Feet of Clay (1996)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: City Watch (3), Discworld (19)

It's murder in Discworld! -- which ordinarily is no big deal. But what bothers Watch Commander Sir Sam Vimes is that the unusual deaths of three elderly Ankh-Morporkians do not bear the clean, efficient marks of the Assassins' Guild. An apparent lack of any motive is also quitetroubling. All Vimes has are some tracks of white clay and more of those bothersome "clue" things that only serve to muck up an investigation. The anger of a fearful populace is already being dangerously channeled toward the city's small community of golems -- the mindless, absurdlyindustrious creatures of baked clay who can occasionally be found toiling in the city's factories. And certain highly placed personages are using the unrest as an excuse to resurrect a monarchy -- which would be bad enough even if the "king" they were grooming wasn't as empty-headed as your typical animated pottery.… (more)

English (107)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (114)
Út úr ruglaður húmor, gerfigreind, fordómar og fjölmenningarsamfélag. Hvað gæti farið úrskeiðis? Með betri bókum Pratchetts. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
Why do I keep giving these Discworld/City Watch books five stars? It’s not necessarily because I believe they’re the greatest books ever, but because I feel I could keep reading and re-reading them for my entire life. ( )
1 vote misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
Another five-star for Discworld!

"It takes a lot of complexity to be that simple."

"Trying to understand a complex world with a simple mind."

Two quotes that stuck with me from two separate parts of the book. I've noticed for a long time that there's a lot of life's truths buried in Pratchett's satire and humour. I've noticed it, but never pointed it out.

But this particular book seemed to come to me at the right time. For future readers of this review, we are currently in a time where George Floyd was murdered on camera and in front of a lot of witnesses by a group of uncaring police officers, and the #BlackLivesMatter movement has exploded and it's bringing out both the best and the worst in people on both sides. And we've had a police officer melt down in a McDonald's parking lot because, when it's all boiled down to its essence, she's terrified because she matches the description of someone who's done a crime, and she's being accused daily of doing something she hasn't done, and she's terrified to do something as simple as go through a McDonald's drive-thru without facing some sort of punitive action from someone who unfairly judges her for her appearance. That's our current world.

I hope that, for future readers of this review, this won't be your current world, but I truly suspect it will.

Why am I going into all this? Because this funny and entertaining novel is also about experiencing the fear of who you are. A female dwarf who initially hides her femininity, but ultimately finds the strength to stand up and be who she is, and finds friends willing to stand with her. And a werewolf facing an unfair bias who ultimately has to out herself to someone else, but also finds acceptance there.

Amazing what you can find in a little funny book about silly people living on a disc world, isn't it?

I love this series.

TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
Capping off my golem reading miniseries with a comfort read. Golem self determination still makes me misty. Happy sigh. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
Yet more inventiveness on the venalities of men. ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |
Feet of Clay is another in the sub-series of books about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. It involves golems, and murder, and an assassination plot, and the Watch's new forensic alchemist, and the rightful king, and the problems of being a vegetarian werewolf. It manages to be both a fine fantasy and a unique police procedural, with some cogent things to say about the human urge for kings. And it is almost continuously hilarious. It is difficult to say anything else about this book without sounding like a jacket blurb. Let us simply note that Pratchett performs to his usual standard.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Janice M. Eisen (pay site) (Sep 29, 1996)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blomqvist, MatsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brandhorst, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenCoats of armssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McLaren, JoeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a warm spring night when a fist knocked at the door so hard that the hinges bent.
Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk.
You never ever volunteered. Not even if a sergant stood there and said, "We need someone to drink alcohol, bottles of, and make love, passionate, to women, for the use of." There was always a snag. If a choir of angels asked for volunteers for Paradise to step forward, Nobby knew enough to take one smart pace to the rear.
It wasn't by eliminating the impossible that you got at the truth, however improbable; it was by the much harder process of eliminating the possibilities.
When you've made up your mind to shout out who you are to the world, it's a relief to know you can do it in a whisper.
'Atheism Is Also A Religious Position,' Dorfl rumbled.

'No, it's not!' said Constable Visit. 'Atheism is a denial of a god.'

'Therefore It Is A Religious Position,' said Dorfl. 'Indeed, A True Atheist Thinks Of The Gods Constantly, Albeit In Terms Of Denial. Therefore, Atheism Is A Form of Belief. If The Atheist Truly Did Not Believe, He Or She Would Not Bother To Deny.' (p. 241 of the Book Club Edition)

There's a werewolf with pre-lunar tension in Ankh-Morpork. And a dwarf with attitude and a golem who’s begun to think for itself.

But for Commander Vimes, Head of Ankh-Morpork City Watch, that’s only the start…

There’s treason in the air.
A crime has happened.

He’s not only got to find out whodunit, but howdunit too. He’s not even sure what they dun. But as soon as he knows what the questions are, he’s going to want some answers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,772,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible