HomeGroupsTalkExplore

One for the Money (1994)

by Janet Evanovich

Series: Stephanie Plum (1)

Out-of-work Stephanie Plum blackmails her bail bondsman cousin into giving her a try as an apprehension agent. Her first case involves tracking down a former vice cop on the run from a charge of murder one, a man who also happens to be her former lover.
    First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones (SunnySD)
    The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (KingRat, Candice_oxo)
    KingRat: Lisa Lutz' Spellman files has many of the same kind of "zany" characters and plot elements, but with a harder edge.
    Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie (Aula)
    Aula: The same kind of quick, witty banter between the hero and heroine; same light reading; similiar mystery storyline; good secondary characters that add to the love interest rather than detract.
    Bubbles A Broad by Sarah Strohmeyer (glade1)
    glade1: Similar, working-class heroines with humor and zany adventures
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Ok, so the genre isn't really the same, but I feel like people who enjoy Evanovich's characters and their interaction with each other will enjoy those same qualities in Wooding's series. Both are very funny books about a set of characters who are trying to achieve things that are really beyond them.… (more)
    Body Movers by Stephanie Bond (sjmccreary)
    sjmccreary: Both these series feature slightly ditzy fashion-focused women trying to solve mysteries that are really beyond their abilities. Funny, with wacky cast of characters.
    Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath (Scottneumann)
    B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Strong female main characters with a bit of humor.
    Wife for Hire by Janet Evanovich (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Several of the characters from "Wife for Hire" seem to be earlier versions of Stephanie Plum series characters.
    Sink or Swim by Stacy Juba (magelet87)
    magelet87: Both have the same flirty, carefree-but-still-a-mystery book vibe going on.
    Peepshow by Leigh Redhead (Maid_Marian)
    Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie (leahsimone)
    Knock Off by Rhonda Pollero (marschaaahhh)
    marschaaahhh: Similar humour and odd characters.

English (358)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (363)
Sometimes I just need a few hours of fluff, and nobody does it better than Evanovich. A re-read for me but still hits the spot. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jan 26, 2023 |
Currently rereading this series. Love Stephanie, Grandma Mazur, and the other characters. Love the humor and that Stephanie can learn from her mistakes, though she does find new ones to make through the series.Definitely keepers for me. ( )
  GGmaSheila | Jan 24, 2023 |
I think I'd go with 3 1/2 stars. Loved the humor but there were a few places where I had to call BS, even taking lack of technology into consideration. ( )
  amcheri | Jan 5, 2023 |
I thought I’d give this a whirl and see what all the fuss was about. It was very entertaining on audio book, and the story was lots of fun (although having the murderer explain everything he did and everything he was about to do at the end was kind of a bother). I’ll definitely listen to more, at least as long as C. J. Critt is the reader. The characters are charming; I especially loved Grandma Mazur. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
I'm not sure what to think about this book. It wasn't bad, especially for the first in a series, but I feel guilty for enjoying it because Stephanie Plum really acts the part of a dumb, helpless woman most of the time. But it's mostly humor, and I don't want to discriminate against it just because it's a woman, because there are books about inept males, too. However, the problem I had with it was it sometimes seemed to be trying to be serious, so her dumbness would get frustrating. I think perhaps it was overdone. She could probably be more likeable with just a bit less helplessness.

However, I loved her grandmother, and would probably enjoy it a lot more if she played a major role. I might try a later story in the series to see if things improve. ( )
  MartyFried | Oct 9, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

This book is for my husband, Peter--with love
There are some men who enter a woman's life and screw it up forever.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,759,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible