Warm Bodies

by Isaac Marion

Series: Warm Bodies (1)

A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love with a human, in this original debut novel. R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn't enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead. Not just another zombie novel, this is funny, scary, and deeply moving.… (more)

English (242)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (244)
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the world building of the societies, and I liked both R and Julie as characters, and the romance was sweet. However, I thought the ending was too rushed and underwhelming. Overall, I would recommend to anyone who likes paranormal romance or zombies. ( )
  queenofthebobs | May 2, 2022 |
I was surprised to find myself with a feeling of hope after reading "Warm Bodies." This book is not your typical zombie book. I'm glad Isaac Marion continues the series in 3 more books, although one is a prequel. I hope I can catch them. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Well, they've done it. They gone and Twilight-fied zombies for the teenage girl masses (no offense to the cool teenage girls out there that are just appalled as I am) - Wow, that sounded creepy. At least Marion had the decency not to make them sparkle. Instead, he makes them have thoughts - HOLY COW! Like that hasn't done before. But he flexes his muscle by alluding to Romeo & Juliet. And by alluding, I mean he hammers that through the whole book - main characters? R and Julie. Supporting characters M and Nora (who's studying to be - wait for it - a nurse!). There's even a balcony scene. The only thing Isaac managed to avoid saying, "What's a zombie by any other name?" ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
I saw this sitting on the book store shelf, with the movie out and all it's getting more visibility. For the heck of it I randomly chose a page and started reading. And found myself turning the page to read more... So I started at page one and just a few minutes in, was hooked. Now, I'm not a zombie fanatic, nor do I care for romance stories, so I was surprised that I liked this as much as I did. Zombie lovers beware: this is not your typical zombie tale. Yes, there are holes so wide in the zombie-ness of this book you can drive a whole fleet of trucks through. And yes, the romance element is corny, and yeah sick. But it's a creative story, with plenty of things to smile at. It's well written and moves along quickly. I'm even adding it to my suggest to friends shelf, just because I know that if you get over typical undead expectations and enjoy the writing and story, you'll love it too. :) ( )
  reneeg | Dec 25, 2021 |
This book is different. It talks about zombies, yes, but they're 'aware' zombies. They know what is happening, they think, they feel bad about what they do. They aren't dead. R meets Julie and that triggers the healing process. If you want my opinion, SPOILER ALERT it was love that made R change. END OF SPOILER. It's a different book with awesome characters. Music plays an important role, especially Frank Sinatra. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,680,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible