having to go at her pace too. None of the "drama" from the secondary characters tends to add any real intensity to the story, and many of the people just come off as lame.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Feb 16, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book, even though I figured it out pretty early on.
Kinsey is trying to come to grips with killing someone, even though it was self defense. Mainly she’s avoiding it. She gets a new case and throws herself into it. I’m not too sure why Jonah was brought into the story ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
I found this an entertaining murder mystery, and honestly did not figure out the whodunit part until the detective herself. Private investigator Kinsey Millhone is hired to locate Elaine Boldt, whose signature is needed on some papers for an inheritance. Elaine supposedly flew from California to Boca Raton for the winter but has disappeared without a trace. Living in Elaine's Florida apartment is a woman named Pat Usher, who claims to be subletting from Elaine. Meanwhile, by coincidence, back in California, a female neighbor of Elaine's (Marty Grice) died in a house fire a week before Elaine disappeared. In short, Marty and her husband faked her death (putting Elaine's body in the house fire) so that Marty could assume Elaine's identity. I should have seen that coming, but didn't. Naturally, Kinsey figures out what happened, and detains the criminals for arrest. As the second in the alphabet series, this book is a nice addition and as such books go, I rate it above average. For a full account of the plot, see the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22B%22_Is_for_Burglar ( )
1 vote danielx | Feb 3, 2019 |
I read this once before, so many years ago that I don't remember the exact date. But it's been a while and I didn't recall all the book details, so when I saw a copy for free in a book exchange location, I decided to read it again, knowing that I'd enjoyed the early Kinsey Millhone books.

I did find some typos in this this edition, which surprised me. I don't remember noting those the last time I read the book, though honestly, I found I didn't remember much of the storyline. Kinsey takes on a missing persons case--I did wonder how the estate stuff that brought Beverly to Kinsey would end up being resolved if the person she was looking for turned up dead. That question was never answered, nor do we find out what happened with the Danzigers. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Mar 9, 2018 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ammelrooy, Anneke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peiffer, MaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prometeo Moya, AntonioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Steven, who sees me through.
After it's over, of course, you want to kick yourself for all the things you didn't see at the time.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse
ISBNs 0333926722, 0333989260 & 140507289X are for the Macmillan Readers edition, retold by John Escott
ISBNs 0739357352, 0375417184, 039457978X, 0333989260 are for abridged audiobook

Back cover:

Female, aged thirty-two, single, self-employed and wiser than she used to be. For Kinsey Millhone, private investigator, only one thing stays the same. When a client sits down in the chair across the desk, she never knows what's going to happen next...

Business was slow, and there was nothing about Beverly Danziger to cause Kinsey concern.

She was looking for her sister. She paid up front. And if it seemed a lot of money for a routine job, Kinsey wasn't going to argue.

She kicked herself later for the things she didn't see. But by then she was in danger, and money was the last thing on her mind...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,819,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible