Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris

Then We Came to the End

by Joshua Ferris

3,423None1,568 (3.52)146
2007 (31) 2008 (36) 21st century (17) advertising (85) American (41) American literature (16) breast cancer (18) cancer (23) Chicago (89) contemporary (18) contemporary fiction (34) fiction (560) funny (15) humor (134) layoffs (21) literature (17) novel (75) office (94) office life (39) office politics (20) own (15) read (69) read in 2007 (16) read in 2008 (38) satire (25) to-read (91) unread (26) USA (14) work (54) Workplace (30)

English (182)  Italian (1)  All languages (183)
Very dark, over the top, set at an ad agency. The chair! Curious fact. A stack of notepad that said 'Then we came to the end' promoting the book was on the GM office desk of the last store I managed (Syosset). I took it home with me, and have it. ( )
  Marycfd | Mar 15, 2014 |
Third person plural narrator makes this at the same time a tour-de-force and annoying to read. There's no one to get close to, no one to like, no one to care about. Definitely an achievement, but...it's sort of hard to care.

Petrea Burchard
Camelot & Vine ( )
  PetreaBurchard | Feb 9, 2014 |
This book is funny yet poingnent. Anyone who has ever worked in an office will recognize the characters. It's written in an interesting voice. It took a few chapters to get used to the style and to get into the story, but once I did I really enjoyed it, even laughing out loud at times. Check it out. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
The second-person plural POV worked for me, but a lot of other elements didn't. Mainly, the book seemed too smug and convinced of its own trenchancy. I don't think I would have minded this if I'd felt that the book had earned it by being especially clever and trenchant. Sometimes the writing was great, sometimes it really irritated me. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I know the book is an award winner and all that, but I could not dredge up any interest in the characters or their situations. Read over a quarter of the book, but finally got to the end of my tolerance. Hope someone else has better luck!

Bookcrossing: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/8396201/ ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 22, 2014 |
It is a brave author who embeds the rationale for writing his novel into the novel itself. But 70 pages into Joshua Ferris’s first novel, set in a white-collar office, we meet Hank Neary, an advertising copywriter writing his first novel, set in a white-collar office. Ferris has the good sense to make Neary’s earnest project seem slightly ridiculous. Neary describes his book as “small and angry.” His co-workers tactfully suggest more appealing topics. He rejects them. “The fact that we spend most of our lives at work, that interests me,” he says. “A small, angry book about work,” his colleagues think. “There was a fun read on the beach.”

“Then We Came to the End,” it turns out, is neither small nor angry, but expansive, great-hearted and acidly funny. It is set at the turn of the current century, when the implosion of the dot-com economy is claiming collateral victims down the fluorescent-paneled halls of a Chicago advertising firm. Clients are fleeing, projects are drying up and management is chucking human ballast from the listing corporate balloon. The layoffs come piecemeal, without warning and — in keeping with good, brutal, heinie-covering legal practice — with no rationale as to why any person was let go. . . .
added by PLReader | editNY Times, JAMES PONIEWOZIK (Mar 18, 2007)

Joshua Ferrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abelsen , PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is not the chief disgrace in the world, not to be a unit;–not to be reckoned one character;–not to yield that particular fruit which each man was created to bear, but to be reckoned in the gross, in the hundred, or the thousand, of the party, the section, to which we belong...
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
We are fractious and overpaid. Our mornings lacked promise.
"These stupid enduring artifacts–a bar, a song–that stick around after the love has cast his heart into the sea, they are solace and agony both. She is drawn toward them for the promise of renewal, but the main experience is a deepening of the woe."
This novel chronicles the decline of a Chicago ad office after the dot-com bust through the collective eyes of its workers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031601639X, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month Spotlight Title, April 2007: It's 2001. The dot-com bubble has burst and rolling layoffs have hit an unnamed Chicago advertising firm sending employees into an escalating siege mentality as their numbers dwindle. As a parade of employees depart, bankers boxes filled with their personal effects, those left behind raid their fallen comrades' offices, sifting through the detritus for the errant desk lamp or Aeron chair. Written with confidence in the tricky-to-pull-off first-person plural, the collective fishbowl perspective of the "we" voice nails the dynamics of cubicle culture--the deadlines, the gossip, the elaborate pranks to break the boredom, the joy of discovering free food in the breakroom. Arch, achingly funny, and surprisingly heartfelt, it's a view of how your work becomes a symbiotic part of your life. A dysfunctional family of misfits forced together and fondly remembered as it falls apart. Praised as "the Catch-22 of the business world" and "The Office meets Kafka," I'm happy to report that Joshua Ferris's brilliant debut lives up to every ounce of pre-publication hype and instantly became one of my favorite books of the year. --Brad Thomas Parsons

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:32 -0400)

The remaining employees at an office affected by a business downturn spend their time enjoying secret romances, elaborate pranks, and frequent coffee breaks, while trying to make sense of their only remaining "work," a mysterious pro-bono ad campaign.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible