Angels Watching Over Me

by Michael Phillips

Series: Shenandoah Sisters (1)

Book 1 of SHENANDOAH SISTERS. Two young Southern girls, one the daughter of a plantation owner and one the daughter of a slave, barely survive the onset of the Civil War and the loss of both their families. When these tragic circumstances bring them together, they join forces to discover if they can make a life for themselves. As their preconceptions give way to experience, they gradually learn to value their contrasting and complementing strengths and skills as they face the formidable task of keeping body and soul together in the aftermath of this devastating war. But is it possible the Lord they have come to know has something bigger in mind for the plantation than either of them can imagine?… (more)

This was quite a historical insight for me. Extremely well written by a favorite author. Clearly, throughout this story you can see God's hand guarding these two unlikely companions as they try to survive the end of the American Civil War in the Southern states that tore itself apart, losing more from within than without. ( )
  bdinsman | Sep 10, 2020 |
I highly recommend this book. The emotions, characters,and subjects portrayed in this fine read excel so many other options out there. I was mesmerized from the moment I began reading until the last page. ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
First of series about two southern girls surviving the odds during and after the Civil War. ( )
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
Set during the Civil War, Angels Watching Over Me, is a story about two young women overcoming their differences and working together to survive.

Mayme is a slave girl and Katie is the daughter of a plantation owner. When they are faced with tragedy, they must rely on each other to make it through each day.

I was very excited to read this book, unfortunately, I was quite disappointed. The story line is good. However, there are a lot of inconsistencies and it jumps around more than I would like. The story is narrated by a much older Mayme. She goes back and forth between her story and Katie's. In the beginning of chapter 11 she even says "I know how it is when you’re trying to keep track of what’s going on, and the storyteller jumps about till you get so confused you can’t tell what happened when." I feel that the book could have started at chapter 11 and it would have worked just fine. There is also quite a bit of dialogue and thoughts being repeated.

*Spoilers*

I did not particularly enjoy the portrayal of Katie's character. We are led to believe that she is not very intelligent. On more than one occasion she is put down for not being able to think for herself. But then she magically delivers a baby for a colored girl without any thought or question. And we are given no explanation.

Again, I will say that the main idea of the book is good and I did enjoy the storyline overall. But this is not the style of book that I prefer. I will not be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  BookwormMama14 | Jun 15, 2015 |
This story chronicles the tale of a young black slave girl and a youth white slavemaster's daughter, both orphaned in the post civil war Shenandoah Valley massacre . The black girl, Mary Ann Jukes (known as Mayme) makes her way across the valley to find young Kathleen (Katie) Clairborne alone and frightened and completely unable to take care of herself on her large Rosewood plantation. The two teens bond and begin a journey that will make them defy all the historical prejudices of the south while discovering the reality of two very different worlds. I love the way this book weaves in the tentative musings of two youngsters just beginning to explore a personal faith in the Lord. ( )
  SherylHendrix | Aug 29, 2014 |
I've been making up stories since before I can remember.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,131,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible