The Princess Bride [1987 film] by Rob Reiner

The Princess Bride [1987 film] (1987)

by Rob Reiner (Director), William Goldman (Screenwriter)

Other authors: Andre the Giant (Actor), Adrian Biddle (Cinematography), Peter Cook (Actor), Billy Crystal (Actor), Cary Elwes (Actor)13 more, Peter Falk (Actor), Christopher Guest (Actor), Carol Kane (Actor), Mark Knopfler (Composer), Norman Lear (Executive Producer), Robert Leighton (Editor), Mandy Patinkin (Actor), Chris Sarandon (Actor), Fred Savage (Actor), Andrew Scheinman (Producer), Wallace Shawn (Actor), Mel Smith (Actor), Robin Wright (Actor)

9201513,802 (4.49)60

Having never seen this until my late twenties, I can vouch that this is a movie that holds up even without nostalgia glasses. Everything in this film is delightful -- even the dated effects have their particular charm -- and it will stay one of my favourites for the rest of my life. ( )
  LokiAesir | Aug 21, 2018 |
An elderly man reads the book "The Princess Bride" to his sick and thus currently bedridden adolescent grandson, the reading of the book which has been passed down within the family for generations. The grandson is sure he won't like the story, with a romance at its core, he preferring something with lots of action and "no kissing". But the grandson is powerless to stop his grandfather, whose feelings he doesn't want to hurt. The story centers on Buttercup, a former farm girl who has been chosen as the princess bride to Prince Humperdinck of Florian. Buttercup does not love him, she who still laments the death of her one true love, Westley, five years ago. Westley was a hired hand on the farm, his stock answer of "as you wish" to any request she made of him which she came to understand was his way of saying that he loved her. But Westley went away to sea, only to be killed by the Dread Pirate Roberts. On a horse ride to clear her mind of her upcoming predicament of marriage, Buttercup... Written by Huggo
  DrLed | Mar 7, 2018 |
Hands down one of THE funniest movies ever (and most quoted). You know someone is part of your clan when you state, "My name is Inigo Montoya..." and they finish the statement for you.
  JoyWolfe | Jul 6, 2017 |
Katie and Josh
  LoBiancoBuzzard | Apr 4, 2017 |
I came to this book rather late in life (mid forties) and I have also never seen the film, although I have of course heard much praise for it.
I found it enjoyable, although the Buttercup's Baby bit at the end was confusing (I might just have been rushing to finish before I fell asleep) I liked the playful tome of (both) narrators; and although the high adventure story was absurd, it was fun to have it broken up and hints of the longer more socio-political story behind it. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |

Scheinman, AndrewProducersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shawn, WallaceActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, MelActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wright, RobinActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Based on the novel by William Goldman.  This is the film version in any format: VHS, DVD, Blu-ray Disc, digital copy, etc.

A kindly grandfather sits down with his grandson and reads him a bedtime story. As the grandfather reads the story, the action comes alive in a classic tale of love and adventure. The beautiful Buttercup is kidnapped and held against her will in order to marry the nasty Prince Humperdinck, while Westley (her childhood beau, now returned as the Dread Pirate Roberts) attempts to save her. Along the way he meets an accomplished swordsman and a giant, both of whom become his companions in his quest.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible