Warm Bodies

by Isaac Marion

Series: Warm Bodies (1)

A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love with a human, in this original debut novel. R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn't enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead. Not just another zombie novel, this is funny, scary, and deeply moving.… (more)

English (237)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (239)
I loved this book. It was a glorious combination of horror-genre and romance, with normal people (normal characteristics I mean, because Zombies aren't themselves part of everyday life) as the main characters. The characters were all very easy to connect to, for the most part, and it was an easy read. I couldn't put it down. Well, I could literaly put it down, but I didn't, it was that good. I read the entire book in single day, no doubt missing out on whatever important thing was happening out in the real world.
I'm not ashamed to say that I began reading this book because of the movie that will be hitting theatres soon, and after reading Warm Bodies, I realized that, like all movies made from books, there will be some drastic differences between the two. I think it will be worth it though.
Isaac Marion intertwined romance with inner teen angst, and a dash of zombie-apocolypse, and came out with a beautifully written book with a strong motif of hope and desperation and an underlying/overlying(I'ts everywhere, who am I kidding?) of not giving up despite any bad situation. I recommend highly. ( )
  Conni_W | Jul 7, 2021 |
Good for a love story zombie book, but feels like the ending just kind of happens... not organically. Almost as if "stuffs changing and.... we're done." ( )
  binkocd | Jul 3, 2021 |
teen/adult zombie love story. The ending was a bit weak, and miraculous, but what do you expect? I did enjoy the author's imagery and descriptions (though it was a little bit odd coming from the man-of-few-words narrator) and feel better having read it before I see the movie (which had a much longer hold queue at my library anyway). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
DNF (I browsed the rest of it to find out the ending).

Slow start. Good idea and pretty decent execution, but it's hard to build sympathy and maintain reader interest for a "limited" main character like a true mindless zombie. A writer should not choose an inherently uninteresting character as the main character. Also, it's more or a romance than horror, so it is somewhat mislabeled. The reader's expectations aren't matched.
  quantum.alex | May 31, 2021 |
Interesting & engaging. Comparisons to Twilight are inevitable I suppose, but in regards to that for me, it just made me wonder - is the girl ever the monster in these pairings? I can't think of any stories where that's the case. ( )
  jlweiss | Apr 23, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,691,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible