Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris

Then We Came to the End

by Joshua Ferris

3,5241921,499 (3.53)159

English (190)  Italian (1)  All languages (191)
This is an impressive and original debut novel, following a set of disparate characters thrown together by working for the same failing advertising agency. It uses a first person plural narrator, who represents the collective experiences and group-think of the office, and explores nuances of rumour, opinion, memory and experience shared or not shared by the various protagonists. It is funny, incisive and ultimately moving. ( )
1 vote bodachliath | Apr 22, 2015 |
I honestly don't know why I finished this book. Told from an almost "we" perspective, like everyone in the office is one entity, it was just alright. Office politics in real life are pretty mundane, and this is also. ( )
  bookwormteri | Feb 2, 2015 |
We heard this book was like the film Office Space and the TV show The Office. Superficially, it is. In terms of tone and humor? We think it is not. Why would we write a review like this? Because the book is written this way. Some of us might find the first person plural perspective annoying, and never quite settle in even by the end of a long book written mostly from that perspective.

If we don't like the characters or situations presented in the book, and fail to connect with its humor, should we soldier on? One of us heard that the book has a really great ending, but is disappointed. We can't take back the time we've wasted on unsatisfying books, but we can learn something.

You can learn from me: do not read this book. ( )
2 vote wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
The employees of an advertising agency are being laid off. They let us into their office lives.

I know some of these people. Ok, most of these people. The character development was done well. There is not much plot other than the office intrigues of these people. It is the gossip and the craziness that goes on in an office. It is a true picture of cubicles and offices. I laughed. I cringed. I liked that we did know what happened to these people after the layoffs were over. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Oct 21, 2014 |
This would seem to be a novel about workplace dynamics, told from a collective anonymous first person perspective which just about matches the perspective of any first person who assumes everybody sees things the same way he/she does. This is only the first great thing about the book. The main great thing about it is that despite unfolding anonymously, it’s very much about a robust set of individuals. Also, it’s very funny in serious circumstances. Just read it. ( )
  randalrh | Oct 6, 2014 |
It is a brave author who embeds the rationale for writing his novel into the novel itself. But 70 pages into Joshua Ferris’s first novel, set in a white-collar office, we meet Hank Neary, an advertising copywriter writing his first novel, set in a white-collar office. Ferris has the good sense to make Neary’s earnest project seem slightly ridiculous. Neary describes his book as “small and angry.” His co-workers tactfully suggest more appealing topics. He rejects them. “The fact that we spend most of our lives at work, that interests me,” he says. “A small, angry book about work,” his colleagues think. “There was a fun read on the beach.”

“Then We Came to the End,” it turns out, is neither small nor angry, but expansive, great-hearted and acidly funny. It is set at the turn of the current century, when the implosion of the dot-com economy is claiming collateral victims down the fluorescent-paneled halls of a Chicago advertising firm. Clients are fleeing, projects are drying up and management is chucking human ballast from the listing corporate balloon. The layoffs come piecemeal, without warning and — in keeping with good, brutal, heinie-covering legal practice — with no rationale as to why any person was let go. . . .
added by PLReader | editNY Times, JAMES PONIEWOZIK (Mar 18, 2007)

Joshua Ferrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abelsen , PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is not the chief disgrace in the world, not to be a unit;–not to be reckoned one character;–not to yield that particular fruit which each man was created to bear, but to be reckoned in the gross, in the hundred, or the thousand, of the party, the section, to which we belong...
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
We are fractious and overpaid. Our mornings lacked promise.
"These stupid enduring artifacts–a bar, a song–that stick around after the love has cast his heart into the sea, they are solace and agony both. She is drawn toward them for the promise of renewal, but the main experience is a deepening of the woe."
This novel chronicles the decline of a Chicago ad office after the dot-com bust through the collective eyes of its workers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031601639X, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month Spotlight Title, April 2007: It's 2001. The dot-com bubble has burst and rolling layoffs have hit an unnamed Chicago advertising firm sending employees into an escalating siege mentality as their numbers dwindle. As a parade of employees depart, bankers boxes filled with their personal effects, those left behind raid their fallen comrades' offices, sifting through the detritus for the errant desk lamp or Aeron chair. Written with confidence in the tricky-to-pull-off first-person plural, the collective fishbowl perspective of the "we" voice nails the dynamics of cubicle culture--the deadlines, the gossip, the elaborate pranks to break the boredom, the joy of discovering free food in the breakroom. Arch, achingly funny, and surprisingly heartfelt, it's a view of how your work becomes a symbiotic part of your life. A dysfunctional family of misfits forced together and fondly remembered as it falls apart. Praised as "the Catch-22 of the business world" and "The Office meets Kafka," I'm happy to report that Joshua Ferris's brilliant debut lives up to every ounce of pre-publication hype and instantly became one of my favorite books of the year. --Brad Thomas Parsons

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:32 -0400)

The remaining employees at an office affected by a business downturn spend their time enjoying secret romances, elaborate pranks, and frequent coffee breaks, while trying to make sense of their only remaining "work," a mysterious pro-bono ad campaign.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,873,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible