Hammered by Kevin Hearne

Hammered

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (3)

Recently added byBookHavenAZ, Nanigae, CakeWalker, private library, ckmason, jennysue_78, Erina39, Robert3167, AmiM

English (82)  German (2)  All languages (84)
Summary: Thor, Norse god of Thunder, has created many enemies over time – and more than one of them is friends with Atticus O’Sullivan, the last remaining Druid on Earth – and someone who has a proven ability to kill gods. Against his better judgement, Atticus is drawn into an assassination attempt on Thor.

My Thoughts: This is the third book of the Iron Druid Chronicles, and although it’s not as fantastic as the first, it is hilarious and kept my husband and myself happily occupied for our long drive to our honeymoon. This series is highly recommended to people who like urban fantasy – but I’d suggest starting with the first. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Jul 10, 2018 |
2.5 stars ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
This takes place outside of Arizona with lots of fun new characters but oh the ending....make sure you have the next book to pick up right away. 🙂 ( )
  whybehave2002 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Hammered by Kevin Hearne is the third in the Iron Druid Chronicles. The story takes a darker turn this time around. Several months have passed and it's time for Atticus to make good on the promises he made to help Leif take out the hammer wielding Norse bully, Thor. As if that isn't enough of a challenge, things are starting to heat up in Tempe. There's a vampire turf war in the making and a group of Russian demon hunters called the Hammers of God are stirring up trouble. It's might be time to get the heck out of dodge for a while.

Many of the things I enjoyed in the first two novels continue in this book. Oberon and Atticus's conversations are still hands down my favorite parts of the series. Oberon's whole theory on bacon lattes is pure genius. Starbucks should seriously consider spending some r&d money on the idea as I'm sure they would sell like crazy! I continue to enjoy Hearne's spin on all the various pantheons and mixing it up with the various deities. The action scenes continue to be fast paced and well written. Getting some background on why Thor is such a bastard and how he's ruined so many lives added a nice detail and helped with the more serious feel of the story.

Unfortunately, this story also feels less consistent over all. Hearne continued to try and interject Atticus's sarcastic humor into the serious side of the story and it felt very forced. Jokes that may have been funny elsewhere ended up falling flat. I also am starting to wish he'd focus his stories better. Either the events in Tempe or the mission to Asgard would have made a great book on its own while the combination made things feel a bit rushed. This is also the first installment that feels like it's more part of a series. Where the first two novels worked well as stand alones, this one's ending has several loose ends that still need to be addressed.

I listened to the audio book narrated by Luke Daniels. Daniels's performance continues to be top notch. I found myself forgetting there was only one narrator at times.

Still, it's an enjoyable and entertaining story. I'm sure I'll continue on to book four at some point. ( )
  Narilka | Feb 12, 2018 |
These are great in audio as well... ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |

Hearne, KevinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
According to popular imagination, squirrels are supposed to be adorable.

Thor, the Norse god of thunder, is worse than a blowhard and a bully—he’s ruined countless lives and killed scores of innocents. After centuries, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson is ready to get his vengeance, and he’s asked his friend Atticus O’Sullivan, the last of the Druids, to help take down this Norse nightmare.

One survival strategy has worked for Atticus for more than two thousand years: stay away from the guy with the lightning bolts. But things are heating up in Atticus’s home base of Tempe, Arizona. There’s a vampire turf war brewing, and Russian demon hunters who call themselves the Hammers of God are running rampant. Despite multiple warnings and portents of dire consequences, Atticus and Leif journey to the Norse plain of Asgard, where they team up with a werewolf, a sorcerer, and an army of frost giants for an epic showdown against vicious Valkyries, angry gods, and the hammer-wielding Thunder Thug himself

To defeat Thor, the Norse god of thunder who has killed scores of innocents, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson teams up with Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, a werewolf, a sorcerer, and an army of frost giants.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,966,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible