Then We Came to the End

by Joshua Ferris

This wickedly funny, big-hearted novel about life in the office signals the arrival of a gloriously talented new writer.The characters in THEN WE CAME TO THE END cope with a business downturn in the time-honored way: through gossip, secret romance, elaborate pranks, and increasingly frequent coffee breaks. By day they compete for the best office furniture left behind and try to make sense of the mysterious pro-bono ad campaign that is their only remaining "work."… (more)

English (215)  Italian (1)  All languages (216)
K; workplace; read ?
  18cran | Aug 9, 2021 |
Adult fiction; office humor/drama. Pokes fun at an office full of characters during a time of lay-offs. Probably have been funny ten years ago, but is just depressing now--I couldn't finish it. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This book came up on a lot of Best of 2007 lists and I thought it was okay, but it was due back at the library and I just didn't care that I hadn't finished it. So I guess I wasn't all that crazy about it.
  jlweiss | Apr 23, 2021 |
I found this book rather exhausting and depressing. The humor is based in painfully unfulfilling work environments that threaten the employees with lay-offs, focusing on how the employees cope. The narrator’s voice of first person plural gets less and less convincing. There are some sparkles, though. ( )
  WiebkeK | Jan 21, 2021 |
Mad frantic world of the pre crash yuppie office life in advertising agency. Complex characters so somethimes hard to follow plot.
  MarilynKinnon | Sep 13, 2020 |
It is a brave author who embeds the rationale for writing his novel into the novel itself. But 70 pages into Joshua Ferris’s first novel, set in a white-collar office, we meet Hank Neary, an advertising copywriter writing his first novel, set in a white-collar office. Ferris has the good sense to make Neary’s earnest project seem slightly ridiculous. Neary describes his book as “small and angry.” His co-workers tactfully suggest more appealing topics. He rejects them. “The fact that we spend most of our lives at work, that interests me,” he says. “A small, angry book about work,” his colleagues think. “There was a fun read on the beach.”

“Then We Came to the End,” it turns out, is neither small nor angry, but expansive, great-hearted and acidly funny. It is set at the turn of the current century, when the implosion of the dot-com economy is claiming collateral victims down the fluorescent-paneled halls of a Chicago advertising firm. Clients are fleeing, projects are drying up and management is chucking human ballast from the listing corporate balloon. The layoffs come piecemeal, without warning and — in keeping with good, brutal, heinie-covering legal practice — with no rationale as to why any person was let go. . . .
added by PLReader | editNY Times, JAMES PONIEWOZIK (Mar 18, 2007)

Joshua Ferrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abelsen, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is not the chief disgrace in the world, not to be a unit;–not to be reckoned one character;–not to yield that particular fruit which each man was created to bear, but to be reckoned in the gross, in the hundred, or the thousand, of the party, the section, to which we belong...
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
To Elizabeth
We are fractious and overpaid. Our mornings lacked promise.
"These stupid enduring artifacts–a bar, a song–that stick around after the love has cast his heart into the sea, they are solace and agony both. She is drawn toward them for the promise of renewal, but the main experience is a deepening of the woe."

This novel chronicles the decline of a Chicago ad office after the dot-com bust through the collective eyes of its workers.

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316016381, 1600242820, 031601639X

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,467,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible