G Is for Gumshone by Sue Grafton

G Is for Gumshone

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (7)

A Kinsey Millhone mystery. In this rich, complex and gripping tale, Kinsey Millhone's grit is tested to its utmost as the private detective unearths the gruesome truth about a long-buried betrayal - and, in the process, comes face-to-face with the grisly fact of her own mortality. "'G' is for guilt and guile, for greed and grief, for the Grim Reaper. And 'G' is for good: very, very good indeed."… (more)

English (39)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (41)
One of the main reasons I really enjoyed this book is watching Kinsey sense something about a case and not give up until she figures it all out. I also liked the incorporation of two separate storylines with moments of merging. Sue Grafton did an excellent job of incorporating the hitman story into the Agnes Grey story without either of them overwhelming the whole book. Both storylines are engaging and immediately grabbed my interest. I was anxiously waiting to see what came next and Grafton excels at building the suspense in this one.

I think I’m half in love with Henry Pitts just as Kinsey is. His devotion and caring for her is so genuine and heartfelt. I truly think he is someone she can completely be herself with and someone who loves her no matter what.

In G is for Gumshoe, we get our first glimpse of Kinsey working with a partner and I think I prefer Kinsey on her. I tried to like the Dietz character but he seemed to have a very dark side we only got a glimpse of and I didn’t buy him as a romantic interest for Kinsey at all.

Judy Kaye as usual is the only voice of series there needs to be. I have no words for how well she is as a narrator.
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
Decent book, worth celebrating her birthday.
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Happy 33rd Birthday to Kinsey! Her apartment is ready, she gets hired to go check on someone's mom, and she's on a hit list.
WHAT I LIKED:
As always, Grafton adds some local colour wherever Kinsey goes -- Kinsey gets to a small trailer area, and the directions are to go on down to a corner where there's a Rusted-Out Chevy and take the road next to it called, you guessed it, Rusted-Out Chevy Road. It is such a perfect example to set a mood for the place. More importantly though, Dietz is in the story, hired to protect her from the cheap hitman chasing her. And the book is rounded out by a cold case of a woman with signs of Alzheimer's who is trying to hide a secret.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
Dietz is so hard-core professional with the security side, it feels almost like the Plum series where Ranger is awesome and Plum is a cupcake. It reduces Kinsey at times to passive acceptance and direction, and it doesn't fit well with most of her character.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Feb 22, 2019 |
E is for Evidence is not one of Sue Grafton’s best; in fact, I’ve ranked it lower than the other 9 that I have read of the Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mystery series. There are two unrelated plots. In one, she’s been hired by a woman (Irene) to locate her mother (Agnes) who has not been heard from for 6 months. In the other, she’s been targeted by a hitman hired by someone she’d helped to imprison. Kinsey hires a bodyguard (Dietz) to protect her as she searches for Agnes. When found, Agnes is afraid to be brought back home, and goes missing again. Most of the story involves Kinsey trying to locate Agnes and to figure out the family history behind Agnes and Irene (given discrepancies between legal records and a modified birth certificate for Irene).

I found the plot difficult to believe, the characters less than believable, the pacing of the story uneven, and the ending unsatisfying. The hitman has been hired for a mere 1500 dollars. He likes toying with Kinsey (his prospective victim) in a cat and mouse game, and over the course of many days, he periodically appears and shoots towards her and purposely misses. Further, he brings his young son along on his hits. Despite being stalked by a killer, Kinsey is constantly going off on her own, and getting shot at. As for the body guard, he’s ineffectual, although Kinsey doesn't seem to mind, and in fact finds a use for him in bed. Finally, regarding the family mystery, it all becomes clear in the last couple of pages, when out of nowhere, a minor character (Patrick, who turns out to be Agnes’ brother) also turns out to be a serial killer who has killed his wife Sheila and various other people and buried them in his shed over the years. Agnes is actually Irene’s aunt, and she had taken the young Irene away when they saw Patrick murder Sheila. Why hadn't she gone to the police? Who knows. The ending is both forced and rushed, and none too credible. One murder would have been plenty, so to have Patrick turn out to be an aging serial killer makes little sense in the context of the story.

This is far from Grafton’s best. I am glad to say that the next novel in the series, H is for Homicide is far better, a 4-star offering in my estimation. ( )
2 vote danielx | Jan 20, 2019 |
As always, a great read. Never a dull moment. Her books could be read in one seating if one had the time. I never tire of Kinsey Millhone, the main character in Sue Grafton's books. She is an independent young woman, self-employed, doing what she loves to do and is good at it. As a private investigator, she is a minority in her field. If you enjoy. suspense, this is book and series for you. ( )
  DocWalt10 | Nov 15, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book in the series. Two stories in one plus Kinsey getting romantically involved with someone other than the married cop?!? First all, there's a price on Kinsey's head regarding a prisoner who she put in prison. Probably the only time she irked me in the book... stupid to go out and get shot at without her bodyguard. The second was finding a woman's mother that actually turned into a really cool murder mystery. Definitely a page turner and was definitely surprised with the whole Irene/Agnes story. Looking forward to reading H. ( )
  booklover3258 | Sep 10, 2018 |

Grafton, SueAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eräpuro, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Molly Friedrich and Geoffrey Sanford...who carve a path through the jungle for me
Three things occurred on or about May 5, which is not only Cinco de Mayo in California, but Happy Birthday to me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,856,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible