Inside Scientology: The Story of…

Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion

by Janet Reitman

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Two similar journalistic exposes of Scientology, both of which take a surprisingly even-handed view of the group. I preferred Inside Scientology, although both are great primers on what is going on under David Miscavige's regime.

OMG Scientology. How I like to tease you. I remember going to that Hollywood center of theirs to take that "personality test" where they find something wrong with you that only Scientology can fix. And then my friends and I ran out of there, screaming, before the test was done because man, it was freaky! Hahaha. And I took an e-meter test once, uh... also in Hollywood. They were out on the street for some reason and were uh... giving "free stress tests" to people. I was like, sweet! Paul took a picture of me holding the cans. It's sitting on a desk somewhere in the apartment. When I thought of Damon Albarn it made the little needle jump, hahaha. And then for some reason there was a family outing to that same Hollywood Scientology place for Christmas to see the snow thing that they do. Winter Wonderland. IDK why. There must be a picture of me somewhere standing morosely next to a Scientology santa or carolers or whatever. Then I went to the L. Ron Hubbard Life Exhibition and holy shit! It was a museum of his bullshit! It ended with a display of all his certificates on a wall that moved while orgasmic music played. It was so good. I recommend it to all tourists. hahaha! Scientology.

Anyway about the book. It was as balanced as an objective report on Scientology can be, which means that the conclusion reached is: COS is a bunch of BS. Absolute bullshit, and people are idiots. Strangely though, I think I have more respect for Scientologists as people though I really don't understand them. I mean, I too am an idiot, and there was that one time I discovered I believed Damon Albarn was God. Seriously. But scientologists-as-people aside, The Church of Scientology is TERRIFYING. They took the brother of one of my best friends! He "disconnected" from his family and now they don't see him anymore. Fuckers. hahahaha? ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
This is a thorough discussion of L Ron Hubbard, the origin of the Church of Scientology, and the activities of the Church of Scientology from an insider's perspective. The level of detail is sometimes too much but it proves the veracity of the information provided. The information provided appears to be from past members, some of which were in positions of authority. I learned a lot about Scientology. The bottom line is that it is a scam that preys on the naive. The church sucks money and service from its adherents. Those sucked into this cult are brainwashed and coerced into continued involvement by peer pressure or sometimes brutal tactics. I recommend the book to anyone curious about Scientology. ( )
  GlennBell | Dec 1, 2017 |
Very good run-down and history of Scientology, and not the polemic like too many of these books can be.

Whether it's deemed a self-help phenomena/practice or a religion, Scientology seems to help some people. Alas, there's far more people decrying its negative practices at the higher ends.

It's only cemented my opinion that the guys in charge (both LR Hubbard & David Miscavige) were/are narcisstic and petty and egalomaniacal to serious extremes and have little connection with what their alleged religion espouses.
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
A must read for anyone who has ever heard of Scientology. Could barely put it down when I started. Scientology is not a religion, it is business that preys on people's weaknesses. I just hope Scientology continues its downward slide in popularity. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 27, 2016 |
For my father, and for Lee
with love...
Whatever else might be said about Lafayette Ron Hubbard, he undoubtedly had a strange and unique genius.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618883029, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2011: Whatever your opinion of Scientology, the truth is more extreme. Inside Scientology is journalist Janet Reitman's incredible book-length follow-up to the Rolling Stone cover story of the same name, a 2007 finalist for the National Magazine Award. Founded by wayward science-fiction writer and historical revisionist par excellence L. Ron Hubbard, "America's Most Secretive Religion" is perhaps best known for high-profile adherents like Tom Cruise and John Travolta, but its tenets, processes, and internal organization form a story as surprising and captivating as that of any investigative work released this year. Reitman's extensive research--including hundreds of interviews with devotees and defectors alike--culminates in an expansive, page-turning survey of the origins, development, crises, beliefs, and scandals of this fascinating incorporated religion, all with a fair-minded approach that favors diligent curiosity over judgment at every turn. "It has been my goal to write the first objective modern history of the Church of Scientology," Reitman writes in the book's introduction, and to this end, Inside Scientology succeeds in spades. This book will remain the definitive study of the subject for a long time to come. --Jason Kirk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:19 -0400)

Reitman offers the first full, journalistic history of the Church of Scientology, in an even-handed account that at last establishes the astonishing truth about the controversial religion. She traces Scientology's development from the birth of Dianetics through to the present day.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,032,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible