The Second Jungle Book (1895)

by Rudyard Kipling

Other authors: Aldren Watson (Illustrator)

Series: Jungle Books (2)

Presents more adventures of Mowgli, a boy reared by a pack of wolves, and the wild animals of the jungle. Also includes other short stories set in India.

English (9)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (13)
Contents (all songs omitted) (*=Mowgli stories): How Fear Came*; The Miracle of Purun Bhagat; Letting in the Jungle*; The Undertakers; The King's Ankus*; Quiquern; Red Dog*; The Spring Running*

Wikipedia: Note: the first edition of The Second Jungle Book inadvertently omits the final 500 words of this story, in which Mowgli returns the treasure to its hiding-place to prevent further killings. Although the error was corrected in later printings, it was picked up by some later editions.
  librisissimo | Aug 16, 2021 |
Contents: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi (I) & Darzee's Chaunt (sic); The White Seal (I) & Lukannon; The Miracle of Purun Bhagat (II) & A Song of Kabir; The Undertakers (II) & A Ripple Song; Quiquern (II) & Angutivaum Taina; Toomai of the Elephants (I) & Shiv and the Grasshopper; Her Majesty's Servants (I) & Parade-Song of the Camp-Animals.
  librisissimo | Aug 16, 2021 |
Since I have not read the first Jungle Book, the Mowgli stories were a bit hard to follow at times but I did enjoy the non-Jungle stories more than I expected. I was expecting to find the usual Kipling problems of "White Man's Burden" perspective but there was pleasantly little of it.
  amyem58 | Jan 21, 2020 |
Il voto riguarda le sole "Storie di Mowgli", che ne giustificano la lettura. La maggior parte degli altri racconti di contorno sono piuttosto noiosi e non sempre originali; talvolta stonano un po' con l'ambientazione. ( )
  Mlvtrglvn | Jan 5, 2018 |
I was completely captivated by these stories. This is a book I could not put down. ( )
  caseybp | Aug 3, 2017 |

Rudyard Kiplingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Watson, AldrenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Detmold, Edward JuliusIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eccles, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kipling, J. LockwoodIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watson, AldrenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Das Gesetz des Dschungels - es ist bei weitem das älteste Gesetz der Welt - enthält Vorkehrungen für nahezu alles was dem Dschungel-Volk zustoßen mag, so daß sein Regelwerk nun so volkommen ist, wie Zeit und Gewohnheit es nun machen können.

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,365,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible