B Is for Burglar (1985)

by Sue Grafton

Series: Kinsey Millhone (2)

A Kinsey Millhone mystery. A wealthy woman needs to find her sister to settle a will. It looks routine, boring. Still, business is slow and even a private investigator has bills to pay, so Kinsey Millhone takes the case. But this is not routine and the deeper Kinsey digs the trickier things get. The client tries to call Kinsey off, an accusing husband surfaces and a double murder turns the case sinister. Kinsey feels adrift in a fog of distortion, where nothing - except danger - is quite what it seems. "B" is for burgler is the second in the series which began with "A" is for alibi.… (more)
    One for the Money by Janet Evanovich (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Strong female main characters with a bit of humor.

English (80)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (82)
After Sue Grafton's recent death I saw a lot of people praising her work. This series, about a private detective based in California, was the main thing she wrote. I don't think this particular entry broke any crazy new ground, but it was an entertaining little mystery with a couple of good twists. ( )
  wishanem | May 27, 2021 |
I waited quite a while for this one from the public library because I had thoroughly enjoyed the first one and couldn't wait to dive into this one. I managed to read it in just two sittings over about a 30 hour period. Let me tell you, this series has effectively dragged me out of an awful several month long reading slump.

So we come upon our friend, Kinsey Millhone once again. And once again she finds herself in a situation that somewhat makes the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. I love the fact that these are action packed and intense novels that get your blood pumping and your adrenaline level rising.

Those who have followed my reviews will note that this is outside the realm of the usual genres that I read, but I am so glad for the distraction as I was apparently getting burned out a bit on my usual fare and had not been able to really enjoy a book in a while.

This particular novel is fairly well edited (I only found maybe 3 small errors with an extra word or a missing word in the whole thing!). The author has a way of crafting a novel such that the reader feels as though they are a part of the action and experiencing the events along with the characters and that is an incredible feat with some of today's authors.

While this is an older novel and not something just newly available on the market, it is definitely 100% worth the read. If you love a good mystery or suspense novel, then you definitely want to give this series a go. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Apr 23, 2021 |
This book is still early in the series, but I am enjoying it. "B" is for Burglar is certainly a product of the 1980s. Kinsey Millhone jogs, eats out at prices that I vaguely remember, and has no cell phone. She is her own woman, though, and I love it.

This is a standard mystery, with the author playing fair with the reader. I had thoughts about what was going on, but then I have a suspicious mind when reading mysteries. I thoroughly enjoyed the "reveal" when Kinsey figured it out.

Most of all, reading this during the Covid-19 pandemic, I envied the freedom to travel and interact with people. In this much simpler time, before 9/11, it was easy to hop on a plane and fly across the country. People had no masks, no real worries about various diseases. Of course, having no cell phones or portable computers certainly made it more necessary to travel and have "boots on the ground."

This book will stand alone but gains from being read in series order. Highly recommended for fans of PI mysteries. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Mar 10, 2021 |
The second book in Grafton's series takes place about two weeks after A is for Alibi concluded and though Kinsey is still reeling from the psychological affects sustained while solving that case
she is now called upon to find Elaine Boldt the missing sister of Beverly Danzinger. Beverly has been unable to reach Ms. Boldt and suspects she may be staying in one of her two homes in California or Florida or......perhaps she's dead. Around the same time, a fire next door to Boldt's condo has claimed the life of Boldt's friend, Marty Grice. Could these two incidents be related?
A characteristically shifty group of neighbors and relatives make this another intriguing and entertaining read.
More 1980's jargon include "hose" worn by women, smokers and smoking in public buildings, carbon paper and microfiche, "white out", pay phones and a cheeseburger, fries and a coke all for $1.65. ( )
  Carmenere | Jan 8, 2021 |
These books aren't capital-L Literature, but they're fun enough to read. Grafton makes neat little descriptive observations that jump out at me pleasantly (though they're apparently not memorable, as I can call none to mind). I don't love how she builds the story and builds the story only to give you kind of a little half-ending. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ammelrooy, Anneke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peiffer, MaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prometeo Moya, AntonioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Steven, who sees me through.
After it's over, of course, you want to kick yourself for all the things you didn't see at the time.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse
ISBNs 0333926722, 0333989260 & 140507289X are for the Macmillan Readers edition, retold by John Escott
ISBNs 0739357352, 0375417184, 039457978X, 0333989260 are for abridged audiobook

Back cover:

Female, aged thirty-two, single, self-employed and wiser than she used to be. For Kinsey Millhone, private investigator, only one thing stays the same. When a client sits down in the chair across the desk, she never knows what's going to happen next...

Business was slow, and there was nothing about Beverly Danziger to cause Kinsey concern.

She was looking for her sister. She paid up front. And if it seemed a lot of money for a routine job, Kinsey wasn't going to argue.

She kicked herself later for the things she didn't see. But by then she was in danger, and money was the last thing on her mind...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,052,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible