Fire in the Belly: On Being a Man by Sam…

Fire in the Belly: On Being a Man

by Sam Keen

367None29,390 (3.36)None

this is the first book i've read on masculinity. i was surprised by how much of it i really identified with, not only with how i feel but how i grew up. not sure what that's about exactly. but i really appreciated his approach to masculinity and his thinking on creating a masculinity for a new era. some of this stuff felt a bit dated (it was released in '91) and i kept wondering what he would say now. but overall i really enjoyed this book. i think there were some comments in it that were a bit flippant and offensive, but when read in context didn't seem that bad. i just wished he would have chosen his words more carefully sometimes. again, though, i enjoyed the book. ( )
  shannonkearns | Jan 8, 2011 |
Wow what a read. Im actually going through it for the second time.
Must read for all MEN no matter at which level you are at. it is an amazing compilation of ideas and fundamental masculinity - to the deepest core of your psyche stuff you won't find anywhere else.
Sam did a great job portraying the history of evolution of manhood, analyzing tribal initiation and other psychological aspects of Man - woman relationship. As well as what happens when Men fail to achieve virility and remain mommas boys.
for many reasons I have not gone through my initiation into manhood, this book is helping me as we speak now to expand my horizons and look down into my own psyche to extract some answers. and I did. The best thing(so far) I got out of it is realization of importance of separation from the mother.
I have not seen my mother in 10 years, but I only now have realized, I was still connected to her and it is stopping me from becoming a man that I wish to be. to quote sam keen - when a man can say a sincere no to a woman, only then he can say a sincere yes. a man must separate from women and be comfortable without them first, before he can be truly transparent and fully engaged in a relationship with her and not the other way around.
Also another thing I learned. is for any man to be fullfilled in life he must first decide where he is going and then decide who he is going with.
most of the time it is the other way around what these guys do. and its never good for any relationship.
if you havent read this book. you're missing out on a lot. ( )
  cr34t0red | Jun 11, 2010 |

This groundbreaking book by Sam Keen, a leading philosopher and writer addressing issues of men's consciousness and spirituality, presents an alternative vision of virtues and virility for a modern age. It's an aspiring guide for men seeking new personal ideals of strength, potency, and warriorship for a fuller, more passionate life.

A guide to establishing new personal ideals of heroism, strength, and potency for a fuller life examines the stereotypes, myths, and evolving roles of contemporary men, presenting an alternative vision of virtue and virility. Reprint. 100,000 first printing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:04 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible